U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,232,827 times

Advertisements

We always, always, ALWAYS tip generously, whether our food was delivered by vehicle to our home or by waitperson to our table. Both my spouse and I worked our way through college in food service (both waiting tables and delivering pizza, as a matter of fact) and we are adamant that the person who provides that service for us deserves our tangible thanks.

As a general rule, the minimum that we tip for a pizza delivery is $5.00. That's even if the pizza itself was only $8 or $10; the driver still had to pay the same for gas and wear & tear on his/her vehicle to bring it to us. Over about a $25 total bill, and we scale the tip up to equate 20% of the total.

The other thing we did was to insist that both of our kids (now in their 20's) spend some time working in food service as teens and college students. No matter where they wind up in the professional world, I don't ever want them to lose sight of how hard waitstaff and delivery drivers have to hustle to make ends meet, and the best way to inculcate that in a young person is to insist that they spend some time doing it themselves. It seems to have been effective; our daughter is an even more generous tipper than we are, and our son regularly inspects the tip amounts that we leave to be sure that he agrees it's adequate.

If you can't afford to give your driver or waitperson a decent tip, then you can't afford the meal in the first place. Stay home and cook instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:42 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times
I used to tip well, until the pizza places started charging $2.50 for delivery. The pizza business has traditionally been primarily a delivery business - their prices should have the costs associated with delivery factored into them. I now either round up to the next dollar, or round up and add a dollar. I'd like to tip more, but I'm only willing to pay so much for a pizza. IMHO, the drivers should get together and pressure the pizza chains to drop the delivery charge.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM

763 posts, read 2,052,652 times
They won't drop the delivery charge, because there's a larger group that would complain about "gouging" them on pricing.

It's kind of like the fuel surcharge when you buy a plane ticket. They want you to know that they're keeping the price of the ticket as low as possible, but the cost of fuel has gone up.

By the same token, some pizza restaurants have to pass along certain costs. Some will divide absorb it and pass it along to all customers. Others will pass them along only to delivery customers. Depending upon the restaurant, that may or may not benefit the driver.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:28 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,698,537 times
I'm the big tipper in our household. If they're early or on time, 20%. If they smile and make eye contact, add another 5-10%. For those who deliver, I think the smile and eye contact makes a difference to the customer. If they're late and just shove the pizza in your face (it has happened here in LA), 5-10%. Usually in that case, it's 5%. We order pizza now-and-then. and the pizza shop we order from had the best service in town. We get one deliverer in particular all the time b/c she always smiles and says thank you. We tip her the 30%. And she always chit-chats a little, which I hope it doesn't ruin her scheduling. And the waitstaff at the restaurants know me b/c I leave extra cash on the table. We do tip on the Credit Card reciept, the cash is something the waitstaff do not have to declare for taxes.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
the cash is something the waitstaff do not have to declare for taxes.
Don't say that! You'll get someone in trouble. The law requires them to declare it, and if they don't declare it and get audited, the IRS will look into the computer and say, "OK, they had $x in sales, times 20% tips, and you owe $x". Believe me, tips don't average 20%, and there are ways to deduct, but if you don't declare them, you can get into big trouble, and telling someone not to declare it...

Old 08-05-2008, 04:50 PM

658 posts, read 661,588 times
In college, an 18-yo blonde delivered pizza to our Frat house. She got tipped. But she didn't go home until the next morning.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
In college, an 18-yo blonde delivered pizza to our Frat house. She got tipped. But she didn't go home until the next morning.
TMI !!!!!!!! And she probrably gave you that questionable rash! Should have given her the money!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Don't say that! You'll get someone in trouble. The law requires them to declare it, and if they don't declare it and get audited, the IRS will look into the computer and say, "OK, they had $x in sales, times 20% tips, and you owe $x". Believe me, tips don't average 20%, and there are ways to deduct, but if you don't declare them, you can get into big trouble, and telling someone not to declare it...
I highly doubt the IRS is monitoring this forum!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:40 AM

Actually, I meant giving someone the idea that they're not required to report it.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 AM

112 posts, read 295,575 times
I tip everyone - the pizza guy, the hair cutter lady, the waiter, the barista, my piercer, and the bellhop. My dad taught me that, "Always tip 20%." I will not purchase if I don't have money to tip someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products