U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM

235 posts, read 413,464 times

Advertisements

I always tip well, because the person I'm tipping is usually doing a job or service that I'd prefer not to do. I figure that if I can pay for the service I'm getting, then a decent tip is the least I could do. Last week I went to a happy hour get-together with members of a driving club for a car I recently purchased. My bill was less than $9 total, but I still tipped an additional $5 because a 20% gratuity would be less than $2, and to me, leaving a $2 tip would make me feel guilty.

But hey, I'm also the person who goes out of my way to be extra friendly to all retail and service people because I know they probably don't love their job and the person in line behind me most likely won't be as friendly as me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 PM

12,870 posts, read 13,281,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknine456 View Post
When I was young, my second job was delivery pizza. The restaurant paid me $5 an hour and I worked around 3 hours a night. So the paycheck basically covered the gas I used. To profit, customers had to tip me. A lot of times they didn't tip me.

Sometimes I would deliver about $125 worth of food to a large family that threw some sort of get-together party almost weekly and although I was clean, friendly etc they'd give me exactly $0 and it would take a lot of time helping take their pizzas out of the oven at the restaurant, slicing them, loading them into my car, drive to their house, walk them to the door and drive back to the restaurant.

Sometimes I would deliver very large food orders to a local church that never tipped me. I think their reasoning was probably that they were a church and thus could get away with not tipping.

Sometimes I would delivery large party orders to a fire station and it was the same thing; no tip because they are a fire station.

Sometimes I would delivery to a large accounting building full of upperclass management types. Same thing; large food orders, no tip.

Eventually my car broke down, the owner of the restaurant told me I could deliver once my car was fixed but it costed me about $800 to get my car fixed. I lost a lot of money working there.

Make no mistake about it; Delivery Driver is a job that no one wants to pay for, not the restaurant owner and not the customer. Being a delivery driver is like running a charity service for the business and customer and what you're giving both of them is the use of your car. Someone has to cover the expense of the destruction of the delivery person's car or else there's no point in that person delivering food.

'Delivery Driver' is a job that has no business existing in a community that is unwilling to pay for it.
i am sorry to hear about your experiences, and sometimes the people you think wouldn't be cheap are actually very cheap.
personally, i think that businesses should provide the delivery transportation since they receive the profit from the sale.

i remember once i was visiting in miami beach and a well dressed older gentleman left 10 cents for a tip at breakfast. (he walked it back to the table) i don't know what generation he thought he was living in, but that really stood out in my mind.

maybe someone reading your post will look at it from the delivery driver's perspective next time, and you will have helped another delivery driver out.

i know times are tough, but people really need to be fair to other people who are providing a service. i see the same thing with people getting stiffed on loading merchandise. i watched a woman loading a large screen tv for a guy who watched her (did not help) at sears, and then he didn't tip at all. i don't know if that is common, but it sure didn't seem right.

you people who are doing this know who you are!

Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM

15,232 posts, read 20,176,803 times
I always tip delivery drivers (and everyone else who performs any kind of service). I tip even larger if the pizza guy is delivering to me late on a Saturday night... like last night, when he delivered at 11:45 PM. My area is not really safe for anyone who carries cash late on a Saturday night. The order totaled $32 and I gave him a $15 tip.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 AM

24,314 posts, read 33,557,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I always tip delivery drivers (and everyone else who performs any kind of service). I tip even larger if the pizza guy is delivering to me late on a Saturday night... like last night, when he delivered at 11:45 PM. My area is not really safe for anyone who carries cash late on a Saturday night. The order totaled $32 and I gave him a $15 tip.
Stupid question probably, but...for that kind of money, why don't you just go pick it up yourself and save the fifteen bucks?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM

15,232 posts, read 20,176,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Stupid question probably, but...for that kind of money, why don't you just go pick it up yourself and save the fifteen bucks?
I usually do, BigD, but I'm recovering from extensive foot surgery and cant drive -- or even walk -- right now.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:23 PM

24,314 posts, read 33,557,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I usually do, BigD, but I'm recovering from extensive foot surgery and cant drive -- or even walk -- right now.
Ah, gotcha.

If you were my neighbor I'd help you out by picking up your pizza, if you asked.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,001,568 times
I delivered pizzas as a second job in 2001 for about 6 months. I made good money, made decent tips and actually enjoyed it as a second job. Anything less than $2 was a lame tip. Often my tips were $3+. I would work from 5pm - 11pm. I got paid minimum wage and $1.00 per delivery by the store. I would typically perform 15 - 20 deliveries in this shift. I made out pretty good. I believe minimum wage was $7.

$7 * 6 hours = $42
15 Deliveries @ $1.00/delivery = $15
15 Deliveries @ $3.00/avg = $45

1 Night = $42 + $15 + $45 = $102

Take away $10 in gas = $92

$92 / 6 = $15.33/hr.

Not too shabby for a job that requires no skill. Some nights were better than others. I had a couple nights where I was able to make $20+/hr.

After awhile you know which regulars do not tip. I would see their order come up and although I would be the only drive in the store (others were out on deliveries) I would leave it for the new driver to take (all of us veterans did).

People that have you dig for loose change to make change are a pain. If you want change, fine, but just ask for your paper money back... not the coins.

For those who had such a bad experience as being a deliver driver you need to shop around the pizza places and see who provides you the most pay. Also, do not deliver for the national chains. Deliver for a local chain or an independent pizza place. Try to work for the places that are not super bargain pizza places. People that buy bargain pizza order it because it's cheap and they have no money to afford tipping you.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM

819 posts, read 2,882,569 times
I'm not sure what place the OP worked at, but deliver drivers do not get less then minimum wage. I worked at Dominos for years and I loved it. There are always going to be some people that just don't tip. That is never going to change. Just suck it up and move onto the next delivery.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:41 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,688,536 times
I remember a pizza delivery person was really rude. I ordered a large pizza and held out $2 and was ready to offer more, I innocently asked if this was an adequate tip and he said "No, but it looks like you need the money more than me" and walked off. There are a lot of pizza delivery people that behave with a chip on the shoulder. The customer is already charged a separate delivery charge on top of the cost of the pizza. If a person orders one large pizza that is 9.99 and is then charged $3 plus tax, it comes out to $15. A $2 tip on top of that is adequate and to expect more is selfish. Another guy said "Gee thanks, I won't go spending this all in one setting (with regard to $3 tip on a $20 order). On another occasion, the delivery person didn't even give me my change back (bill was $25 and I gave him $30), he just ran away. And one occasion, the delivery person lied and fudged my credit card statement and put a larger tip (I caught him because I read my statements). While there may be a lot of cheap customers, there are a lot of bad delivery drivers.

I've gotten sick of the poor attitude and sense of entitlement that pizza delivery guys have that I just pick up my own pizza. I've found it's worth it for multiple reasons

(1) You don't have to tip the pizza delivery person
(2) You don't have to pay a delivery charge
(3) It's a quicker process; Delivery will take 45 minutes to an hour. Picking up your pizza and bringing it home takes 20 minutes.
(4) You don't have to deal with the attitude of the pizza delivery person.

If you are ordering multiple pizzas, you can seriously save $10 or more avoiding the above. Next time, pick up your own pizza! Maybe if everyone picks up their own pizzas, the pizza delivery guys will be a little nicer and not act so entitled. I like to tip nice friendly people. I'm a generous tipper with people I like but I have no problem punishing bad service and bad drivers. Sure, there are cheap people who don't tip but there are also people like me who want to tip nice people but will give you nothing if you are a jerk.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-15-2011 at 12:58 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 01:05 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,688,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
I always tip well, because the person I'm tipping is usually doing a job or service that I'd prefer not to do. I figure that if I can pay for the service I'm getting, then a decent tip is the least I could do. Last week I went to a happy hour get-together with members of a driving club for a car I recently purchased. My bill was less than $9 total, but I still tipped an additional $5 because a 20% gratuity would be less than $2, and to me, leaving a $2 tip would make me feel guilty.

But hey, I'm also the person who goes out of my way to be extra friendly to all retail and service people because I know they probably don't love their job and the person in line behind me most likely won't be as friendly as me.
I can tell you are a really nice person but with all due respect, you are a part of the problem but I mean that in a nice way because I used to be like you. LOL People in the service industry today unlike the past, act entitled. The level of service continues to drop yet the expectations increase. It is unfortunate that the customer has to bend over to receive basic service now.

It should be the opposite. If you are in the service industry then its your job to be friendly and serve the customer. You work for me, I don't work for you. If you don't like that, then get out of the service industry. I go out of my way to punish bad service. If someone provides bad service, I will write a letter to corporate with their name listed. I've learned it's a waste to report someone to their supervisor because they just cover up for them. Trust me, I've gotten more free meals, free gift cards and discounts by complaining to corporate. Don't compain to the supervisor or manager; go online or find out who the owner is and write a professional letter and be polite yet direct with regard to the lack of service, list the offender's name and you will often receive a perk and get that person into trouble at the same time. Today's generation does not want to earn their money. They want to show up to work hung over, not smile or be friendly, do the bare minimum yet expects 20%. It's a different attitude from a generation ago. Very few places today provide great service today (ie Nordstrom). Don't accept bad service, demand great service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products