U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,688,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
The pizza place does not pay for the drivers insurance. My husband has a second job delivering pizzas and he has to pay for his own insurance.
The pizza place has increased liability by employing people to drive and deliver pizza. They pay additional insurance to cover the drivers and they charge that to the customers which they didn't do in the past. I didn't say the pizza place covered your husband's auto insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Well wait a second. By your logic we should tip the waiter/waitress because they are paid sub-minimum wage but we should not tip furniture delivery people or baristas because they are already being paid for their work. So are pizza delivery people. So...using your logic...we should not tip a pizza delivery person either if we are not tipping appliance or furniture delivery people. Surely it is more difficult to haul a fridge up my front path than it is to carry a pizza up there?
Pizza Delivery are not paid full wages like movers and baristas. Movers get paid quite well actually. I don't know where you got the idea that pizza delivery are paid full wages. Also, at buffets, people pour your drinks and pick up your dirty plates. Most buffets are not completely a self-service ordeal therefore I will leave $1-$2.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-15-2011 at 01:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,468,362 times
I won't order pizza unless I can afford to tip the delivery person...Same goes for eating in restaurants. I won't eat out unless I can afford the price of the meal plus a tip for the server.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,688,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I won't order pizza unless I can afford to tip the delivery person...Same goes for eating in restaurants. I won't eat out unless I can afford the price of the meal plus a tip for the server.
I don't put my brain on autopilot. I think before I do anything. I will not mindlessly tip someone well if they did not deserve it. I don't want to reinforce bad habits and provide the impression to the service industry that they can provide mediocre service and still receive 20%. It is their job to provide good service and be friendly. It's unfortunate the service industry devolved over the last 20 years to the point that servers feel entitled to tips when in the past, they worked hard to earn tips.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-15-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,468,362 times
Food servers have to report a percentage of their sales as "tipped income." The state and IRS want to make sure they get some tax dollars for the tips that servers receive...There have been so many cut-backs through the years in stores and restaurants...Employees are spread thin these days. I don't want to short-change them...Most are super hard workers doing the best they can to try to support their families on very low wages...Sure there are "lazy" and "snotty" employees in every industry. But all in all most of the people who work in the food service industry are decent and caring people who should be paid better wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products