U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:50 PM

3,632 posts, read 14,786,809 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, I really support delivery drivers, but dude, you make more than minimum wage on average. On a good night you make over $18/hour. Your first post makes it sound like "poor little pizza driver".

I delivered for Domino's for 5 years (back in undergrad) and made $16-20/hr on average every single week. That includes a wage of $6/hour (worked up from $5.15 over time). (I was making more than my starting salary when I completed my Master's degree.) At the time I was doing this job, I laughed at how easy money it was. I didn't make people feel sorry at how much work it was for little money. I felt great that I was making more than any of my friends. It was one of my easiest jobs.

But you really have to look at the average for the week or month, not each day. Yeah, I had bad, bad nights, but then I would have extremely great ones, too. We also got $.50 per delivery and that adds up. If you're super fast you can make so much money, it's crazy. It's not a bad job for college students or older people not knowing what they want to do in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 01:35 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,115,714 times
It's like those people that tip bad servers 10-20%.

They are mostly students that work mainly weekends and make over $100 in one night just in tips. It's a heck of a lot more than I ever got paid for being in Customer Service and I NEVER was rude to anyone until they were TOTALLY out of line and started swearing at me. Then it was just to tell them I was hanging up on them now....

Customer Service BTW, does NOT get TIPS!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 06:21 PM

1,352 posts, read 5,836,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Don't get me wrong, I really support delivery drivers, but dude, you make more than minimum wage on average. On a good night you make over $18/hour. Your first post makes it sound like "poor little pizza driver".

I delivered for Domino's for 5 years (back in undergrad) and made $16-20/hr on average every single week. That includes a wage of $6/hour (worked up from $5.15 over time). (I was making more than my starting salary when I completed my Master's degree.) At the time I was doing this job, I laughed at how easy money it was. I didn't make people feel sorry at how much work it was for little money. I felt great that I was making more than any of my friends. It was one of my easiest jobs.

But you really have to look at the average for the week or month, not each day. Yeah, I had bad, bad nights, but then I would have extremely great ones, too. We also got $.50 per delivery and that adds up. If you're super fast you can make so much money, it's crazy. It's not a bad job for college students or older people not knowing what they want to do in life.

Yeah we have alot of good nights ........thats a fact but if no one tips then we are out there for nothing.......plus you know how it is ....well here in my store at least we have busy seasons and slow seasons....so when the summer is over and everyone goes back to thier home states then i wont be making that $100 a night anymore on a good night......before the summer started this year there was about 2 months that i would walk out on a good night with only 50 bucks and 20 of that went to gas.......i guess it depends on what area you work in.....i work in Lake Buena Vista near all the Disney attractions ...there's not alot of residential stuff out here

Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 AM

238 posts, read 765,407 times
I always tip at least 5.00

Old 01-12-2008, 08:24 AM

250 posts, read 857,075 times
I always tip... usually it's around 10%, but I didn't realize you guys got paid less than minimum wage. If you're getting less than minimum wage AND driving your own vehicle, I'll go a little heavier on the tip, then.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,401,583 times
I tip 18-20% wherever I go, of if I have something delivered to me. I don't tip for flowers delivered to me, though, because I didn't order them.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,457,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I tip 18-20% wherever I go, of if I have something delivered to me. I don't tip for flowers delivered to me, though, because I didn't order them.
Ditto - unless the service is awful or staff is rude

Old 01-12-2008, 02:24 PM

116 posts, read 413,610 times
Of course I tip the pizza delivery person, usually about 4 or 5 bucks.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,646,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnycakes View Post
I always tip... usually it's around 10%, but I didn't realize you guys got paid less than minimum wage. If you're getting less than minimum wage AND driving your own vehicle, I'll go a little heavier on the tip, then.
Actually, I've not know a single person who made less than minimum wage for being a pizza delivery driver.

I know SEVERAL people who worked at different places.

Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Cal'z, Papa Johns.

Each one pays at least minimum wage - before tips.

As for the car thing, it's true. They use their own car. However, 2 of the 4 I know people at, the drivers fill up their tank before work and at the end of the day, they fill up on the way back to the store and give the receipt to the manager who gives them that in a cash amount.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 AM

12,300 posts, read 17,114,708 times
I always tip well. I don't get pizza, but the Thai, Indian, Mexican, and local deli delivery guys know me by name- especially when the school cafeterias have weird hours on holidays! I order often from the deli down the street. The delivery guy is the owner of the deli, which, while it has the largest menu I've ever seen in my life (breakfast foods, all kinds of sandwiches ranging from chopped liver to gyro to falafel to regular old ham and cheese), it in a really bad location so it's average consumers comes almost solely from my college. In a way, that's a good thing.... the delivery guy/owner knows me and often will slip things into my order. If it's the end of the day, I'll get extra fries, a carton of falafel, a carton of potato salad, whatever is left over. Delivery saves me 20 minutes walking in the cold/snow/rain so I tip well- at least $5. Even when I go to the deli, I always tip at least a buck or two.

I figure, if it saves me from scrounging my own dorm food or microwaving a meal, it's worth to pay a few dollars for good service and people who know you by name. Most of the local places are more than accommodating for my gluten free diet and give student discounts, so I'm willing to go the extra mile for them too. Plus, no chains, so the delivery guy is generally a manager or owner of the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products