U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 05:12 PM

8,265 posts, read 18,719,452 times

Advertisements

Always and the Chinese delivery guy, too.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 AM

312 posts, read 986,129 times
Why should waiters or pizza delivery personnel be tipped if nobody tips the person working in the grocery store from 9am to 9pm making $6 per hour?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:12 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,896,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
Why should waiters or pizza delivery personnel be tipped if nobody tips the person working in the grocery store from 9am to 9pm making $6 per hour?
Most (not all) waiters make $2.13 per hour. The grocery store worker isn't going around and bringing the stuff you're paying for to your shopping cart either.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:21 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,675,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
Because that's the cost of doing business.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM

621 posts, read 2,950,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
It's like those people that tip bad servers 10-20%.

They are mostly students that work mainly weekends and make over $100 in one night just in tips. It's a heck of a lot more than I ever got paid for being in Customer Service and I NEVER was rude to anyone until they were TOTALLY out of line and started swearing at me. Then it was just to tell them I was hanging up on them now....

Customer Service BTW, does NOT get TIPS!!!
I was a server. If you make over a $100 in tips in a night, that does not mean you are going to take $100 home. Most people do not realize that a server has to "tip-out" other workers of a restaurant. We have to tip out the bar, bussers and some places make servers tip the hosts (which I think is ridiculous). So you've made $100, but now you are walking out with $75 because you have tipped out. Then you figure taxes. Taxes are not being taken out of that. So at the end of the year you have to pay all your taxes, unless you put some of your money aside each night for taxes.

Here in the state of VA, servers make $2.13 an hr + tips. We don't get a pay check. All of the hours we work for $2.13 is going to taxes. So yes we LIVE on our tips. So when you look at that $100 it's truly not that much. Especially for all the sh** we have to put up serving people who are ungrateful, pretentious, and a lot of the times arrogant. I used to love my job (most of the time), but then I couldn't take it anymore.

If you have to complain because a piece of penne got in with your spaghetti, then please go crawl under a rock. DON'T go out to eat. WE don't want to serve you. I always found it funny when a customer would say "I'm never coming back here" I always wished I could say "Good Riddance-PLEASSSE don't come back" Do you think WE care if you do or don't come back. The CEO of the company MAY care, but I'm sure to bet the one you're yelling at could really give 2 sh**s.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I tip the local pizza place's delivery drivers. I do not tip for the chains that charge a delivery fee. IMO that replaces the tip. If I had to tip on top of the delivery fee, that pizza wouldn't be worth the money and I'd always order from the local business.

FWIW, I'd love to work toward eliminating the exemptions from the Fair Labor Standards Act. Everyone, including waitstaff, should be covered. Then instead of arbitrary tipping on top of a set price, we'd all be working on the same system.
I guarantee A LOT of servers would quit if they switched it to a set minimum wage. Why would they go through all of that for $6 or $7 an hour? They could just go down to the local store and be a cashier. It's not worth it. If you're making the same amount of money no matter what, what is the incentive of the server being nice or getting your food to you in a timely fashion? If we did this not many people would be happy with their dining experience, because the server won't care when or how you get your food.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
well the norm is that most black people do not tip......and that is not being racist ....its just a fact.......ive gotten good tips from some black people......like this guy that had gold teeth all in his mouth with tatoos all over.....he gave me 10 dollars and i was really happy..........but most of the time i deliver to a black person they will not tip and some ask for thier 15 cents of coins back...its terrible......i wasnt raised like that...i was raised to wear if i didnt have the money to tip someone for serving me...then i didnt order food.......well i dont know what this percent of black people were taught if taught at all......

Now the worst people are people from England.......i never get a tip from them unless they say theyve been here for years and even then most of the time i still dont get a tip......i know thier culture is different and they get paid for my type of job more over there but they dont realize we get less than minimum wage here....i know they dont know because they have a smile on thier face and i sense that they arent "stiffing"...me to be rude at all..
I think the reason people from England don't tip is because I believe they don't tip over there. Everything is standard pay and they don't realize they are supposed to tip. I know it sucks.

Unfortunately, as well, I have noticed the same thing about a lot of AA not tipping or tipping very cheaply. I know in the restaurant that I worked at no one wants to wait on AA, not because we are racist, but because of the stereotype of not tipping. It's very hard to not stereotype when it's a common occurence. Even AA servers felt the same way. Ask pretty much any server and they will tell you. Now I'm not saying ALL, but a lot.

Oh and yes I do tip the pizza guy.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:01 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,896,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
I think the reason people from England don't tip is because I believe they don't tip over there. Everything is standard pay and they don't realize they are supposed to tip. I know it sucks.

Unfortunately, as well, I have noticed the same thing about a lot of AA not tipping or tipping very cheaply. I know in the restaurant that I worked at no one wants to wait on AA, not because we are racist, but because of the stereotype of not tipping. It's very hard to not stereotype when it's a common occurence. Even AA servers felt the same way. Ask pretty much any server and they will tell you. Now I'm not saying ALL, but a lot.

Oh and yes I do tip the pizza guy.

You know when I used to deliver pizzas, one of the AA kids we hired said he never tipped because he wasn't raised that way, not to mention his family was on the lower income side, so pizza was a rare treat to order. However, after delivering pizzas, he said he always makes sure to tip them. Also, I wouldn't sterotype too much, because in my department I am the only white person, but all of my AA coworkers tip and they, like most of us, base it on service.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:17 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,756,563 times
We tip everyone - pizza delivery, restaurant servers, the sushi chef, landscapers, moving people, our cleaning ladies...everyone that does a service we are happy about..tip varies on our level of happiness. What if we ever have to be in their place?

Old 03-15-2008, 12:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,331,661 times
I did not like Reagan or his policies, but somehow his "trickle down economics" phrase always comes to mind when I tip. I always tip generously because these days, you never know when you might end up on the other side of the door or counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products