Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

I always tip well regardless of who it is. The reason people don't tip the pizza delivery person is the pizza joints started charging a delivery charge. In the past, they never charged that. The pizza delivery charge is used by the pizza joints to pay for the driver's insurance. I'm sorry but that is just their way of putting additional costs of running a business on the customer. Many people don't feel that is fair. You are charging us a delivery charge and we are expected to tip on top of it. This is why people don't tip. They don't realize the driver sees nothing of that delivery charge.

My solution is I pick up my own pizza because you don't have to pay a delivery charge or tip. I can pick up my pizza in 10-15 minutes. If I choose delivery, I won't receive my pizza for one hour.

If I choose to have my pizza delivered, I always tip well. To me, it's like paying for valet or any premium service. You receive additional service so you have to pay for it. No one is forcing you to choose delivery. You can pick up your pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
We also tip furniture delivery people, it is just the right thing to do.
No it is the wrong thing to do. Paying $20 dollars for a pizza is one thing and a $1000 dollars for a couch is another thing entirely. Furniture is marked up so much in this country so we are overpaying for furniture even with deals and incentives. The last thing anyone should be doing is tipping their furniture delivery person. If you do that, all you are doing is encouraging the furniture industry to stop paying their drivers knowing they will be paid in tips by the consumers.

This is what happened to the restaurant industry. Servers used to be paid full wages by restaurants. Customers used to tip on top of that for good service. The restaurant industry recognized that and shifted the cost burden on to the consumers. A more recent example is the guided tour industry. People started tipping their tour guides. It got to the point that tour companies stopped paying their guides knowing they will be paid by the tourists. Now, tourists are expected to tip their guides on top of the expensive fees they are already paying for the tours.

We just have to use common sense. Tip your pizza delivery guy. Tip your waiter but for godsake, don't tip your furniture delivery person, the Starbucks person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I eat at a smorgasboard buffet once in a while and you serve yourself, get your own drinks, etc. You are not supposed to tip so I don't. It is covered in the price.
Other places are cheaper( chinese all you can eat, another buffet) and also mostly self serve( you get your own food but they refill your drinks). I tip about 10% or a little more at those places. Tipping is part of the costs of eating out.
People should only tip if the service warrants it. Even at a smorgasboard, your drinks are filled and plates are picked up so you should tip there too. Just because a Chinese buffet is cheaper does not mean the servers at the smorgasboard are being paid more. You should not tip 10% at a buffet. That is a lot of money. You order and pay for your own food. You get your own plates. You get your own food. That is not the same type of service that is afforded you by a waiter. You should leave some money as a courtesy but certainly not 10%. If my wife and I eat at a buffet, I will leave a couple of dollars but I'm not going to leave 10% of my bill. Excessive tipping is just stupidity and people not choosing to think about what they are spending their money on. It's one thing to courteous and another thing to be stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I tip everyone that is providing a service in the service industry. And, if I can't afford to tip, I do not utilize their services- 20% is the norm, but if they go above and beyond I aim for a bit higher.

I even tip the cashier at Dunkin Donuts after she/he makes my coffee and rings me up ... I drop 50-cents into their cup that's usually on the counter.
Well then you need to tip everyone because everyone provides a service. Do you tip the cashier at McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell and Wendys? Why not? They are also providing a service. The person at Taco Bell prepares your burrito. In fact, often times they provide more of a service than the guy who fills you coffee at Dunkin Donuts. Do you tip the cashier at Walmart or Target? Why not? They take your items, ring them up and bag them. That is a service. Do you tip your doctor? Why not? He or she provides a service. Do you tip your lawyer or accountant? The point is everyone provides a service so you can't tip everyone who provides a service. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-13-2010 at 01:51 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 05:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
No it is the wrong thing to do. Paying $20 dollars for a pizza is one thing and a $1000 dollars for a couch is another thing entirely. Furniture is marked up so much in this country so we are overpaying for furniture even with deals and incentives. The last thing anyone should be doing is tipping their furniture delivery person. If you do that, all you are doing is encouraging the furniture industry to stop paying their drivers knowing they will be paid in tips by the consumers.
I do not tip appliance or furniture delivery people. I also did not tip my movers. I had intended to but they did such an awful job that I ended up filing a claim for damage instead. No tip for them.

Quote:
This is what happened to the restaurant industry. Servers used to be paid full wages by restaurants. Customers used to tip on top of that for good service. The restaurant industry recognized that and shifted the cost burden on to the consumers. A more recent example is the guided tour industry. People started tipping their tour guides. It got to the point that tour companies stopped paying their guides knowing they will be paid by the tourists. Now, tourists are expected to tip their guides on top of the expensive fees they are already paying for the tours.

We just have to use common sense. Tip your pizza delivery guy. Tip your waiter but for godsake, don't tip your furniture delivery person, the Starbucks person
Well wait a second. By your logic we should tip the waiter/waitress because they are paid sub-minimum wage but we should not tip furniture delivery people or baristas because they are already being paid for their work. So are pizza delivery people. So...using your logic...we should not tip a pizza delivery person either if we are not tipping appliance or furniture delivery people. Surely it is more difficult to haul a fridge up my front path than it is to carry a pizza up there?

Quote:
People should only tip if the service warrants it. Even at a smorgasboard, your drinks are filled and plates are picked up so you should tip there too. Just because a Chinese buffet is cheaper does not mean the servers at the smorgasboard are being paid more. You should not tip 10% at a buffet. That is a lot of money. You order and pay for your own food. You get your own plates. You get your own food. That is not the same type of service that is afforded you by a waiter. You should leave some money as a courtesy but certainly not 10%. If my wife and I eat at a buffet, I will leave a couple of dollars but I'm not going to leave 10% of my bill. Excessive tipping is just stupidity and people not choosing to think about what they are spending their money on. It's one thing to courteous and another thing to be stupid.
Any restaurant where I get up and get my own food and fill my own drinks is a non-tipping situation.

Quote:
Well then you need to tip everyone because everyone provides a service. Do you tip the cashier at McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell and Wendys? Why not? They are also providing a service. The person at Taco Bell prepares your burrito. In fact, often times they provide more of a service than the guy who fills you coffee at Dunkin Donuts. Do you tip the cashier at Walmart or Target? Why not? They take your items, ring them up and bag them. That is a service. Do you tip your doctor? Why not? He or she provides a service. Do you tip your lawyer or accountant? The point is everyone provides a service so you can't tip everyone who provides a service. You have to draw a line somewhere.
I don't tip those people because they are already being paid for the work they are doing.

Really...honestly...pizza delivery people make way more money per hour than a waiter. I tip them because I am expected to and because I do not want surprises on my pizza next time I call them. However, by your logic, I should not be tipping them at all. It's not like they are making $2.13 an hour. The ones near me start at $10-$12 an hour.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:01 PM

609 posts, read 1,260,128 times
i cant imagine why someone wouldnt tip the pizza guy. granted...i usually pick my pizza up because the place is right down the street...but if im ever to lazy to do it, im grateful that they'll bring me my dinner lol. i always tip well...but its probably because i used to work in a restaurant as a hostess and spent a lot of time watching servers bust their butts only to be left some change on the table...its just not right. it makes me angry.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
i cant imagine why someone wouldnt tip the pizza guy. granted...i usually pick my pizza up because the place is right down the street...but if im ever to lazy to do it, im grateful that they'll bring me my dinner lol. i always tip well...but its probably because i used to work in a restaurant as a hostess and spent a lot of time watching servers bust their butts only to be left some change on the table...its just not right. it makes me angry.
Pizza delivery people do not work for $2.13 an hour or whatever waiters/waitresses make, which is why I feel like I should not have to tip them (especially the $5 per pie some of them seem to expect).

However I do tip them because I do not want surprises on my food. That is the only reason.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Thaspecial, it's too bad you have to encounter cheap bastards. I'm one of the biggest complainers about how "tipping" is carried away in the service world (tipping for everything), but delivery people is one of those I like to tip well. Sometimes they look surprised at what I give them.

I, too, would like to read responses from those who don't tip.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
There are lots of people I don't think should be tipped.....but the pizza guy always gets one.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I normally just pick my pizza up, that way I can avoid tipping the driver and most days it's just easier to pick it up myself or eat at the pizza place.

I have been considering ordering pizza and having it delivered. I tip well at the restaurant and it would not be any different with the driver.

I'll admit there have been times I have not left a tip for a waitress or waiter (cash) and if I was short on cash (or didn't have any at all), I'd write a tip on the debit card receipt.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I always tip the pizza delivery person. Always have. Now that my son is that person, I know that they do not get paid for their gas and that even if you pay extra for delivery - it does NOT go to the guy who does the delivering. So tip your delivery person!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 AM

171 posts, read 444,460 times
Yikes. I'm so sorry that there are people who do not tip drivers. I rarely splurge on ordering in, but as someone who is severely heat intolerant, and cannot risk getting stuck in traffic on a 90+ day to go grab a pizza or chinese food, I am extremely appreciative that someone brings it to me. Those are usually the days when I physically feel the worst, and I'm still kind to the person who rings the doorbell. I factor a decent tip into whether I can afford to order. Same thing with eating in a sit down restaurant.

No idea what's up with rude people, but sadly they exist everywhere. I've only read page one, but hopefully you've made some of the non-tippers and those who are mean to delivery folks, rethink their behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products