Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 AM

434 posts, read 1,736,690 times

Advertisements

I always tip depending on service. I hate that people have decided we are OBLIGATED to tip. It is partly the fault of the restaurant because they pay nothing and expect customers to fill in the rest. I think they should be required to pay minimum wage and let a tip...be a TIP. If I get good service I tip well but if I don't I tip nothing (which makes my husband crazy... he is a pushover and would always tip) For the pizza guy, I decide when he gets there. If he pulls up to my house with loud music blaring out of his car, steps on my flowers to get to the door, gives me a smashed pizza, smacks gum in my face while I count out the money, and cranes his neck to look over my shoulder into my house...he gets zilch. If he pulls up quietly comes to the door ON THE SIDEWALK and says "how are you this evening ma'm," is clean, neat and respectful while giving me my NOT SMASHED pizza...I add $10 to our $24 order. (We order the same thing every time.) But I don't feel REQUIRED to tip to make up what the restaurant doesn't pay. I tip for service and manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Sorry that was so long but can anyone tell me your reasons for not tipping the pizza driver?....be honest if its a racial thing too......or if it is just something you didnt know was so important to the driver.....Thank You
I'm curious about your last question...Have you found this to a be a 'racial thing' in your experience? I can't comment on that since I'm not too sure what that meant.

But anyhoo, I always tip the pizza person. It's not an issue of my pizza came early, so i'll give you more or this pizza feels cold so I'll give you a buck! I don't spend time with the delivery person so I can't judge how well his service was so everyones getting the same, I think it's only fair.

Now unlike a server in a restuarant, I can decide how well I liked the service so the tip can vary in that case. But if someone's delivering my pizza, I've already done the math and your tip money is waiting for you before I have any real interaction with you. So if you're early or late or the most pleasant person or the worst person, chances are you're getting the same tip.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I always tip the pizza delivery guy, as well as the guy who brings our Chinese, and Italian, etc. Sometimes I would like to hold back if they forget to bring parmesan cheese or say that I didn't ask for any (I did) but don't want to seem petty. I actually always order from the same place just because we have established that I am a good tipper and I have noticed that when you are a repeat customer and consistently tip well, the problems dissapear.

I'm also confused by the racial question as well - do you mean that you might be missing out on tips because of your own race, or that certain races just don't know that they should be tipping? From the tipper's perspective (I have never worked in the service industry but know many who have and do) I wouldn't adjust my tip according to the race of the driver - that is just so ridiculous in my point of view. I live in LA so most of the deliveries are made by minorities but I never even put any thought to that really. I just see the friendly face and smile and trust that we will not be having to cook or drive that night - what could be better?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
On a medium pizza with two toppings, I always give the driver $5.00. If I order wings along with the pizza, I add a few extra dollars. My additude is time is money
Are you saying that you tip $8.00 for a medium pizza with two toppings and a side of wings? If you tip over 50%, you've got me beat by a long shot. Maybe I've misunderstood your post.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 AM

143 posts, read 577,421 times
I always tip the pizza guy 20% and if at a sit down place depending on quality of service 15% to 30%

Old 06-26-2007, 10:55 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
I always tip depending on service. I hate that people have decided we are OBLIGATED to tip. It is partly the fault of the restaurant because they pay nothing and expect customers to fill in the rest. I think they should be required to pay minimum wage and let a tip...be a TIP. If I get good service I tip well but if I don't I tip nothing (which makes my husband crazy... he is a pushover and would always tip) For the pizza guy, I decide when he gets there. If he pulls up to my house with loud music blaring out of his car, steps on my flowers to get to the door, gives me a smashed pizza, smacks gum in my face while I count out the money, and cranes his neck to look over my shoulder into my house...he gets zilch. If he pulls up quietly comes to the door ON THE SIDEWALK and says "how are you this evening ma'm," is clean, neat and respectful while giving me my NOT SMASHED pizza...I add $10 to our $24 order. (We order the same thing every time.) But I don't feel REQUIRED to tip to make up what the restaurant doesn't pay. I tip for service and manners.
Awesome. I wish I could be like you, seriously. I'm the pushover that always gives at least 20 % (in a restaurant), but I'll decide later whether or not we should frequent the establishment again or not. If a place has good food and/or good service, I'll go out of my way to go back there.

Sorry, but I'm gonna rant here; I think this is a good topic. I go to lunch on Friday with somebody like me. We believe in Karma, and God. In God I trust and I think that God is the source of "my" money. I can't prove 100% that that's true or not, but so far I've lived without fear in the money dept. We're pretty good tippers. If someone comes to eat with us, we see that they tip at least 20% as well. If they don't, we demand it. If they still don't, we cover the slack and take them out and beat their-er, we don't have lunch with that person again.

I don't stand in judgement of people who don't tip or people who think a buck is a tip for a $15 meal. I just think that they are cheap and/or have a fear of money. I HATE going out to do stuff with these people. But they may have children and we don't. Maybe things are different when you have children. You're not going to get a good tip from everybody, but some might pick up the slack.

I delivered pizza back in 84 and the first night I went out (4 hour shift) I evidently broke the record on tips. The gal who's record I broke put me on days the next morning and made me prep food instead of doing deliveries. I quit and her brother (the owner) told me to stay. He asked me what he could do to make me stay. He offered more money. I said, "Fire your sister". I haven't delivered pizza since. Well, that's not true. I kind of delivered frozen pizzas for a year.

What is a good tip for $18.00 worth of pizza? What's with the pizza deliverers' that drive the 2006 Mustangs?

PS: I think that you should always tip the pizza deliverer because they are offering you a service to your home and using their gas ($3.00+ per) and they aren't out there to lose money. If they are good at it, they will make good money and continue to deliver pizza. If you stiff them, you're stealing from them. This is worse for you than it is for them.

Last edited by McGowdog; 06-26-2007 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: add

Old 06-26-2007, 06:27 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I usually tip delivery people $2 - $3; the bill itself is never over $20 (usually $10 - $15; it's just my husband and me) so that seems reasonable to me. I would never not tip the delivery person; I greatly appreciate their willingness to work for pennies delivering food I am too lazy to go out for!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I'm curious about your last question...Have you found this to a be a 'racial thing' in your experience? I can't comment on that since I'm not too sure what that meant.
Yeah to an extent it is a racial thing ...not by my opinion...but by the percentages of certain people that don't tip.....

Some of it is racial and some is cultural..

I have recieved no tip from every kinda person i can think of....and bad manners too......i am usually in a good mood and try my best not to show my personal frustrations to a customer because i see through thier eyes .........i think "How do i like to be treated by someone serving me?"...."do i like a smile on thier face or for them to say something to break the silence?" ....so that is how i am before i pull up to all my customers.....there were a couple times ....like 2 times or 3 that i remember that i might have seemed like an ******* because i let something in my personal life show on my face....but i learned to keep that to myself......

well on to the racial thing........i deliver in the tourist area in Lake Buena Vista.....and i meet all kinds of nationalities on thier vacations.......and ive worked in the Deltona store too up in a more local type of area.....well the norm is that most black people do not tip......and that is not being racist ....its just a fact.......ive gotten good tips from some black people......like this guy that had gold teeth all in his mouth with tatoos all over.....he gave me 10 dollars and i was really happy..........but most of the time i deliver to a black person they will not tip and some ask for thier 15 cents of coins back...its terrible......i wasnt raised like that...i was raised to wear if i didnt have the money to tip someone for serving me...then i didnt order food.......well i dont know what this percent of black people were taught if taught at all......

Now the worst people are people from England.......i never get a tip from them unless they say theyve been here for years and even then most of the time i still dont get a tip......i know thier culture is different and they get paid for my type of job more over there but they dont realize we get less than minimum wage here....i know they dont know because they have a smile on thier face and i sense that they arent "stiffing"...me to be rude at all..

well those are the 2 groups that i really dont like to deliver to...but i am so used to thier habits that i just mark it down as no tip before i get there and it helps me mentally...and i am even more excited to get a tip if they do give one

but other than those 2 races ive had terrible attitudes from all other races to...and terrible tips ....but they are the majority in this kinda mentallity

Old 06-26-2007, 06:49 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
For what it's worth, I just had pizza delivered to our home for the first time a few weeks ago from Domino's, and I gave the driver a $15 tip because he was "cute" (I'll admit that I've been a bit too lonely as of late!) LOL!

In the future, regardless of whether or not I get all googly-eyed over the driver, I'll still tip QUITE generously. I work with the public as well, and I know that while the good customers tend to outnumber the bad apples, those negative encounters you have can depress you and sour your mood for quite some time. I know your job isn't easy (especially when I hear about idiots ordering pizzas for delivery during heavy snowfalls), and I make it a point to see to it that you and your peers feel appreciated for what you do for us.

By the way, if you work for Domino's, tell them that I'll sell my soul to them to find out how they make their cheesy bread! Mmmmmm....

Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
I dont expect a tip but i also shouldnt feel the need to do more than my job and that is to take food from point a to point b....with my best attitude and try to be polite to the customer....i dont expect that i should be some guy that has to be an intellectual when i get to your door...or act like i am supposed to entertain the customer....i keep it brief and polite with customers because there are all differnet types of moods i run into....and dont wanna be to happy or depressed looking when i get to your door because i dont know what is goping on in your personal lives....if i came to the door with that fake giant smile on my face and you had just found out that your best friend died theother day..then you would probably want to beat my a.s.s.....and if you were in a good mood and i came to the door looking too depressed then you would think i was rude...so i try to make it short and brief in the 15 to 20 seconds we have together.......but i do get into converstaions sometimes when the mood is right on both sides..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products