Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times

Advertisements

Why does there gotta be so many dollar stores in the 'da hood'??

Not to worry,

soon to be replaced by Yuan Stores and Family Peso....

Last edited by alphaluce; 08-25-2010 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:07 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Why is there so many dollar stores in 'da hood'...?

Seems everytime I turn around, a new one is under construction...

Dollar store
Dollar General
Super dollar store
Discount dollar
Family dollar

I mean on and on and on...

Why do they, the people who open these stores, underestimate the spending or buying power of people in 'da hood'??

I've never seen so many nice cars before...

People will rise up to whatever bar or expectations you have for them...
And by constantly granting building permits for these dollar stores, what sublime message does that send to people in 'da hood'?

It's basically saying 'you cheap, can't afford much, so we'll make it easy for ya by stuffing as many dollar stores in 'da hood' that we can, and you can discover how amazingly well Chinese products are made'...

Your concern for the plight of Americans living in "Da Hood" is indeed heartening. Here's my suggestion to you; take a trip down the "Da Hood" and talk with Americans that you meet there. Explain your concerns about how you feel they are perceived and what you feel needs to be done to address this issue.

Once these Americans in the "Da Hood" feel your overwhelming warmth and sincerity I'm sure they will treat you accordingly.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Your concern for the plight of Americans living in "Da Hood" is indeed heartening. Here's my suggestion to you; take a trip down the "Da Hood" and talk with Americans that you meet there. Explain your concerns about how you feel they are perceived and what you feel needs to be done to address this issue.

Once these Americans in the "Da Hood" feel your overwhelming warmth and sincerity I'm sure they will treat you accordingly.
People in 'da hood'...recieve me oddly...I mean many of them do like me, but don't quite know what to do with me once they have me...

They look upon me as if I'm a distant alien relative from another planet...

But it's all good in 'da hood'....

They know I care...

I'm not from 'da hood' though, I'm originally from rural farm town America...hard to believe huh...but yep, combines in the fields behind, and bi-plane crop dusters flying over head....

Now back to dollar stores...actually I was unaware they were spreading into upper income communities...

I just can't quite picture someone in a Jaguar or Bently having their butler take them to 'Family Dollor' for a deal on canned yams...

Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I don't think these dollar-type stores are booming just in "da hood" as I see them in almost every town center plaza across 3 or 4 states that I most often frequent during the weekends. The economy situation isn't helping as more people struggle to make ends meet but some people also like to play the role of a spendthrift. While some items may be cheaply put together, there are times when you really can find a good deal at those places. Why do I see Mercedes Benz's and $60,000 dollar+ SUVs pull up at garage/yard sales? I know people that can afford to buy their cds, etc., at the big name stores but I've known them to go to places like the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores, and the like, as well as going to the garage/yard sales.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Quote:
Why is there so many dollar stores in 'da hood'...?

Seems everytime I turn around, a new one is under construction...

Dollar store
Dollar General
Super dollar store
Discount dollar
Family dollar

It's basically saying 'you cheap, can't afford much, so we'll make it easy for ya by stuffing as many dollar stores in 'da hood' that we can, and you can discover how amazingly well Chinese products are made'...
Darned right I'm cheap! I'd much rather pay a cheaper price than a more expensive one.

Wait, that doesn't make me cheap...makes me smart!

I've not been to a Walmart in over 6 months thanks to my 4 dollar stores around town. Why go to Walmart when the dollar store has the same stuff?
And for housewares, I go to Macy's or JCPenney's. Many 'think' Walmart is cheaper when they are not. I've saved a TON of money since I've stopped shopping at Walmart and have begun visiting my local Dollar stores.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:41 PM

357 posts, read 1,019,300 times
I though just me that think that way, or may be the stuff i buy from Walmart not an average Walmart shopper would buy. Fresh vegetable, garden supply is more expensive at Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Darned right I'm cheap! I'd much rather pay a cheaper price than a more expensive one.

Wait, that doesn't make me cheap...makes me smart!

I've not been to a Walmart in over 6 months thanks to my 4 dollar stores around town. Why go to Walmart when the dollar store has the same stuff?
And for housewares, I go to Macy's or JCPenney's. Many 'think' Walmart is cheaper when they are not. I've saved a TON of money since I've stopped shopping at Walmart and have begun visiting my local Dollar stores.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
[quote]
Quote:
I'm not from 'da hood' though, I'm originally from rural farm town America...hard to believe huh...but yep, combines in the fields behind, and bi-plane crop dusters flying over head....
Are you ignorant? Really.

Who says, "da hood".

You sound like this guy I work with. Trying so hard to be "down". Hey, childfree you da bomb. I look and scratch my head.

They may welcome you, but welcome you as the village idiot.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:56 PM

[quote=Childfree35;15639709]
Quote:

Are you ignorant? Really.

Who says, "da hood".

You sound like this guy I work with. Trying so hard to be "down". Hey, childfree you da bomb. I look and scratch my head.

They may welcome you, but welcome you as the village idiot.
Why 'da hate'

(side note, careful how you throw that word around, we're just having fun here, don't need your negitave attitude to spoil it,
if you don't get it, than get lost, or I will show, through attrition, who the true idiot really is)

Last edited by Time and Space; 08-26-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Default dark cloud

It's like a bunch of people at a lounge party, just having a good time, laughing, talking, all on the same wave length...

Then there's always that one soul the enters the room, and brings a dark cloud with them...

Old 08-27-2010, 08:55 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
[quote=Time and Space;15642227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post

Why 'da hate'

(side note, careful how you throw that word around, we're just having fun here, don't need your negitave attitude to spoil it,
if you don't get it, than get lost, or I will show, through attrition, who the true idiot really is)
Yeah, I know buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products