Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:08 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Darned right I'm cheap! I'd much rather pay a cheaper price than a more expensive one.

Wait, that doesn't make me cheap...makes me smart!

I've not been to a Walmart in over 6 months thanks to my 4 dollar stores around town. Why go to Walmart when the dollar store has the same stuff?
And for housewares, I go to Macy's or JCPenney's. Many 'think' Walmart is cheaper when they are not. I've saved a TON of money since I've stopped shopping at Walmart and have begun visiting my local Dollar stores.
Same here. Now that WalMart's prices have gone up, unless you buy a whole package of the same thing, I'm finding I frequent dollar stores more and more. For the price, the quality is good. It is a quick in and out. Love them.

To the OP, now that dollar stores are carrying more groceries and take EBT, they are becoming more popular as a food source without having to deal with huge WalMart parking lots and lines. They are great for a quick stop. Also, since they are more likely to be able to utilize a smaller space, they fit well in the strip mall type areas. The rent is probably cheaper and they can pass that savings to the consumer. They also help keep strip malls from becoming dead zones.

And no, I don't live in 'da hood'. I live in a nice suburb of Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Same here. Now that WalMart's prices have gone up, unless you buy a whole package of the same thing, I'm finding I frequent dollar stores more and more. For the price, the quality is good. It is a quick in and out. Love them.

To the OP, now that dollar stores are carrying more groceries and take EBT, they are becoming more popular as a food source without having to deal with huge WalMart parking lots and lines. They are great for a quick stop. Also, since they are more likely to be able to utilize a smaller space, they fit well in the strip mall type areas. The rent is probably cheaper and they can pass that savings to the consumer. They also help keep strip malls from becoming dead zones.

And no, I don't live in 'da hood'. I live in a nice suburb of Orlando.
You all must be talking about some 'high end' dollar stores I just haven't seen yet...

The ones I rarily frequent, everything from shavers to tote bags, seems cheaply built, and or falls apart in days...

Except the most basic of items like dish soap, paper towls ect ect...

Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
Among the major dollar stores, there is a difference.

Dollar Tree - tends to open in shopping centers with Wal-Mart and or, Kmart, a grocery store, an off-price chain (Ross, TJMaxx) or is standalone. Most to all products are $1.

FamilyDollar and Dollar General on the other hand sell a wider range of products, including items like All laundry detergent. I suppose the average selling price of an item is $3.

Those two generally don't open in shopping centers with a large regional grocery store operator, but are open in relatively low rent shopping centers and sometimes near very low income areas.

Of the three, I've seen a number of FamilyDollar stores in areas near ghettos.

I have the feeling that many big box center operators that have a higher class of stores like Costco, Dick's, Staples, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, etc. would rather leave a 20-40,000 sq.ft. vacant site in the same center vacant (and wait until something better could be placed) than leasing it out to Dollar Tree.

And esp. not FamilyDollar or Dollar General. The latter two seem to avoid high rent centers anyways.

K-Mart sometimes feels more like FamilyDollar than Target or Wal-Mart.

Christmas Tree Shops and Five Below are like glorified dollar stores. These stores though manage to get into big box centers and seek out more prosperous areas though.

Last edited by avg12; 08-27-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
I just hope 'cheap' doesn't come to define the new America...

Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
With the economy at an all-time low, there are dollar stores popping up, not only in "da hood", but all over the place! People are suffering all over the country, in all income brackets and areas-suburbs and urban!
Wait until this recession deepens even more!

There'll be 49-cent, 79-cent stores competing with the dollar stores.

And then, those shopping at those stores, will occasionlly do a big splurge every month and shop at the luxurious dollar stores.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
The DollarTree stores here have a nice variety of merchandise. Brand name items are a major part of the inventory.

Why should I pay $17-18 for a well known hair product at Walmart when I can buy it for a dollar here?

I prefer to save my money for other things

Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
The DollarTree stores here have a nice variety of merchandise. Brand name items are a major part of the inventory.

Why should I pay $17-18 for a well known hair product at Walmart when I can buy it for a dollar here?

I prefer to save my money for other things
Right! That's how the Jags and the Bentleys get paid for

Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Right! That's how the Jags and the Bentleys get paid for

Really?

I've never seen a Jag or Bentley in the parking lot of Dollar Stores.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Really?

I've never seen a Jag or Bentley in the parking lot of Dollar Stores.
I've seen Jaguars because the next main street over are $200k + homes.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
How condescending can you be, calling someone's neighborhood "da hood". People live there because they can't afford to live somewhere else, or they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products