Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Some Dollar Generals have a grocery section now.

And on the thread topic, to me, it seems like there are just as many or more Dollar Generals/Family Dollars/Dollar Trees in rural areas as opposed to urban. Lots of places in the country are too small for Walmarts and ignored by the chain drugstores, so the "dollar" stores move in to fill the void. (Of coure, Dollar General and Family Dollar aren't real "dollar" stores. Most of their stuff costs more than a dollar, but I think that's been covered elsewhere in the thread.)
I may be starting to give into this 'dollar mania'...at least on certain select items, mainly name brand foods, marked down in price...

And heck, the quality of Walmart stuff isn't much better...I purchased several pairs of shorts at a walmart a while back, and as soon as i bent over, the tore...looked like someone rammed me from the rear...

Don't they know how to sew in China?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Those who have been rich all their lives, fanticized about what it's like to be poor, and those who have been poor all their lives, fanticize what's it's like to be rich...nough said...
I disagree. I've never wanted money or material possessions. I'm pretty content where I'm at.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 AM

19,709 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
I just wish they would start a dollar store for groceries...a dollar gorcerie type of store...that would be wonderful....

Do you have ALDI where you live?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Do you have ALDI where you live?
No, but I have seen those stores before...I just forget where...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Here in California, we have the Grocery Outlet which is pretty inexpensive.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Why is there so many dollar stores in 'da hood'...?

Seems everytime I turn around, a new one is under construction...

Dollar store
Dollar General
Super dollar store
Discount dollar
Family dollar

I mean on and on and on...

Why do they, the people who open these stores, underestimate the spending or buying power of people in 'da hood'??

I've never seen so many nice cars before...

People will rise up to whatever bar or expectations you have for them...
And by constantly granting building permits for these dollar stores, what sublime message does that send to people in 'da hood'?

It's basically saying 'you cheap, can't afford much, so we'll make it easy for ya by stuffing as many dollar stores in 'da hood' that we can, and you can discover how amazingly well Chinese products are made'...
I'm stuck trying to figure out why people "in da hood" can't put forth the effort to embrace high educational achievement at an early age, to get out of "da hood." Why be content to stay in "da hood"?

The dollar stores are there to serve people who most likely will live and die in "da hood." Multiple generations have shown this trend.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:59 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
We have some in our area and we range in backgrounds from working class to seniors to the very upscale. I don't shop in them personally but they are alot like the old Woolworth stores( which were a lot better). We also have discount grocery stores and upper scale grocery stores, Wal Marts and Targets and more upscale stores. People shop at places they feel offer a bargain or have what they want. Thats not hard to understand.
Same goes for restuarants, we have the fast food chains, private sub shops, to higher class eateries to fine dining establishments.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I'm stuck trying to figure out why people "in da hood" can't put forth the effort to embrace high educational achievement at an early age, to get out of "da hood." Why be content to stay in "da hood"?

The dollar stores are there to serve people who most likely will live and die in "da hood." Multiple generations have shown this trend.
Many or some of them do...but when they move to a more 'affluent neighborhood'...people are bothered and move out...

Ever heard of the 'such and such flight' term??

A few do try to move up and out...but then again, some are content...

Yes content...they have family, friends, a job...and or even church...so they see nothing wrong with where they're at...

Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
We have some in our area and we range in backgrounds from working class to seniors to the very upscale. I don't shop in them personally but they are alot like the old Woolworth stores( which were a lot better). We also have discount grocery stores and upper scale grocery stores, Wal Marts and Targets and more upscale stores. People shop at places they feel offer a bargain or have what they want. Thats not hard to understand.
Same goes for restuarants, we have the fast food chains, private sub shops, to higher class eateries to fine dining establishments.
Believe it or not, as hard times have hit me, I've frequented a few dollor stores myself...I find them much easier to navigate than gigantic Wal-Marts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products