Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,711 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just signed up to use paypal and it appears they want to know my bank account number or checking account number for verification. It seems like I can't make any purchases until I give them this information. Since I don't want them linked to any of my accounts, I was going to open up a $5 savings account which would not be linked to my other accounts. Now suppose I purchase something through paypal and that purchase is $100.00. I want to use the credit card to pay for it, but do I have to keep $100.00 in that bank account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
No.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
I've never verified with additional information. I have my credit card number and that's it. I don't want to provide any more than that.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
OP,

Be aware that you may get "spoof" e-mails from a fake Pay Pal site. Do not for any reason respond or provide them information. They may ask to you to "update" your information. I almost fell for this when I first joined PP and got a weird feeling. Thankfully, my suspicions were confirmed and after forwarding the fake e-mail to PayPal when it was indeed confirmed it was a spoof.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
You can't pay through PayPal with a credit card. You either pay the seller with PayPal, or you pay with a credit card.

If you want a PayPal account, you need to have money transferred from your bank account into your PayPal account. Even more importantly, the only way you can get money out of your PayPal account is to have it transferred back into your bank account. Paypal needs to know your routing and account numbers, in order to effect these transactions between PayPal and your bank.

You can't pay anything with PayPal until you have the funds in your PayPal account, and the only way to get the funds in there is to have it transferred from your bank. Until you do that, you can keep on paying with your credit card, but PayPal will not be involved in any way in that transaction.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
I have a visa listed through PayPal to charge all of my PayPal purchases. I've never (nor will I ever) give PayPal my bank account information. When I make a purchase and use PayPal to pay for it, it will show up as "PayPal" in the purchases section of my credit card statement.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times
You can buy an ebay gift card at Walmart or grocery store to use, I think maybe Paypal has these also.

Check with your bank about using a savings acct for purchases I did this and after maybe 3 purchases the bank charged me $ for doing this, I think they do not like savings acct #'s to be handled by 3rd parties.

I sell on and off and it was better for me to use my ck-ing and be a verifed seller or buyer. That way I could transfer funds to my checking.

Whats good is if you can sell a few things and build up your paypal account you'll have the funds to pay for things you want.

At times I have used a credit card also for some purchases, I've never had any trouble with paypal since it started.

Hope this helps, make sure you check with your bank re: savings acct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products