U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,841,990 times

Advertisements

I am looking into becoming a seller and I just want to know the basics. I went onto the eBay site and there is just subcategory after subcategory of information. It’s overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 PM

40,003 posts, read 57,846,926 times
Basics? here you go:
Become an Ebay PowerSeller | Adventures Of A Stay At Home Dad
How to Become a Successful eBay Seller - wikiHow
PowerSeller : Becoming An Ebay Seller (http://www.howtobecome.info/articles/Becoming-An-Ebay-Seller/3030/446.html - broken link)

Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,056,911 times
I used to sell on Ebay but rarely do any longer due to the economy. It's pretty easy once you get started. Main thing imho is research how much items you are considering selling are going for and figure out if the price you buy them for minus fees from ebay and paypal, packing materials all added together still provide a profit for your time.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM

914 posts, read 4,012,106 times
My fiance and I used to sell on eBay, and I would agree, it is fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

We stopped, though, because eBay kept raising their fees. After a while we were loosing money on occasional items.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,149,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
My fiance and I used to sell on eBay, and I would agree, it is fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

We stopped, though, because eBay kept raising their fees. After a while we were loosing money on occasional items.
Same here, eBay was taking too much money so I stopped...

Old 12-03-2010, 02:00 PM

11,853 posts, read 13,984,286 times
Eh. I still sell on Ebay. People make way to much out of "Ebay raised the prices". Come on now.

It costs 50 cents to list something with a reserve price of $20.00.
Then they get 12% of the final proce... so $1.30.
So for less then $2.00 you made $18.00 on something you were just going to throw out anyway. Pfft. Easy money.

LOL.
It really depends. If you are going to try buying stuff and reselling it on Ebay, then it can be hard to make money. If you are selling stuff in your house you want to get rid of. No brainer. Do it.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 PM

3,683 posts, read 6,131,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Eh. I still sell on Ebay. People make way to much out of "Ebay raised the prices". Come on now.

It costs 50 cents to list something with a reserve price of $20.00.
Then they get 12% of the final proce... so $1.30.
So for less then $2.00 you made $18.00 on something you were just going to throw out anyway. Pfft. Easy money.

LOL.
It really depends. If you are going to try buying stuff and reselling it on Ebay, then it can be hard to make money. If you are selling stuff in your house you want to get rid of. No brainer. Do it.
...and paypal fees.

I still sell, but it's getting much more difficult.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 AM

15,524 posts, read 31,844,323 times
I have been selling off and on for about 10 years now. Sales are a tiny fraction of what they used to be for me, and fees are several times higher.

As someone else mentioned, if you just want to get rid of stuff, it's a good place to do it. If you are going to buy items to re-sell, you can find yourself in the hole, or at best working just to break even.

I am looking into an alternative site for myself, I buy and sell vintage and used clothing; this category is a LOT of work and right now ebay isn't paying off that well.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:05 PM

40 posts, read 79,908 times
I would also say that if you're getting into the eBay selling game, now would be a very challenging time unless you had wholesale access to either 1) a really hot item or 2) items with wide margins.

eBay's increased listing fees and the heavy competition, especially now at the holidays would make it an uphill battle. I do continue to hear more positive things about selling on Amazon and Craigslist these days.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:52 PM

725 posts, read 1,861,179 times
I was about to make a post about selling on eBay. I found these comments helpful, as I'm not looking to pay a lot of fees.
I've bought on eBay only once, and now I want to sell 2 pairs of new jeans. Does anyone have any tips/advice you would give for selling jeans on eBay? Or should I just sell on Amazon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products