U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 PM

15,593 posts, read 32,051,224 times

Advertisements

It just never ceases to amaze me the innocuous things that bother some people. There are actually people who resent friendly greetings in business establishments? Today I walked into my bank, and several employees all smiled and went "Hi, welcome to Suntrust!" and I just waved real big and smiled and said "HI EVERYBODY!!"

Try it some time. It just might make you feel happier about yourself. You know, as opposed to feeling bothered and put out all the time about nothing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,775,135 times
I like the greeters in general. Nothing annoys me more when you walk into a place and they don't even acknowledge you are there. Even if they are busy, a simple, "I will be with you in a moment sir" is refreshing. I walked into a Leslies pool supply store, and the sales person didn't even acknowledge me or say "I will be with you in a second" I was going to buy a pool vac. I went back a week later because there was a sales rep I liked working with in the past. The person who ignored me was also there. I loved looking at his face while I bought a $400 pool vac and the commission he missed out on by offering poor service.

Yes, I know greeters can be a little creepy and the 80 year olds who stand in front of Walmart is disturbing as their baseline dementia barely allows them to stand as they stare off into some window being alert and oriented to person only. The Walmart greeter is a joke. If you ask them questions, they don't have answers and will point you to a cashier. I guess it's Walmarts way of giving back and allowing an old lady to earn a little change instead of sitting at home and watching The Price is Right.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,541,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It just never ceases to amaze me the innocuous things that bother some people. There are actually people who resent friendly greetings in business establishments? Today I walked into my bank, and several employees all smiled and went "Hi, welcome to Suntrust!" and I just waved real big and smiled and said "HI EVERYBODY!!"

Try it some time. It just might make you feel happier about yourself. You know, as opposed to feeling bothered and put out all the time about nothing.
Have you ever walked into a Cici's Pizza? It's bizarre when they all shout in unison "HI!! Welcome to CiCi's!!!"

It's not that friendly greetings bother me. Insincerity and condescention bother me. Sometimes I just feel sorry for the person, not annoyed. Like the receptionist who answers the phone in a tone that sounds like she may go blow her brains out, but says "It's a great day at (company name). I'm so glad you called. How may I assist you?"

I'm annoyed by blatantly contrived, artificial, friendly greetings.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 PM

2,792 posts, read 5,426,439 times
Quote:
The only place I've seen it done is Walmart and I've always assumed it was because Walmart is considered to be the sort of store that would attract low life shoplifters along with the normal people.

Please tell me what normal is these days

Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 PM

143 posts, read 215,565 times
It creates employment.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM

11,233 posts, read 13,238,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
It creates employment.
But it has to create sales, too.

If all a store wanted to do was just create employment, it could keep people at home and simply send them a check.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 PM

8,275 posts, read 18,794,028 times

I totally agree. These are not high-waged people & probably need the jobs that they have. How is it hurting anyone if they say "hello" to you? I just don't understand it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,578,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Never been to Waffle House, huh?
LOL! +1

Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,262,731 times
Go to the stores where these greeters bother you or you think they are useless.
Spend some time watching them for more than the 5 seconds you deal with them.
Watch how many times that greeter is pointing them to a specific area of the store.
Watch how many times someone enters and acknowldge that greeter with a smile on their face.
Watch how many times that greeter does other things such as calling for more carts.
Watch how many times that greeter stops a lost/seperated child from leaving the store alone.
If you find the greeter annoying, shop at a store without one.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,991,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

I find it genuinely annoying, too. Good customer service bothers me, I guess. When I worked at Arby's in the late 90s for five years, we never did anything like that. You couldn't even get us to smile. Now you walk into that place and it's as sugary as a Belinda Carlisle love song. Now Taco Bell asks for your name when you place your order. "Here you go, us66, have a nice day." The personalization bothers me.

It bugs me to see people making $8 an hour having to fake happiness and pleasure in serving me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products