U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Itz Itz started this thread

714 posts, read 1,951,715 times

Advertisements

Ok.. just a rant.. When I go buy supplies i have noticed a dwindling of my favorite brands and the shelves are packed full of 1 particular brand.. And I'm irritated.

I buy Cheer - Free - for the HE machine.. I search for this EVERY time i go shopping and end up buying 2-3 bottles of it at a time because I know its hard to find. The shelves are stocked furll of Tide... but not a lot of the Tide for HE.

Toilit paper is another thing... REALLY do you need to stock almost an entire row full of Charmin? (very nice stuff but it clogs my toilet to much - even when being careful)

I know that the stores only get what HQ sends em and its a price war on that end as well, but I hate this feeling of being shoved down a hole with all the other generics.

rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:42 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,464,960 times
So I take it you are feeling manipulated. By The Powers That Be?

Who will sell you what they manufacture whether you want it or not, at a price that you consider above the value of the product?

And you will rail against their manipulation, feeling powerless yet angry that you are nothing more than "consumer" (not an individual) who is being ripped off for the profit of the companies who shove these unsatisfactory products on you, the public.

You feel powerless to reject their crappy products at inflated prices.

So what do you intend to do about it other than post complaints on the internet?

Find other products? Boycott manufacturers who are ripping you off? Whine in public?

Try this: stop buying Cheer. Wash with something else. Reduce their profits and send them a letter telling them why you are rejecting their product.

Don't buy Charmin. Don't buy Cheer. Be done with them, stop giving them your money. You have control of your money and your purchasing habits. Dump 'em. Buy something else.

I believe this is the very basic idea of capitalistic supply and demand?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Itz Itz started this thread

714 posts, read 1,951,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
So I take it you are feeling manipulated. By The Powers That Be?

Who will sell you what they manufacture whether you want it or not, at a price that you consider above the value of the product?

And you will rail against their manipulation, feeling powerless yet angry that you are nothing more than "consumer" (not an individual) who is being ripped off for the profit of the companies who shove these unsatisfactory products on you, the public.

You feel powerless to reject their crappy products at inflated prices.

So what do you intend to do about it other than post complaints on the internet?

Find other products? Boycott manufacturers who are ripping you off? Whine in public?

Try this: stop buying Cheer. Wash with something else. Reduce their profits and send them a letter telling them why you are rejecting their product.

Don't buy Charmin. Don't buy Cheer. Be done with them, stop giving them your money. You have control of your money and your purchasing habits. Dump 'em. Buy something else.

I believe this is the very basic idea of capitalistic supply and demand?
I don't buy Charmin.. I dislike that.. I buy an off brand.. The only things TO buy are Charmin and Tide... Serious.. unless I want to go with the no name dirt cheap, omg, crap..

Just ranting... i've written letters to the stores and the manufacturers of my favorite brands..

If I don't my buy my favorite brands then that decreases their profits and the likelyhood of me having to use a brand i dont like increases.. Its a loose loose situation in that instance. But i heard that I can buy this stuff online.. .. BONUS

Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,940,297 times
That is why I buy most of my groceries (non-perishable) from Amazon.com. I run into issues with my favorite brands only being available regionally and this solves it. I find that it all depends on the store too...because they all seem to carry different things. But, I never have any issues with Amazon. Plus, it is usually cheaper and the shipping is free.

But, I can relate. When I got the e-mail that Amazon was now carrying groceries, and I did searches for all my favorite things, I was definitely thrilled!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 PM

14,419 posts, read 24,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Ok.. just a rant.. When I go buy supplies i have noticed a dwindling of my favorite brands and the shelves are packed full of 1 particular brand.. And I'm irritated.

I buy Cheer - Free - for the HE machine.. I search for this EVERY time i go shopping and end up buying 2-3 bottles of it at a time because I know its hard to find. The shelves are stocked furll of Tide... but not a lot of the Tide for HE.
Believe it or not, there are brands of laundry detergents that are not made by Proctor & Gamble. Personally, there are dozens of brands out there, most of which are a fraction of the cost of Tide/Cheer.

Personally, I buy the Purex when it is on-sale at Walgreens, bleach at Aldi, and LA's Totally Awesome laundry pre-spray at Dollar Tree

Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 AM

15,893 posts, read 15,534,869 times
I buy a lot of the things that have been mentioned on amazon.com. Free shipping if you are a "Prime" member. Plus, the selection of brands is good.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
Shelf space in grocery stores is a highly competitive and profitable for the grocery store. Not only do they sell products to us, they sell shelf dominance to suppliers.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,940,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I buy a lot of the things that have been mentioned on amazon.com. Free shipping if you are a "Prime" member. Plus, the selection of brands is good.
Right now they have a free monthly trial so that you can get free two day shipping and can watch instant video! Depending on how much you order and how much you watch videos, it may be worth the yearly fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products