U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM

11,714 posts, read 20,951,775 times

Advertisements

I used to just buy sheets by color/design - always liked them! They wore well, were of good quality, didn't get "pills", washed well, etc. Now for some reason there are all these "designer term" that basically mean lower quality: they either are scratch, pill, feel hot, don't have enough elastic to stay on the mattress, etc. - I am OVER the touting of thread count which is meaningless - bring back regular old sheets (Percale maybe?) - that don't turn into lumps of wrinkles, make you sweat, etc.

I realize mattresses have changed - they are all over the board now (that's another gripe, mattresses that can't be flipped but that'll have to be another complaint - Now I TRY to get sheets I can sleep on/in - this is a newer mattress (not a pillow top) - that's 12". That's deeper than the old time sheets - but now you have to read every package, some are made for 18" deep, sateen (which is hot to me) - what happened to regular old sheets that you didn't need to study for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,525,552 times
AGREED!!
Yeah, I think I had a thread on this already earlier. I agree, I believe (personally) it is that the textile industry is no longer american based. BUT, I did get some halfway decent sheets through overstock.com because of a recommendation online here.
I looked at an old sheet set I had that I really liked (Martex brand). It is cotton percale 50 cotton 50 polyester. No iron, wrinkle free. That is maybe what you want to look for. Although the term "percale" does not seem to be used much.
I agree thread count doesn't mean jack squat. And the trend is now for 100% cotton, which does not last very long at all before getting ripe and tearing (at least for us).

Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 PM

5,038 posts, read 14,739,820 times
Here's the thread you started last month. I too think thread count is overrated. I want only 50% cotton in my sheets so they don't come out of the dryer in a ball. I have better things to to with my life than iron sheets & pillowcases.

Oh and blankets. Will someone please tell the manufacturers that with thicker mattresses, we need LONGER blankets? Can't tuck those in at the bottom of the bed when I make my bed.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,471,862 times
Shop better store and look at the cotton type;not that its just cotton. Cheap sheets are just that mostly.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM

976 posts, read 1,492,556 times
Welcome to the days of everything being made in Bangladesh or China.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 PM

25 posts, read 108,731 times
Default J C Penny

J C Penny...WrinkleGuard 400 thread count, 100% cotton sateen! love,love love these sheets! I live in toronto Canada and have them shipped here. Watch for a sale to get a good price.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,525,552 times
Thanks for the review!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM

249 posts, read 743,502 times
I tried a set of Nate Berkus sheets from HSN years ago and since then they are the only sheets I buy. They are 500 thread count, and they're not cheap but they last forever. I have 6 pairs that I rotate year round and I wash & dry normally and they still look and feel brand new. I could probably get away with a few less sets but I like the colors and keep buying more.
The others sets that I had prior that had pulls and that I had to tugg and stretch over my pillow top mattress - donated to good will and I was happy to see them go!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:04 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,711,261 times
I HATE the "all around" elastic on the bottom sheets....I loved it when only the corners had elastic...made folding the fitted sheet SO much easier!

Yes...I loved the "mixed" sheets....no ironing needed! My rather expensive sheets feel good, but boy, do they wrinkle...no matter how I dry them. Just can't put wrinkled sheets on the bed!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 PM

8,274 posts, read 18,789,031 times
I would recommend Shabby Chic sheets from Target. They are so soft and comfy and there are many pretty designs to choose from.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products