U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 AM

652 posts, read 645,795 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread. If not, mods, I'm sorry.

But I'm trying to find some new clothes, and I guess I'm trying to find a new store. I always used to really like Old Navy as my go to store. Not too expensive, fairly well made and cute. But recently it seems like their quality has gone down, their prices have gone up, their sizing has gone CRAZY and everything is sheer. (While I don't particularly like wearing a couple of layers at once, I really dislike having to pay $35 for a shirt that I can't wear without another shirt underneath).

So what are some good alternative stores? (alternative to Old Navy, not alternative as a culture) Since I'm getting a bit older, I'm wiling to invest a bit more in clothing for well made pieces, but I may have to make baby steps.

Any past Old Navy fans moved onto something else? Anyone want to make a case for your favorite store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 11:28 AM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
he same type'quality bought there can be bought at wal-mart and other disconut stores just without teh old navy name o them really.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
he same type'quality bought there can be bought at wal-mart and other disconut stores just without teh old navy name o them really.
I agree, which is why I'm trying to get away from Old Navy. Between Walmart getting better and Old Navy getting worse, they kinda met in the middle.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:07 PM

5,603 posts, read 9,525,629 times
Unfortunately, I see the quality has gone down in every store - you can find obviously cheaply made clothing everywhere from: Marshall's, etc. to higher end dept. stores. I really wish I had held onto some of my older clothes that looked new years after purchase (as opposed to junk that looks old and cheap after washing the first time or just wearing a few times).

I honestly don't like anything that I've seen in stores especially lately. Maybe try to rethink how you wear the pieces you have? Add jewelry or another layer, scarf, etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,183,434 times
Kohl's has alot of different styles and low prices. They also have a TON of clearance towards the end of each season. The only stuff at Kohl's that I've noticed is a little overpriced is some of their sportswear. You can pick up khakis and cotton shirts really cheap.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM

2,585 posts, read 7,019,471 times
Belk regularly has great sales....
I'm a bit older, too, and cannot wear Old Navy stuff....the material just is to thin and "cheap" and clings to any and all "fat pads" that my body possesses! A thicker tee shirt material is fine, and doesn't show lumps and bumps!
If you have a Marshalls, Ross or TJ Maxx, give that a try! You do have to really search the racks, but sometimes can find some really nice things at really good prices!
Good luck!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 PM

7,860 posts, read 12,618,483 times
Believe it or not, many people here in California shop at the Good Will or Salvation Army stores. There really is not the stigma against them that there is in New York and they are immaculate . People brag that they found a designer sweater for less than $3.00.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Believe it or not, many people here in California shop at the Good Will or Salvation Army stores. There really is not the stigma against them that there is in New York and they are immaculate . People brag that they found a designer sweater for less than $3.00.
I believe it! I just don't have very good access to those stores, or at least not good versions of them. There is a good will near me, but it is a bit inconvenient, and the couple of times I've been it is just a trash dump.

But having said that, I have donated plenty of brand new (impulse buys that I never wore and then didn't fit any more) clothing items to that particular store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products