U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM

257 posts, read 202,212 times
Default eBay vs. Craigslist vs. Flea Market/Garage Sale: What is better?

I've always wondered if the convience of eBay beats browsing garage sales with potential better prices for larger, heavier items. For instance, small furniture can be better with flea markets than eBay due to heavy shipping costs. On the other hand, small, fairly common items like coins/cards/stamps cab be better at eBay due to more competition. Sometimes however, eBayers Buy It Now in terms of getting a good deal, sometimes making you wonder if better deals are found on Craigslist, which have a free section but often communication isn't as good as eBay and isn't as search user-friendly. What is the best for certain categories, and overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 AM

10,426 posts, read 8,444,336 times
It depends on several things. Garage sales are probably cheaper, but, if you're looking for certain items, do you have enough time to check out every garage sale for months or even years until you find that item? Same for craigslist...I know a lot of people love it but I've never used it because of all the problems about which I've read.

I've been buying on eBay for 11+ years and love, love, love it. There's nothing like shopping in your pajamas at 3:00 AM. And you can find anything there...if not today, then tomorrow. You do have to be careful about prices; occasionally you can find the same merchandise cheaper on places like amazon, but eBay usually has the best prices (and selection) anywhere. And, if you're careful about checking the seller's feedback (I never do business with anyone who had less than 99% positive rating), you dont have to worry about getting burned.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:33 PM

4,290 posts, read 8,275,821 times
Our local NBC affiliate has a very well organized and easy to search classifieds section on their website. It's quite common around here to find someone who has sold/purchased from their website (myself included). I like buying local....no shipping and easy to go inspect the item before purchase.

I find Craig's list messy and hard to navigate.

Ebay is better but usually not a local purchase. I've had positive results with Ebay. But I only purchased small items.

I'm not a "go to garage sales" kind of person. A large flea market would be more to my liking.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 PM

16,264 posts, read 29,836,920 times
I like eBay for collectibles and sterling jewelry. I also buy new clothes/shoes in brands where I know what size I take. Usually 1/4 to 1/3 of the retail price and items have their original tags on them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM

7,342 posts, read 3,861,765 times
I've had good luck with Craigs List, both for buying and for selling and also picking up some free stuff.

Garage sales can be fun going through you neighborhood on a Saturday, looking at other peoples junk , and you can really score some good deals.

I wouldn't recommend this type of selling however, I tried it once, ran an ad in the paper, Garage sale 9-3. I had this old man show up at 7:30 in morning wanting a cookie jar, waking us up, so my wife lets him in and he's in our kitchen over our cookie jar that had cookies in it. (I wont give you 3 dollars how about 2.25)

I kicked him out. My day went downhill from there

I've bought things on EBay, but I don't believe I've ever won an auction, but I've only tried once or twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products