Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
My old boss said it best to one of my coworkers. Having a bad day does not give you license to be a b*tch. If you can't check your problems at the door, then don't enter.
The problem is that bosses refuse to acknowledge that their employees are HUMAN BEINGS.

I believe it's impossible for us to just mentally/emotionally cut ourselves in half the minute we punch the time clock. Being human just DOESNT work that way.

But if you insist on people shutting off their humanity when they go to work. Then that should include the customers who go into businesses and dump all over the powerless employees as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 05:46 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Leaving your grocery basket on the floor isn't illegal, nor necessarily unsanitary. You should see all the food stuff, especially the vegetable boxes on the floor in the back storage room of the stores. The trucks that deliver vegetables are not always the cleanest either. This is why it is recomended to wash your vegies before your prepare them for eating.
The dirtiest part of the shopping experience in the grocery store is the kiddie seat on the cart and the handle of those carts.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It makes sense to me but I've never seen the baskets placed anywhere but the floor. I always use grocery carts so I never even bother with the baskets on the floor but maybe the stores in my area need to invest in getting the baskets off the floors for sanitary purposes.
This is a job for

Click image for larger version

Name:	larry.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	80634

Old 06-04-2011, 08:53 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Charles is probably right. After all, chances are that someone else already bit the clerk right back.

But I know what I would do if the clerk caught me in the wrong mood: I would get the clerk's attention and ask her matter-of-factly to explain WHY she spoke to me in that tone of voice. And if she went "Huh?" I would repeat the question a little louder until she explained herself.

I did this to a New City busdriver once and he didn't know what to say. Making them accountable produces an awkward moment for them.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Be extremely polite in response. The best response to rudeness is to be extremely polite because it often makes the person realize how rude they just were while keeping things smooth and not blowing it up into a major issue.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP11 View Post
Do you people live in a different country? I cannot believe there are some here who think that grocery baskets in America are placed on some sort of carefully sanitized pedestal surrounded by rose petals.

Have you been grocery shopping any time or do you send your maids out to do it for you? Do you not observe that supermarket baskets spend most of their time on the floor? Have you not seen that most customers who use baskets put them, ya know, ON THE FLOOR as they shop? And grocery stores routinely stack baskets .... guess where?? That's right...on the FLOOR.

This is some serious case of reality disconnect here.

Wow. Okay maybe you guys are visually impaired. In which case, disregard what I said and just watch out for the baskets on the floor and don't trip on them.
Actually yes, both posters you quoted are visually impaired.

Though I don't see how that disconnects one from reality. I was aware of the baskets being stacked on the floor even when I was totally blind cause my cane found them. I think it's just a matter of different stores stacking their baskets in different ways.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Be extremely polite in response. The best response to rudeness is to be extremely polite because it often makes the person realize how rude they just were while keeping things smooth and not blowing it up into a major issue.
I agree and said pretty much the same thing in my response. Just apologize without groveling while making direct eye contact. This changes the tone of the confrontation and the clerk will likely get the message that he/she was unnecessarily rude.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I agree and said pretty much the same thing in my response. Just apologize without groveling while making direct eye contact. This changes the tone of the confrontation and the clerk will likely get the message that he/she was unnecessarily rude.

I do the same thing when someone is being obnoxious. My words become even smoother and more delicate...works every time too.

In linguistics, they have a term for this: schismogenesis.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

I do the same thing when someone is being obnoxious. My words become even smoother and more delicate...works every time too.

In linguistics, they have a term for this: schismogenesis.

I learned a new word today. Can't help but wonder is this is where the word "schmoozing" comes from.

This is also known as "taking the high road".

Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,017 times
Always kill with kindness. That's what my Grandfather taught me....What are they going to say back? that damn person was so nice? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products