U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 PM

35 posts, read 126,683 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure if this was the right place for this thread but here it is. I've been selling on eBay for about 8 yrs now. My dissatisfaction with them has reached its limit. I have my reasons for leaving and just want to move on to another online auction site but am not sure which one to choose. Has anyone out there had any experience with the other sites? I've looked at OnlineAuction.com but don't know what to make of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:13 AM

35 posts, read 126,683 times
I'm not trolling here, I really need some help with this one. If anyone out there has some suggestions I'd really appreciate your imput. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,050,015 times
I think the internet goes through so many trends until it is hard to guess what is still good and what will eventually phase out due to people just getting tired of it. It's a fickle world.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-15-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 AM

18,537 posts, read 55,453,855 times
I've noted that some sellers with multiple items of the same product go towards Amazon, art sellers gravitate to Etsy, and I've noted a resurgence of "flea market" type brick and mortar stores. The problem has always been that eBay has the most eyes looking.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 PM

426 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Default Ebay

I sold on Amazon for six years and got off last year. It is not any better there. After expenses, taxes and losses it is not worth it. Seller has no rights.Customer is always right , no matter what.
As far as craigslist, if you want to give your item away then that is ok. Most of the people that buy stuff on craigslist are resellers that are looking for the stuff cheap, so they can resell it on EBay and Amazon.
I am now stuck with a house full of stufff that I could not sell on Amazon. I am now selling it at the fleamarket, and am so sick of carting the stuff around and getting nothing. I am losing money right now.
You have to know what sells, and unfortunately I am selling stuff no one wants anymore. When I first started it was ok, but now prices are down and there is way to much competition.
The situation with the economy does'nt make it any easier.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:12 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
I've stuck around eBay because I couldn't find a suitable alternative. A lot of people like Amazon as an alternative. It hasn't panned out for me, but it might for you.

I think those who say Craigslist are the ones who sell very few items. I couldn't imagine my current numbers (200 items/week) on Craigslist.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 AM

20,531 posts, read 20,516,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed982 View Post
Wasn't sure if this was the right place for this thread but here it is. I've been selling on eBay for about 8 yrs now. My dissatisfaction with them has reached its limit. I have my reasons for leaving and just want to move on to another online auction site but am not sure which one to choose. Has anyone out there had any experience with the other sites? I've looked at OnlineAuction.com but don't know what to make of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You're asking the same question dissatisfied eBayers have been asking for years.
Even at times when many many sellers were leaving at around the same time ( or wanted to) and when a mass migration to ONE other place would have made a difference and provided real competition...it never happened.
It was like trying to herd cats.
The result years later is that there is still no single other place where the traffic is as good.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:40 AM

1,428 posts, read 2,126,424 times
As an infrequent seller, the fees are a pain.

As a buyer, I hate a trend I see in the clothing section. If I look for something, I often see stuff which I know is available at discount and outlet stores (TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, Saks Off 5th). However, the prices are re-inflated to somewhere short of retail. For example, a air of Lucky Brand style 181 jeans can be had at TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack for $29.99. On ebay, they's $60. At full retail, they were $79.50. Why buy on ebay then? As an outlet store junkie, I know the good stuff they carry (jewels vs made for outlet garbage) and despise seeing it resold on ebay and wasting space, essentially.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 AM

758 posts, read 1,404,959 times
There has been a decent amount of sellers and buyers leaving ebay. These seem to be the favorite sites to head to:
Auctions: eBid, webstore
Store/fixed price: eCrater, Bonanza (and eBid)

Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,688,746 times
Trouble is--ebay is the biggest with the largest audience==best chance of selling. I'm not one bit fond of their rules or how they work only for the buyers either but as far as what is out there from my experience ebay is still the best. In my opinion. And no, I will not retire selling on ebay nor will I become rich, and they do keep raising the fees but it still helps to compensate for the little bit of SS us older folks are trying to survive on.
It beats a sharp stick in the eye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products