U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,605,289 times

Advertisements

I just started like to here some feed back from others that do. The good and the bad and any advise you can give me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:24 AM

20,531 posts, read 20,516,247 times
Go to the eBay discussions boards and read the general Seller's boards and the clothing boards (and any others that may apply)
Tons of information to be found there from other sellers.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:03 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,605,289 times
thanks i did an it was toxic off subject conversations for the most part. or people being rude telling you everything they know or do is a secret and they dont want to share any info. so i gave up and decided to post it on here

Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 AM

56 posts, read 115,028 times
One thing that I wish to suggest here is that all pre-owned/used/worn items sold on eBay must be cleaned before sale. Be sure that any item that is not new has been washed before you send the item to your happy buyer.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 AM

20,679 posts, read 19,629,788 times
The reason that you won't get that much help from the ebay discussion boards is that those people have worked really hard to learn the trade and also ebay has become really competitive so selling is not an easy thing.
Some suggestions: check completed items. Pick a price range, a style, and check out what it sells for and make a list from that. Only certain brands sell--ebay is weird that way.
Make sure anything you do sell is in excellent condition.
Go to the USPS site and learn about shipping as it is complicated and you can lose money on it. Also get a little postal scale so you can weigh your items. Some light things can go first class, other things have to go priority mail.
Equip yourself with brown paper envelopes for first class and pick up some free priority envelopes from the post office for heavier items.
Package your items in clear plastic bags to keep them dry before inserting them into the mailing envelopes.
Take clear photographs.
Include measurements.
Find your own sources for inventory--no one is going to tell you their sources. Make sure you can get inventory and that this inventory sells consistently--be very picky or you will end up with mountains of unsold merchandise and that's a waste of your money.
Start off with auctions--there has been a recent change and now you can list auctions for FREE if you do not have an ebay store and you keep it to under 50/month. Ebay still takes their portion of your selling cost PLUS your shipping cost. Keep shipping as low as possible.
There is a LOT more to it and you can find general information on the boards but do not ask what the popular brands are or where people get their stuff--people do get annoyed by that.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:10 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,033,199 times
I use to sell really fat peoples clothes that I would buy from consigment stores. It seems a lot really overweight people are embaressed to shop in stores so they buy online. I did pretty well but I had a dispute with paypal and stopped using ebay because of it.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,052,604 times
Go over clothing with a fine tooth comb so to speak and make sure you note any flaws, make sure there are no odors such as smoke or pet, make sure there are no pet fur on the clothing.

I'd check out some sellers who mainly sell clothing and see what they get for complaints in the feedback department to get an idea of what not to do.

Pretty wrapping like a sheet of tissue paper and a thank you note which can be printed out is always a nice touch if you can provide that.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 PM

19,864 posts, read 57,080,389 times
I sold my brand-name larger sizes after I lost 100+ lbs. Most went quickly. I had photos of the item, the label, and the close-up of the fabric. I had one customer argue about the clearly stated shipping price, she wanted me to go find one big box somewhere instead of the postal sizes. I had to file a nonpaying bidder complaint and she finally paid. I was not aware of a new fee, something based on the shipping price, that amounted to $118 for about $350 of stuff. It's not very obvious in the "rules."

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 AM

85 posts, read 133,313 times
I do sell sometimes. But my stuff is good (big brands), so it sells fast. I sell it cheap though. Summer is slow, so don't expect to sell a lot now. Before holidays, you can sell more.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,609,178 times
I've sold a ton of clothes on Ebay in the past, mostly from my own personal collection.

I always ship Priority Mail, using their envelopes, bags, or boxes, depending on the size of the item. You can order the supplies from USPS.com and they will bring the boxes to your house.

I find that bigger sizes go well, as mentioned above. Of all the brands of things I have sold, I find that Polo Ralph Lauren does very well. I used to do very well with Abercrombie too, but that seems to have dried up a bit.

I have had good luck with shoes.. Jordans and Chuck Taylors have went very well for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products