U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,741,787 times

Advertisements

I went shopping for a mattress today. I had read Consumer Reports, and didn't find it very helpful. I didn't know what I wanted, except that I did not want Temperpedic (too slow to recover and too hot).

So I ruled out firm pretty quickly, which left me with plush or pillow top. Coils, foam, latex, visco (sp?), etc....I started to get overwhelmed. I couldn't tell the difference between them after awhile.

Then I tried a Beautyrest NXG which is Simmon's version of memory foam. While I can't stand Temperpedic and did not want a memory foam mattress, I loved this NXG model.

But I cannot find reviews anywhere. Lots of web hits, but none with a good sample of reviews. And I guess each store has their own naming convention for mattresses which makes comparison shopping difficult.

Any tips from those of you who have recently gone through the mattress-buying process? And important do's or don'ts? Mattress Firm will give a 30 day (I think, maybe longer) guarantee. They say if i don't like it I can switch it out or, worst case, get a refund. I am not feeling very trusting for some reason. Then the guy at Mattress Factory told me that Mattress Firm resells returned mattresses, passing them off as new.

Anyway, any tips are appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM

40,306 posts, read 58,406,407 times
I don't own this type of mattress, but you can read other people opinions here:
Simmons Beautyrest Mattress Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com
Simmons Beautyrest NxG
Simmons Beautyrest Nxg Review - See 3000+ Mattress Ratings
Simmons BeautyRest NxG Series - Mattress Reviews - Best Bed Guide
Simmons Beautyrest NXG 400 Plush Pillowtop, Black Josephine Reviews (http://www.mattress-wiz.com/simmons-beautyrest-nxg-400-plush-pillowtop-black-josephine-reviews.html - broken link)
NxG BeautyRest: arm went numb on side; badfor stomach sleeper - Simmons Beautyrest Next Generation 100 Firm Mattress - Viewpoints
Hope it helps!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...ive-bed-6.html

Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 PM

40,306 posts, read 58,406,407 times
A good place to buy mattress is Costco: not only they have pretty good quality mattresses, but any exchange/refund is a breeze

Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 AM

1,917 posts, read 6,522,134 times
Any one here have a sleep number bed? I'm always curious about those. I almost ordered one the other day but thankfully decided to think it over.
I wake up with my back hurting sometimes so I think it's time to start mattress shopping again.
We have a pillow top Sealy Mattress which we have loved for the last 12 years!!
I appreciate any comments on the sleep number bed.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM

988 posts, read 1,230,940 times
Exclamation Mattresses

Found this very tough myself. Basically, I had to buy two and take almost 100% loss on the first one. And, I did my research, too.

If you have heat issues, like menopause NO FOAM. Don't care what kind, all foam is hot. Had lots of discussions w/others but the fact is that I get hot flashes and have a heat sensitive neuropathy. Ended up buying a great coil mattress with laytex topper. $655.00, and I am living on social security. Slept on it for 5 months and could not sell it. Replaced with posketed coil matress, which is less comfy for sore joints but better for keeping the heat downn, and that's w/central a/c.

Don't know if it's the bed bug issue in the country or not, but I couldn't sell mine at all. Was finally going to give it away and was offerred to replace the storage costs ($200.00) over time. Jumped on it.

Know nothing about sleep number bed. What I have learned is that if you need a good mattress for health reasons, if you buy the wrong one, you will have to get a new one. You will hurt yourself....

Maybe search the forum for 800 number where you can exchange the bed if you don't like it. Believe I found information on them here.

Good Luck.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:02 AM

40,162 posts, read 49,327,875 times
If buying a coiled mattress the higher the coil count the better the mattress. We went directly to a manufacturer and they educated us on the making and quality of mattresses. We bought a hotel grade 950 coil count for $600.00 that included box and frame. Fantastic comfortable well built bed.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,989,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A good place to buy mattress is Costco: not only they have pretty good quality mattresses, but any exchange/refund is a breeze
Last year I got that Sealy Barryton they have in the coupon book on a fairly regular basis. It was pretty cheap, but it's not that great.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 PM

29,986 posts, read 37,945,488 times
Look for a local mattress manufacturer in your own city over the box stores and mattress stores. Usually a better product at a lower price.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,713,042 times
I go from store to store, and roll around and try out the beds till I find one I like.....a new mattress will be better than what you have, so there's almost no downside to it!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:24 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,228,181 times
If you like a firm mattress (which I do), you can NOT beat IKEA for price and quality. (And a 25 year guarantee.)

I've tried every expensive mattress in the world, including entire mattresses of memory foam, sleep number nonsense, etc., None of them were worth a hill of beans.

IKEA for life. I'm deadly serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products