Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 03:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,092,566 times

Advertisements

Some interesting stats

Just How Big Is Wal-Mart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 03:20 AM

61,379 posts, read 86,287,266 times
I think, this is the most interesting statment:

Wal-Mart, although a great "business" success story that has brought cheaper goods to our homes, is also a symbol of America's decline.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:31 AM

645 posts, read 1,272,874 times
Americans now work for low paying Wal-Mart jobs when their parents worked for high paying union jobs at industrial manufacturing companies that are now… in China.

An emotional topic for me. Not only has this affected 300+ million Americans, but it's affected my family as well, so it's very heartfelt for many reasons. Both parents, uncles, scores of friends all lost their jobs from the 70s through 2000. I lost mine in the middle 1990s. This was all due to plant closings. Hence, I never got to work with my father, and my son never got to work with me. Instead, he's off going 100k into debt getting a college degree with absolutely no certainty that he'll have a job. It used to be, if your dad had a decent factory job, you got one when you graduated high school or turned 18. Entire generations and families worked in factories. At least that's the way it was in my area of the rust belt.

Welcome to Wal-Mart and have a great day! Thank you America! I really do appreciate your support!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,092,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Americans now work for low paying Wal-Mart jobs when their parents worked for high paying union jobs at industrial manufacturing companies that are now… in China.

An emotional topic for me. Not only has this affected 300+ million Americans, but it's affected my family as well, so it's very heartfelt for many reasons. Both parents, uncles, scores of friends all lost their jobs from the 70s through 2000. I lost mine in the middle 1990s. This was all due to plant closings. Hence, I never got to work with my father, and my son never got to work with me. Instead, he's off going 100k into debt getting a college degree with absolutely no certainty that he'll have a job. It used to be, if your dad had a decent factory job, you got one when you graduated high school or turned 18. Entire generations and families worked in factories. At least that's the way it was in my area of the rust belt.

Welcome to Wal-Mart and have a great day! Thank you America! I really do appreciate your support!
I remember growing up in the city and all the factories and the factory neighborhoods, most people were earning a good wage going to the factories every day.
Now the factories are mostly all gone to be replaced with condo's,bare fields or just derelict factory buildings. Those past days were days of hopes and dreams and plentiful happy times for the working class and although the jobs may not have been that great they were there in abundance, good honest working class hero's are gone to be replaced by people working in cubicles processing endless data on computer screens.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
Wal-mart has brought the same goods as other and forced down prices. You would not be gettig any different goods even without them.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 AM

23,612 posts, read 23,913,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post

This isn't Wal*Mart's fault. They tried the "Made in America" route and the people didn't want it. They wanted less expensive products, so Wal*Mart delivered. The unions you think are so great are a large part of the reason that manufacturing has been moved off-shore.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,783,309 times
If your middle class, how can you afford to not shop at Walmart?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,629,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Wal-mart has brought the same goods as other and forced down prices. You would not be gettig any different goods even without them.
A little dirty secret is, your are not getting the same items. Sure they may look the same, packaged the same, marketed the same, but in many cases, they are not the same. A tell-tale way to see this is when you see product recalls and they are recalling Brand A Model 10101, yet the recall notices only apply to Brand A Model 10101-C. That "-" is code for Walmart. Look at some of the past messages on CD about product recalls and you'll see many that people had a product that was recalled but the item specifically said only if you bought it at walmart, all others are not being recalled. I have seen the factories in China, Phillipines, India, Thailand etc that manfucature brand name products and I know for a fact that walmart items are off products meaning some parts or processes of the manufacturing are not to the same standard as that same product being sold to sears, traget or other retailers. But that is what americans want, so walmart delivers. As often said at these factories, an uneducated consumer is walmarts best customer

Old 08-09-2011, 05:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,629,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This isn't Wal*Mart's fault. They tried the "Made in America" route and the people didn't want it. They wanted less expensive products, so Wal*Mart delivered.
Thats true, walmart is only selling what consumers will buy at the price point they want to spend. You can take two identical products, one selling for $1.00 and another selling for $1.09. The One for $1.00 will sell out at walmrt and the one for $1.09 will sit on the shelf at target so long as amaericans can save that $.09. And it doen;t matter that the one for $1.00 was made in Iran and the profits are used to support attacks on american military, it's cheapest so that is all americans care about. The $1.09 was made in the USA and the profits are used to hire more workers at the factory and retailer.

FYI, this has little to do with unions. Americans have nobody to blame but themselves for what is happening because they are only concerned about the bargin they got, not the cost of that bargin. For me, I love these outsourcing, the more jobs shipped overseas, the more money I make, so I LOVE WALMART!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products