U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:25 AM

11,434 posts, read 16,688,110 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why I did it. I just simply told the old codger that I was not a thief and pay for everything that I own. That wasn't enough. Another security guard in a truck came by and asked me for my receipt and my name. I told him that I would not be branded a potential criminal when shopping at their store. Again, I refused. He then threatened to take my car's license plate #. I left. I still don't understand why they don't use hidden cameras and two way mirrors like everyone else. If they already do, why isn't that already enough? I don't like Sams very much.

Showing the receipt seems like a very "sheeple" thing to do, in my opinion. I'm anything but a sheeple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 12:47 AM

39,889 posts, read 57,710,982 times
They do have cameras, but they prefer an additional check. The problem is, that this is a "bogus" check... the one second scan through my long list of purchases and one look at my cart loaded with boxes do not justify whatever they are paid for. It's intimidating and yes, a customer feels like a potential criminal. Costco does the same.
In most cases, a receipt check is voluntary, but several wholesale shopping clubs make you agree to them as part of the membership contract. ( contract? where is the contract?)

SAMS policy: "To ensure that you are charged correctly for the merchandise you have selected, you will be requested to show your receipt when exiting."
SAM'S CLUB reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the warehouse and to refuse entry to anyone at our discretion.
Hahaha... like the clerk at the door knows all prices in the store!!

Costo policy: "To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise will be inspected as you leave the warehouse." Same BS.

Accurate Receipts At the warehouse exit, you will
be asked to show your receipt. This practice is a double
check to ensure that the items purchased have been
processed correctly by our cashiers. This is our most effective
method of maintaining accuracy in inventory control. It’s
also a good way to see that our members have been charged
properly for their purchases

http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/WelcomeBrochure04.pdf (broken link) page 6

Unless you've signed a membership agreement agreeing to receipt checks, or they actually see you shoplifting, stores have no right to stop you from leaving the store for refusing a receipt-check.

Sometimes a refusal might end like this: http://www.michaelrighi.com/2007/09/...-circuit-city/

and a bonus read: http://www.thelegality.com/2008/03/1...eipt-checking/
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 08-19-2011 at 01:04 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 06:19 AM

15,584 posts, read 7,661,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm not sure why I did it. I just simply told the old codger that I was not a thief and pay for everything that I own. That wasn't enough. Another security guard in a truck came by and asked me for my receipt and my name. I told him that I would not be branded a potential criminal when shopping at their store. Again, I refused. He then threatened to take my car's license plate #. I left. I still don't understand why they don't use hidden cameras and two way mirrors like everyone else. If they already do, why isn't that already enough? I don't like Sams very much.

Showing the receipt seems like a very "sheeple" thing to do, in my opinion. I'm anything but a sheeple.
Good for you for refusing and walking away.

I wonder how many boot lickers will chime in and tell us what perfect citizens they are and would show the reciept because they have nothing to hide and security was just "doing their job"?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,214,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If you don't like Sam's, why are you paying them to shop there? If this were a normal store (Walmart, Target, etc.), I'd be completely on your side, but Sam's is a membership club and you agreed to the rules (including receipt checks) when you signed up and paid for your membership.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 AM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
I am a power-shopper. I habitually compare pricing and products at various stores. If we had a contest where you and I independently shopped for the same items, especially food items, in this area, I would pay far less than you for the same quality products. That isn't bragging, it is just the way I am and sets up my next statement -

I have tried Sams Club and Costco over the years and determined that other than a large bag of pignolia nuts, I have never seen either of them have a price point cheaper than what I could find elsewhere. Further, some of the products in those large containers are of far inferior quality, and returns are problematic. For that matter, there were times I saw the same product in Sam's and Walmart (same parent company) and the Walmart prices were cheaper. In every case where I had signed up for Sams or Costco, I let my membership drop. Paying $25 or more for a "membership" to pay retail, wait in incredibly long lines, have to scrounge for boxes for packing, and then have some bozo inspect my receipt has got to be one of the stupidist things I've done because other people talked me into it. Even more stupid is that I did it more than once.

As for receipt checking, I like the following two responses:
"Certainly you may check my receipt and package... just as soon as you allow me to inspect my money that was put in your cash register."

"OK, you want to check my receipt. Since by doing so, you are labeling me as a potential shoplifter, the moment you do this, I intend to turn around, go back into the store, get my money back, and never shop here again. Your choice."

Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,535,609 times
LOL ya'll are squealing about the wrong thing.

At the cash register, EVERY big-box or franchise store keeps an internal record of what you buy - from pickled pigs' feet to beer. Any 'Man in Black' with a warrant (or sometimes without one) can come in, run register receipts, check to see what you have bought, and keep track of what you have and what you use on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Insurance companies do this to prove fraudulent workers' comp claims. Even some businesses do it to determine if their employees have an alcohol problem or are spending money that they don't have (embezzlement, etc). The fact that you have a membership card just makes it that much easier to run your purchase records - for anyone. Since Sam's is (ostensibly) a supplier for small businesses, the tax people can check to see what you are buying for retail sale, and to make sure that eventually the taxes get paid.

So some old fart gets paid $12 an hour to make a highlighter mark on your receipt (which may or may not be accurate, he has no way of knowing). The purpose is to ensure that you didn't pay for a pack of pens and walk out with 4 tires for your truck or a brand-new computer. Do you think he'll tackle you or run you down if you do? Heck, no, he'll call someone, who'll call someone else, who might or might not call the cops. By that time a typical thief will be long gone. It's like locking your doors when you leave your house - if someone really WANTS in, they are getting in. If someone really wants to steal from Sam's or anywhere else, they will. It is a physical/sight deterrent, nothing more. The real rape of your rights is at the cash register!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM

4,557 posts, read 9,852,692 times
I'll tell you how pointless the check is -

We live quite a ways from our Sam's Club so only go once a month at most. One time we got home and I was looking at the receipt - and noticed the the cashier failed to ring up everything that had been on the rack underneath the basket - we had even pointed it out to him.

These were very big bags of dog food, cat food, etc. - so the door checker was totally doing their job that day - which consisted of mindlessly running a highlighter through our receipt.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM

38,016 posts, read 46,820,052 times
I know how you feel. I will not frequent a grocery store which has visible detectors at the entrance/exits. Why do they want my business, if they assume I'm a thief?
I have also turned around and left a few antique shops, and a mall fur outlet, which required me to lock my purse and the coat I wore in a locker in order to come in to their store. No way.
I know that theft is a real, expensive problem for merchants, but when you blatently offend me, I won't stand for it.
I would love to avoid Sam's Club forever, but darned if I don't enjoy their meat and the fact that some of their prepared foods are a nice change from the things I get at my usual store.

Last edited by gentlearts; 08-19-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-19-2011, 02:46 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,358,185 times
Wow, surprised that so many feel the same on this issue. I too dislike and don't usually tolerate the whole "security state" shopping experience. Walmart likes to check receipts as well. More often than not, IF I am shopping at Walmart, upon exiting I continue my brisk walking pace right out of the door and PAST the "checkers". I will not wait to be "checked". Sometimes if I get distracted I will allow the worker to check me. Something I have noticed at Walmart is they only check the receipt if the item is unbagged. So needless to say I insist the cashier bag everything that can be bagged.

One of the reasons I don't like to go into Best Buy is the visual once over upon entering along with the verbal greeting. And I am not partial to the sporting goods chain - used to be Galyans-can't think of the name - which REQUIRES you to navigate a veritable maze in order to exit the store. Just looking? Not there. You can't exit the way you came in and MUST proceed the way that you are steered by the counter set up.

Oh, I also don't regularly shop in places with security guards. Offensive to me. One of my local Target stores will from time to time have a guard posted at the front. Offensive. This is not "the hood".

I have also noticed that automatic exit doors, particularly the ones at Target, are closing several seconds slower. Ostensibly to deter the running out of the door thief!!!

I get that retail loses tons of money due to theft, but none of us live in a police state or Mogadishu. Nothing can possibly justify all of this extensive, obvious and annoying security.

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 08-19-2011 at 03:30 PM..

Old 08-19-2011, 03:11 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,166,055 times
Sam's Club and Costco are not standard retail stores, they are MEMBERSHIP CLUBS! Who cares what Walmart, target, or Joes Bargin basement does, they are not the same so why are some of you lumping your rights at one type as the same rights at the other type. When you joined these stores YOU agreed to abide by the rules. Another of the rules is you must have a membership card to check out, are you telling me that that is some vioation of rights? Just go ahead and try checking out withiout that card and see what happens! What's next, the "Limit 2" on their coupon is a vilation of your rights? I was under the impression that only adults can join but I'm starting to think that a whole bunch of children slipped passed the screening process

If you don't like their rules, quit the club and shop somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products