U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,755,682 times

Advertisements

I bought a refurbished Electrolux canister back in November 2009 for $229. Brand new, it would cost probably closer to $500. It was fine until today. My cleaning lady brought to my attention that the vacuum wasn't it's usual self, which technically meant it wasn't sucking as much as usual. This was after they already finished cleaning. The only other person who used it was my daughter. Both cleaning lady and daughter have used this previously and know how to operate it. I cleaned out the hose and filters but that does not seem to remedy the situation.

I plan on getting an estimate to fix it, but not knowing how much the diagnostics are, I don't know whether I even want to go that route. Add that the cost of parts. Now I've read enough reviews to know that most of the low end ones (like the Dirt Devil Dust Mite) that go for under $100 don't last either. This was the best vacuum I've ever owned before it went this way. Does anyone know what a nominal charge is to just find out what's wrong with it? Am I better off buying a $60 canister and expect it to last but a year? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:48 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
The culprit with my vacuum is usually hair getting wrapped up in the sweeper roll. I have to cut it lose with scissors and unwind it all. (My daughter and I both have long hair.) I'm not sure in your case. You could read around on here to see if it is a bearing problem or maybe post your own question.
Electrolux Model E Canister Vacuum Bearings [Archive] - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Thank you GloryB. I actually took it to my sewing/vacuum guy who seems to think it is the dust cups that need to be replaced. I checked the Electrolux site for parts and the set of 2 would set me back $99. I don't think it's worth paying $99 for a part that could "possibly" be the culprit so I'm looking to buy another canister. He demo'd a Sanitaire Mighty Mite for me, and while his price is higher than that online on various sites, he will back it up with a 2-year parts and labor warranty for nothing. Considering my luck with vacuums, hubby thinks we should go this route.

Additionally, I got a serious education on vacuums from this guy. Recapping, canisters are for hard wood because they work based on suction. Uprights have a different technology and move the wind around the area and actually pushes the wind with the debris into the bag. Good to know. Basically, he thinks that this all-in-one concept on vacuums is not a good idea. He also told me that motors on all hard cased floor cleaners cannot be repaired. Once it's fried, it's over with.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,461,975 times
<shrug> I just repaired our Electrolux (stupid plastic switch part broke - poor design and materials choice). Cost was less than $10.

Suction-
#1 - MOST OFTEN a wad of paper or hair or cat furball will get caught in the hose or head. Sometimes it means taking the beater head apart to find and remove it, or ramming a pipe or rod through the hose until it is clear. I've even had to use duck-nose pliers when a wet area was vacuumed and dirt created a clay coating on the interior of the head.
#2 - there is a vent section on the hose used to reduce suction when cleaning drapes and similar stuff. Make sure that it is twisted closed and not damaged.
#3 - the older cloth covered hoses start to leak air as they age. Replacement can make a 100% improvement.
#4 - there is a post "hepa" (HA!) filter on many of the canister models. That can become clogged with dust, slowing the airflow.
#5 - seals may fail or not be installed properly.
#6 - a bag may be defective or pores clogged. Fireplace ashes are a BIG problem, and can make a new bag worthless in less than a minute.
99.9% of the time, one of the above is the culprit.

Your guy is a typical salesman of the old school. If he didn't inspect and check the above, he was just trying to sell you a new vac.. Electrolux canisters are pretty much bulletproof until the motor goes, and the beater heads do everything an upright does.

The big difference between uprights and canisters used to always be demonstrated. Someone selling canisters would have it pick up marbles. If an upright picks up a marble it can break or jamb the impeller. Someone selling uprights (back when re-usable cloth bags were used to hold the dirt) would sprinkle the floor with popcorn salt. The salt would sieve through the dust bag and corrode and short the canister motor. Never trust a vac. salesman.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM

Actually Harry, I figured out what was wrong. There was another filter, a cone-like contraption inside the collection bin. My daughter did not clean that when she emptied the bin, so when the cleaning ladies used it, it basically got completely wrapped in dog hair. The salesman is not familiar with this model and did not even check it. So when I took the hair out of there, suction returned. Voila! I'm spared buying a new canister!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,461,975 times
Great. Never heard of anything like that filter you describe, glad you figured it out. Now you need to start charging $$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products