Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Walmart or Target??
Walmart 10 11.90%
Target 59 70.24%
Both are great 10 11.90%
Neither. They both suck. 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Nope. Target's popcorn is the best.

One of my Target's has a Starbucks but I bypass that and head for the original. Cherry Icee and Popcorn number 1. I miss the White Cherry Icee's of the 90s.

I went in another a few weeks ago and the food area was jacked up. No cups, no popcorn made, no napkins, 9 people waiting and not ONE of use left to go shopping. We waited and made them get to moving and got our popcorn and icee's...THEN we shopped.

You can't shop in Target without an Icee in your hand and popcorn propped up in the basket.
Sure you can. I've never bought an Icee or popcorn at Target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Easily Target. I pretty much despise Wal-Mart...ok, maybe despise is too strong a word...mostly dislike. I will go there in a pinch, but that is about it.

I go to Target if I must go shopping.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
Target is nicer, but generally has much less of a selection and prices are higher. For price and selection, it's Target. If I'm looking for a unique gift or designer something or other, it's Target. The Target stores around here are never busy and I sometimes wonder how they stay in business.

From an ex-Targeteer who opened store no. 14 back in 1969 (pre-Walmart days).

Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Can't beat wally world for pices, but Target does have some better stuff. A lot of what Target sells, however, is just more expensive junk that could be better gotten at wally world. Target's furtniture, in particular, I've found to be completely useless. I mean cheap construction with a thin veneer is never going to last... but Targets stuff is cheap even for that type of construction. Set a glass on the "wood" and the low-end stain runs, then the veneer blisters... and it's down hill from there. I had a chair break when my overly excitable dog ran in and jumped on me while I was sitting on it. The leg just ripped straight out of the particle board base. You know you've got low-quality furniture when the glue used to attach the pieces is stronger than the wood. I guess it's $50 and you get what you pay for...

Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,361 times
Target back in the back. Walmart now.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Target.
You couldn't pay me to go to a WalMart.

I agree, you could not pay me to go to wallyworld.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Some people don't like Walmart for the stigma associated with it. I am not bothered by the stigma and would be happy to shop at Walmart if the quality improved there. I shopped at Walmart as a kid in the 70's and 80's and it was a much different experience then than it is now. Back then, Walmart was much less busy, the stores were cleaner, the shoppers were more polite, they had a better selection and carried more high-end products relative to the time. The service was great and employees were younger and seemed happy to work there and never had a bad thing to say about it back then. When I was a teenager, I had friends who worked at Walmart and loved working there and it was considered a cool job back then. Yes, I'm being serious, this is how much Walmart changed. Of course back then, Walmart had much more competition, K-Mart was big and then they had so many mom and pop dime stores to compete with too. I am oftened saddened by shopping at Target because I still have a nostalgic connection to Walmart but it's clearly not the same Walmart I used to shop at when I was a kid.

Since then, Walmart has become the epitome of trashiness. The stores are too busy. The aisles are too narrow. They deliberately carry cheap products and stopped carrying more expensive products and labels that I used to be able to find there just 5 years ago. The people who work there don't seem to care about their job and look depressed and tired. You always have to wait in long lines because there are not enough registers open and they don't seem to care that people have been waiting in line for 20 minutes. You will often see products that have been opened and left on the shelves or mangled and you can tell no one has probably been to that area of the store for a week or so. Their produce, even at the nice Walmarts, looks substandard and lettuce is wilted, berries look over ripe, onions are soft and squishy in areas. The parking lots are not as well lit, people drive ridiculously fast in their parking lots and you don't see enough security or measures to improve how people drive through their parking spaces.

Target is much better. The stores are less crowded. They carry less products but whatever products they carry tend to be high quality. You don't see opened and mangled products on the shelves. The employees look happy and will ask if you need help if you make eye contact with them. If you are waiting in line at a register and if a line starts to build up, a Target employee will grab you and ask if they can help you; that rarely if ever happens at Walmart whereas this is routine at Target. The stores have better lighting and if you need help locating something, someone will basically walk with you and show you where to go. Their parking lot is better lit, their entry ways and access points are better designed, the parking lots will have speed bumps and other contraptions to slow down drivers, there are stop signs near the entry points so people can't just drive through. I never fear for my kids safety when we cross at Target but at Walmart, I pick up my kids up because I fear that some crazy driver will drive through as they often do.

And before someone says: "Well my Walmart is not like that" or "It depends on which Walmart you g too" I agree that I think there is some truth to that but even the very best Walmarts have these elements. I went to a Walmart that opened last year and it too has already earned some Walmart like traits.

Walmart has gotten too big and they realize they don't have any major competition so quality is clearly not their biggest concern. They are more concerned about expanding and creating more Walmarts than improving their existing stores. Target realizes it has it's niche and it's niche is to be the anti-Walmart and it works for me. I will happily pay more money to have a better shopping experience; peace of mind is priceless and thankfully I can afford it.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What I don't understand is the "shopping experience" people are talking about at Target. I honestly don't see a difference. Maybe it's because I have a life outside of shopping, but that doesn't seem like something that should matter. I would not want to pay more for that if that's what Target lovers are saying.
How old are you? Are you a young single person? The reason I ask is when you have a family, unfortunately shopping becomes a big part of your life and you constantly have to run to the store to buy things. When I was single, I too could care less about the shopping atmosphere as my goal was to get in and get out. Now, it's about taking children with you and spending time in the store so atmosphere definitely make a difference now and Walmart is much more stressful than Target.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Some people don't like Walmart for the stigma associated with it. I am not bothered by the stigma and would be happy to shop at Walmart if the quality improved there. I shopped at Walmart as a kid in the 70's and 80's and it was a much different experience then than it is now. Back then, Walmart was much less busy, the stores were cleaner, the shoppers were more polite, they had a better selection and carried more high-end products relative to the time. The service was great and employees were younger and seemed happy to work there and never had a bad thing to say about it back then. When I was a teenager, I had friends who worked at Walmart and loved working there and it was considered a cool job back then. Yes, I'm being serious, this is how much Walmart changed. Of course back then, Walmart had much more competition, K-Mart was big and then they had so many mom and pop dime stores to compete with too. I am oftened saddened by shopping at Target because I still have a nostalgic connection to Walmart but it's clearly not the same Walmart I used to shop at when I was a kid.

Since then, Walmart has become the epitome of trashiness. The stores are too busy. The aisles are too narrow. They deliberately carry cheap products and stopped carrying more expensive products and labels that I used to be able to find there just 5 years ago. The people who work there don't seem to care about their job and look depressed and tired. You always have to wait in long lines because there are not enough registers open and they don't seem to care that people have been waiting in line for 20 minutes. You will often see products that have been opened and left on the shelves or mangled and you can tell no one has probably been to that area of the store for a week or so. Their produce, even at the nice Walmarts, looks substandard and lettuce is wilted, berries look over ripe, onions are soft and squishy in areas. The parking lots are not as well lit, people drive ridiculously fast in their parking lots and you don't see enough security or measures to improve how people drive through their parking spaces.

Target is much better. The stores are less crowded. They carry less products but whatever products they carry tend to be high quality. You don't see opened and mangled products on the shelves. The employees look happy and will ask if you need help if you make eye contact with them. If you are waiting in line at a register and if a line starts to build up, a Target employee will grab you and ask if they can help you; that rarely if ever happens at Walmart whereas this is routine at Target. The stores have better lighting and if you need help locating something, someone will basically walk with you and show you where to go. Their parking lot is better lit, their entry ways and access points are better designed, the parking lots will have speed bumps and other contraptions to slow down drivers, there are stop signs near the entry points so people can't just drive through. I never fear for my kids safety when we cross at Target but at Walmart, I pick up my kids up because I fear that some crazy driver will drive through as they often do.

And before someone says: "Well my Walmart is not like that" or "It depends on which Walmart you g too" I agree that I think there is some truth to that but even the very best Walmarts have these elements. I went to a Walmart that opened last year and it too has already earned some Walmart like traits.

Walmart has gotten too big and they realize they don't have any major competition so quality is clearly not their biggest concern. They are more concerned about expanding and creating more Walmarts than improving their existing stores. Target realizes it has it's niche and it's niche is to be the anti-Walmart and it works for me. I will happily pay more money to have a better shopping experience; peace of mind is priceless and thankfully I can afford it.
^^ Pretty much this.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There is so much garbage in the way of anti-Walmart propaganda. Has anyone ever visited a small town with a nearby Walmart? You will see how it actually HELPS the community, including the smaller businesses.

Or I guess people would rather go back to the days when everything was sold in little corner, mom and pop stores. Back when people spent 50% of their income on groceries. Yeah, those were glorious days before the evil Big Businesses with their Price-Cutting ways came in and started oppressing everyone.
Ha, you should visit the central valley sometime. Abandoned downtown after abandoned downtown.

On the other hand, I've lived in many communities with vibrant downtowns that have no Walmart. However, I don't blame Walmart, the citizens chose where to shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products