U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Walmart or Target??
Walmart 10 11.90%
Target 59 70.24%
Both are great 10 11.90%
Neither. They both suck. 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 PM

8,307 posts, read 11,728,723 times

Advertisements

I like Walmart because I think they have better quality, especially with the non-brand stuff. I trust their products more. They also just have more of the brand stuff, too. There are more employees there to help.

The light colors at Target are kind of "tacky" to me. I only shop at Target because there are more of them closer to where I live and work, and it's usually easy to get a close parking spot.

But when I go to Walmart it's more of a treat, like an event in itself. It's more like a trip to the mall.

Target is not much more than a drugstore (or dollar store) as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM

18,707 posts, read 4,655,325 times
We have a Super Walmart here ( Pueblo West Colorado) but Safeway has better produce.
My daughter has a Super Target in Denver and is very pleased with their food section.
I would be comparing a Super Walmart with a regular Target. To me they are both okay..
I like KMart too, depends what I'm looking for. The place I go the least is the mall.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 PM

943 posts, read 1,488,551 times
Default Yuk Walmart

Target is upbeat compared to Walmart

Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,721,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I like Walmart because I think they have better quality, especially with the non-brand stuff. I trust their products more. They also just have more of the brand stuff, too. There are more employees there to help.
That hasn't been my experience. Target carries Bose stereo systems which Walmart does not carry. Target carries Lanisoh baby wipes and Mustella baby products which Walmart does not carry. With regard to furniture and home furnishings, Walmart does not carry certain high end brands that Target carries. When Apple products first became mainstream, Walmart didn't carry them whereas Target did particularly with regard to the i-Pods. It wouldn't make sense because Target caters to a higher socioeconomic demographic (ie no layaway plans at Target).

Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,721,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Your posts about Target are spot on. It is really a pleasant experience to go there, about as night-and-day different from Walmart as you can get. I am exactly the demographic Target is "targeting!" LOL I am in love with my Super Target, and yes, I did try shopping at super Walmart for awhile and just could not stand it - a really depressing atmosphere, with horrible long lines and weird clientele to mention just a couple problems.

I would add that while some things are more expensive at Target, they actually offer some really GREAT higher-end stuff at far less cost than you would pay at upscale department stores. Also, the Super Target is my main grocery now, and they have both low-end and high-end products, the low end generic ( Market Pantry) is equivalent in price to the Walmart Great Value. But Target offers a lot more organic, and gourmet items to choose from also, at higher prices of course but still less than gourmet grocers like The Fresh Market.

Lastly, I get treated like a queen at Super Target - there are ALWAYS smiling helpful store clerks to help me find something or tend to my needs. The customer service is just outstanding. And between their good prices, coupons and my 5% discount for using their debit card, I really don't think it works out costing more than Walmart after all.
Maybe it's different in the South and rural communities but in large urban and metropolitan areas, the difference is night and day with regard to the consumers both stores attract. Walmarts are largely ghetto in the West Coast. You see gangs shop there. You always see police cars there at night. The people who shop in there are pretty scary. People shop at Target just to avoid that scene and have a normal shopping experience. I can see how Walmarts are more the norm in the South because they are more culturally in tune with the South and the Evangelical culture which Walmart espouses. Even in Chicago, I know people who refuse to shop at Walmart for safety reasons

Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 PM

954 posts, read 1,076,257 times
I went to a Walmart once, it was too depressing. You don't realize how pathetic most humans are until you've been in a Walmart.

Does Walmart sell Missoni? Yeah, I don't think so.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:00 AM

I have bought computers twice at Walmart. I have also looked at Target many times and their selection is surprisingly sparce.

The same experience with MP3 players.

Walmart may not carry certain brands for a few items, but in general they carry a lot more selections for a broader range of products. They also just sell a broader range of products. I've even heard that they allow "creativity" in their employees to have input in stocking/selecting items to sell in their departments. I've never heard of anything like that at Target.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 AM

I had a friend who worked at Target who told me that they used to "drop" merchandise in the storeroom onto the floor below. Things like MICROWAVE OVENS or other appliances. They had to go into upper levels of stockrooms and get large items like that. There was no special equipment to get things down. No training on how to get them. Otherwise they would have to carry them down backwards on a ladder!

I'm sorry, but I get the feeling Walmart has higher standards about things like that.

I have seen some of the night stockpeople waiting to go to work at Target there and it looked like a pretty dangerous bunch. Talk about "ghetto."

I have also heard of more people returning things at Target. What's up with that??

Old 09-16-2011, 01:18 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,665,908 times
Trolling on behalf of walmart, I have to say, that's a new one.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Trolling on behalf of walmart, I have to say, that's a new one.
Creating an account with one post just to say that. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products