U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 PM

6,769 posts, read 8,805,505 times

Advertisements

Ok - Listen up Fellow posters - You are making me feel so friggen old and I'm only in my "ahem".....30's. Like I' said I have a waterbed. LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 AM

855 posts, read 2,191,951 times
When my wife and I met 10 years ago, she told me she's had a waterbed since the 70s. I joked about her being stuck in a time warp, but have to admit I love the thing now. We've and a couple of spats where I ended up sleeping on a regular bed in our guest bedroom, and boy did my back miss that sucker.

I wouldn't have minded one when they were first popular but I didn't know anyone that had one and didn't want to get one and end up not liking it. Besides, things moved so slow in the tiny NJ town I grew up in, by the time we heard of them there the 70s were almost over. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

For the record, ours is heated with an enclosed heating element similiar to something you might find embedded in heated floors. It has a thermostat that I usually keep taped in one position. It's mounted on the side of the bed, and there have been a couple of times my arm has swung over the side and turned the dial, causing me to wake up sweating bullets.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 59,162,798 times
ooo I could not own a waterbed. I would end up single again.

I pick to much and just reading this thread I came up with ideas what I would do to my partner.

I would push ocean sounds on the computer and create waves while they are sleeping then switch the sound to a cruise ship horn blowing .......ooo Im a stinker

Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 PM

420 posts, read 1,162,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
I don't understand how the bed would be warmer.. just because it's a water bed. wouldn't the water get cold? just like the sheets? if it's cold outside or in the room?

I never owned a waterbed.. but I napped on a few ...and they were really really hard to get out of and keep any shred of dignity intact... lol
As to how the water temperature is controlled----there is a heating unit (it looks like an over-sized heating pad) between the mattress and the base that holds the mattress. A thermostat is mounted to the side board near the head of the bed. Turn the heat up or down like your house thermostat. It usually takes a couple days for the water to either warm up or cool down because of the amount of water in the mattress.
I had one for about 15 years with the drawers under the frame so it was higher off the floor than most and it had railing pads. The bed had a 4" fiber-like mat that floated inside to make it waveless.
With the bed being so high--To get out of it I rolled over on my stomach about half on the bed and half on railing, put my leg over the edge and foot on the floor, as I was starting to stand I would swing the other leg over and stand up. It took a few times to figure that maneuver out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
I like the idea of it being warm before you get in.. .mmm. makes it harder to get out on a cold morning tho?

...what about kitties? will kitties kill a waterbed with their claws?
I got a small pinhole leak two different times because of the cats chasing down the hall and leaping onto the waterbed with all 20 claws extended to stop their forward momentum. I was able to patch both tiny leaks--successfully.
I got rid of it for 2 reasons. My chiropractor told me it was bad for my back and my ex-husband didn't like it. Personally, I LOVED that bed it was extremely comfortable and I slept so good. I also had a dual vibrating unit installed so I could have a full back massage as well.
Oh yeah, and with the drawers underneath the frame--my clothes would be nice and warm from the heat radiating from the heating unit.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:01 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,782,762 times
My husband and I have had a waterbed for about 5 year now. We got the low motion one so we didn't feel like we were sinking ships. Low maintainence, just add water conditioner once a year, and as someone mentioned, perfect in the winter with the heater. The only thing now is when we finally sell in NJ, I think we may go for a Tempur-Pedic in NC. Although the waterbed is comfy, my husband is very tall and has been having some back issues. His chiropracter seems to feel he may need more support then the waterbed may give.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:44 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,997,149 times
[quote=square peg;1308854]I have only been on a waterbed once and it was all about the wild thing you sickie you! !

I did a job in a house a few weeks back, They had a water bed and the wild thing got a little too wild

The bed burst and the water shorted out some wiring down stairs
and caused a major fire , The whole house was toasted
Talk about hot sex !!!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:36 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,782,762 times
[quote=BrianG;1404167]
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I have only been on a waterbed once and it was all about the wild thing you sickie you! !

I did a job in a house a few weeks back, They had a water bed and the wild thing got a little too wild

Talk about hot sex !!!
Sound more like a fantasy to me. Are you sure you weren't dreaming?

Old 09-01-2007, 11:52 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,459,310 times
[quote=BrianG;1404167]
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I have only been on a waterbed once and it was all about the wild thing you sickie you! !

Talk about hot sex !!!
DANGER: This Waterbed could burst and kill you if it becomes overheated. To avoid electrical fire, injury or death, body temperates should not exceed a combined 208.2 degrees during Wild Thing sessions. If body temperatures exceed maximum authorized, as previously stated, this Waterbed Warranty becomes void and manufacturer is not liable for damages or personal injury.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,625,552 times
We used to have a tubular waterbed about 4 years ago. Problem was you had to get each tube filled with the same amount of water or it would end up being lumpy. Problem two replacement tubes for broken tubes were not the same size....bed ended up lumpy. Problem 3 broken tubes or tubes with slow leaks caused mildew smell. So we got rid of it and now have a wonderful pillow top bed.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,206,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessvanessa View Post
I had one for about 15 years with the drawers under the frame so it was higher off the floor than most and it had railing pads. The bed had a 4" fiber-like mat that floated inside to make it waveless.
With the bed being so high--To get out of it I rolled over on my stomach about half on the bed and half on railing, put my leg over the edge and foot on the floor, as I was starting to stand I would swing the other leg over and stand up. It took a few times to figure that maneuver out.
I have a bed just like this. It took me awhile to get that maneuver down too, but now I'm a pro. You should have seen me attempt it at 9 months pregnant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products