U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 AM

18,288 posts, read 20,811,069 times

Advertisements

I bought my waterbed in 1984 and it is the only piece of furniture I have ever bought brand new. I still use it and wouldn't trade it for anything. I do have an extended riser under it so it stands about low hip height. I have had to replace the bladder (mattress) 2 times and the heater about 4 times. This bladder now does not move when your partner moves you can't feel it. It reminds me of a cushion top or feather tick mattress.

Bedroom One still sells waterbeds and parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 PM

19 posts, read 83,021 times
I had a waterbed for about 2 years while I was in high school. Used to love the warmth of it. When I was a senior it sprung a leak, so took it apart & put the frame in my parents garage. It ended up on the curb several years later. Yeah it's funny, eveyrone used to have these, now you never hear about them or see them.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 PM

329 posts, read 1,341,622 times
I have wanted a waterbed since the 70's Long time, huh? Now that I am divorced it seems like a nice way to treat myself. I am confused by what I am reading here. I have a lot of lower back isses, sciatica etc. From what I am gathering the consensus seems to be divided on whether the water bed has helped vs, aggravated back conditions. Which is it?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:56 PM

I have back and nerve damage from a wreck and I can't sleep on anything but my waterbed. I would suggest you don't get a full motion mattress, get one that has baffles that will help stop the motion. Also one that either has the drawers or a riser under it will make it easier to get out of too.

jhf2140 I have seen people make bookcases out of the headboards that are really cool. Too bad you couldn't find another use for the wood frame because it is really sturdy wood.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 PM

70 posts, read 340,050 times
Default Your post brought back some weird memories

I used to work for a waterbed store in Sacramento called La Bries Waterbeds. This was way back in the early 80's. I delivered and set up waterbeds for the "Waterbed King" of northern CA. I can tell you that waterbeds were bought for "doin the dirty deed" back then. I used to see all kinds of things in peoples beds that were not there when they bought it. Huge bolts screwed in to the frames with rope & pulleys, the "marital toys" that they thought they had lost would pop out when the mattress was drained or they'd be stuck between the frame & mattress. It was hilarious when we'd find something and the customer was standing there like "OH that isnt mine".The best was the sticky Poloroids that we peeled off the inside of a bedframe. I'd start talking about "Frame stress and water displacement" as if I were a safety engineer warning them that the overhead mirror support really wasnt meant to hold a human.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:04 PM

Well who did they think "it" belonged to in their bed??? What a hoot.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:38 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,456,154 times
Default Need mattress help...

Ok...I brought this thread back for a good reason...

Hubby & I have been sleeping on the "ORIGINAL-TYPE" waterbed, with NO BAFFLES for 30 plus years. Yes it's heated, couldn't have it without it. It's raised with drawers underneath it & have padded rails. By the way I had to laugh when I read it was hard for some of you to get out of the waterbed. I am an aputee above knee, for almost 6 years now & I get out with no problem. I can only get out on the left side of the bed, though.

ANYWAY...
We think it's time to grow up LOL !!! My back is starting to bother me plus were putting in new flooring thru out the house.

We've checked out 1 custom mattress store so far. $ 600.00 for he mattress (nice pillow top) Talking to close friends they said that was a good price.
What advive do you have for us ? Type to look for ??? Price ???
This is going to be tough. How in the world do you know what the mattress is going to feel like to actually sleep on, when you only can check them out in a store (???)
We only need the mattress. Hubby is putting the new mattress on top of the platform.

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents worth.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 AM

1,853 posts, read 3,811,513 times
Man, now I'm bummed I never got a chance to do the wild thing on a waterbed! I only knew one relative who had one, it was king size and I got to sleep on it a few times when I was a kid. It seemed like so much fun back then although I'm sure it would get tiring after a while.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,569,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Where did the Waterbed go?
Into the dumpster with the 1980 Pacer and Bellbottom jeans?

No, seriously, with memory foam, latex, and air filled sleep number beds, there are more alternatives that are less maintenance.

I had a waterbed as a teenager. I remember waking up one morning in a pool of water up to my ear lobes. It was a strange feeling.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,127,571 times
My parents gave me their waterbed when i was a teen,I think they had it from..
The late 70's.I think they are a pain to move and not very comfortable.
Maybe they went away because they suck lol
As for the wild thing,imagine the sound of waves crashing instead of springs..
And coils squeaking lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products