U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM

20,543 posts, read 20,523,898 times

Advertisements

We bought one in the mid 90's.
It's a baffle style so no real waves.We still like it.
I especially do not miss the downhill effect of sleeping next to somebody that weighs more than me although I suppose newer better matteresses may not do that ?

Gee, Sillypups......
"We only need the mattress. Hubby is putting the new mattress on top of the platform."
Without box springs, is this really going to be comfortable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 AM

3,445 posts, read 10,177,715 times
I always heard they were bad for your back. As far as the wild thing, Imagine your knees sinking in, or the lack of resistance on a bounce. No personal experience, but can't imagine it being anything but difficult.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,907,474 times
We replaced the old waterbed when it leaked with a select comfort air bed. I have a "knock off" now but its just as comfortable. Add some memory foam to your air bed and you'll have no back problems and never miss the waterbed. And if you share it, the dual controls let you fix it just for you.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,697,406 times
I think they were an 80's thing ... Thank God.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:03 AM

4,325 posts, read 8,345,226 times
yeah we bought ours in 1980 and had it ten years. I think thats why I have a bad back.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 AM

668 posts, read 1,927,850 times
Everyone found out that those suckers leaked to many times and flooded too many places, so, they replaced the mattresses with ordinary mattresses and slept on them that way! I had a beautiful king sized water bed and had to get a 'hollywood' mattress to fit it, and it was still too short, lenght wise, but, width wise it was ok...We recently just got rid of that, and we had it for 22 years!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-17-2009, 03:46 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,344,579 times
Yea, what did happen to it? I had a king size one with the heater and a beautiful frame and headboard for it when I lived in Miami Beach. I had that for like 8 years. Even brought it back to Jersey and used it. Think I got tired of the floating feeling. Plus everytime hubby moved I would wake up and my cat would freak and try to claw at the bed!
I had that baffled mattress one and it still made slight waves!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM

24,671 posts, read 59,646,009 times
I had one for MANY years and loved it. Started off with the sloshy kind and then got one with good baffles in it, brought the mattress with me when I moved to the Caribbean in 1984. In my first apartment I just built a 2 X 6 frame for it and it was basically on the floor but then when I moved to a house I had a nice big frame built for it with drawers underneath. Always used waterbed sheets and a waterbed mattress cover for a good fit. Always had a multiple cat household and only ever had one small pinhole leak probably from a cat's claw but which was easily patched and fixed. Should add too that I had a lumbar laminectomy many years ago, I have to be careful where my back is concerned and NEVER had a problem with my back during all the years I slept on the waterbed.

Unfortunately the bed was completely trashed during hurricane Marilyn in 1995 and that was the end of that. In ensuing years I've tried all sorts of mattresses, including TempurPedics and am now - finally - wonderfully happy with a magnetic mattress pad atop the TempurPedic. If I were in a position to have a waterbed again I definitely would, though. Cheers!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:04 PM

62 posts, read 157,410 times
I was going to by a waterbed set here from HFH restore really beautiful to. I never owned one but have slept on one before, went back to get it and it was gone. Well it's too much water and caution to deal with it anyway.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 PM

253 posts, read 718,559 times
Default lmao!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Where did the Waterbed go? There was a time when just about everyone had a waterbed...then they just disappeared. Does anyone know why they became unpopular? Did increased water prices turn the American consumer away from the Waterbed or what? Do stores still sell the things? Have any of you ever owned a Waterbed or knew anyone who did? If so, can you tell the good, bad, or ugly about them.

I thought they were pretty good beds, especially for...doing the Wild Thing.
true....those was the days....then the "wild thing" gave us kids....who in turn jumped on said waterbeds...making leaks....so into the trash they went....and even after all that...the "wild thing" now days is older...as is in our backs....lol, so firmer is better....lmao(that could be taken so badly....lol)....besides...have you seen water/electric bills lately...better off skippen the waterbed and warmen your cold tootsies on the spouse...lol, i do!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products