U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,163,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMcFixit View Post
(As for doing ‘The Wild Thing’, it could be a pain because you had to figure in the motions so that you weren’t fighting the bed-but if you got you’re timing right it was actually a help! And it wasn’t waves crashing; it was more like ‘smack’ and slosh...

Happy Trails,

Molly

Heh. We had one of those major motion waterbeds and learned quickly it would be impossible for any wild thinging to go on in that thing. Just picture one person flying across the room and landing on the floor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 08:05 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post

I thought they were pretty good beds, especially for...doing the Wild Thing.
Yep, but more so, I miss sleeping on one, most comfortable sleep ever, plus it would keep you warm in winter, and cool in summer.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 PM

62 posts, read 246,730 times
Default Loved my Waterbed!

I had waterbeds for years and years, up until about 8 years ago when I moved. It was a queen and we wanted a king but never got around to finding one. It was VERY comfortable and not at ALL inconvienient. We had the Bag, but the waving was never a problem and my husband who has back problems says it was the most comfortable bed he ever slept on. That said, it does take a week or so to adjust to sleeping on water.
They have all kinds of different types of waterbed matteresses now, but I've never tried any of them. One really cool thing is that with the heater (which is small and takes very little electricity) is that you are always warm and cozy, no matter how cold it is or if you keep your house temp way low at night. In the summer you can just turn it off. We had a real nice waterbed with side pads and a Huge amount of storage on a double deck. Down the long middle you can store long things like skis and such. It takes the place of two dressers. It had a nice backboard with stained glass and shelves with doors.
There is stilll a lot of waterbed stores out there and online. We now want the king canopy (without the mirror above!). They are solid wood and stay looking good and are very, very sturdy.
Good memories! I can't wait to have another one!

Last edited by Iwaswondering; 01-16-2011 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: miss spelling!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 9,856 times
Hi,

I've had a waterbed for 25 years - I love it. However, I need to buy a new mattress (free-flow king) and do not know a good online store? Any recommendations? What is a good brand of mattress - and liners?

Thanks!!
Tom

Last edited by lifecomm; 02-01-2011 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Additional Info added

Old 06-18-2011, 01:27 AM

62 posts, read 246,730 times
Wink Waterbed Mattresses

I used to buy them in town from a store called: A Royal Suite. Now when I look at waterbed "stuff" I just google "Waterbeds" or "waterbed mattresses". You'll get several, check them all out, compare.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,845,645 times
Quote:
Where did the Waterbed go? There was a time when just about everyone had a waterbed...then they just disappeared. Does anyone know why they became unpopular? Did increased water prices turn the American consumer away from the Waterbed or what? Do stores still sell the things? Have any of you ever owned a Waterbed or knew anyone who did? If so, can you tell the good, bad, or ugly about them.

Good question! I'm part of the problem...I used to have a nice king sized waterbed. I loved that it was heated. My problem is that I've moved several times before and since then, and they're a ****** to have to fill up and drain that many times.
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but on a larger scale, I'd imagine the previous real estate boom may have had something to do with it. People flipping houses and/or always trading up to better homes...so they too, weren't staying in one residence as long as people used to.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I have only been on a waterbed once and it was all about the wild thing you sickie you! ! I don't believe the price of water led to their decline, though. More likely it was the maintenance factors and sheer inconveniences associated with them that did them in. In many climates they needed to be heated or else they were unbearably cold. The bladder had to be emptied (haha!) in order to move the bed. At least you didn't have to rearrange the furniture very often. People had to be ever-so-cautious not to sit on one with a screwdriver or utility knife in their back pocket. I guess cats and dogs claimed a few of these too. Leaks may have been their biggest downfall. When they leaked - they leaked! And things got destroyed; Like carpeting and anything on the main floor of the house if the bedroom was upstairs. Many homes in which they were installed were not designed to handle the weight of a SUV in the middle of the bedroom floor which created structural issues. They looked cool with lava lamps though...and yes - great for the wild thing!
Ah yes, now I remember the other reasons why I got rid of my waterbed. I do miss that heat though. I tried a heated mattress pad over a standard mattress, but it just wasn't the same - gave me night sweats instead.

For the wild thing, both my boyfriend and I agreed that a regular mattress worked better for us. Certainly for me if I was on top - even an extra firm waterbed wasn't supportive enough for that.

Last edited by temazepam; 06-18-2011 at 11:31 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,539,972 times
Alas, they have been replaced with the "Sleep Number" beds and the foam mattresses that conform to your body.

We had a waterbed for many years, and thought about 'trading up' to one with baffles - but finally settled on a pillowtop Serta instead. As old hippes age, we need more back support... especially to do the wild thing.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Alas, they have been replaced with the "Sleep Number" beds and the foam mattresses that conform to your body.

We had a waterbed for many years, and thought about 'trading up' to one with baffles - but finally settled on a pillowtop Serta instead. As old hippes age, we need more back support... especially to do the wild thing.
Oddly enough, the Sleep Number and Tempurpedic mattresses cost more than a king sized waterbed did including the mattress, heater and the bedframe. I'd like to try them, but it's just too expensive for me.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,142 times
Quote:
Where did the Waterbed go? There was a time when just about everyone had a waterbed...then they just disappeared. Does anyone know why they became unpopular? Did increased water prices turn the American consumer away from the Waterbed or what? Do stores still sell the things? Have any of you ever owned a Waterbed or knew anyone who did? If so, can you tell the good, bad, or ugly about them.

We had a waterbed for many years. It was a lifesaver when I was pregnant. I loved it! Ours was a full wave. Warm and comfy!

Last edited by MamaDawn; 01-04-2012 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: adding text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products