Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Where did the Waterbed go?
It went to the same place my "Mullet" from the 80s went...into the trash.

With memory foam and latex mattresses, the waterbed is no longer attractive (i.e. like a mullet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 PM

253 posts, read 805,382 times
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
It went to the same place my "Mullet" from the 80s went...into the trash.

With memory foam and latex mattresses, the waterbed is no longer attractive (i.e. like a mullet).
i hope the memory foam never goes out of style, i cant sleep without mine....lol
am seriously wondering now, is there waterbed stores still around, not that i want one, but i recall how they used to be all over and in the malls, are they extinct now?? i cant even recall when is the last time ive even seen a waterbed used in classifieds. maybe i can still go see one at some wierd art event...right next to the green shag carpet and yellow countertops, and blue toilets, omg...what where people thinkenlol

Old 04-02-2009, 09:43 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
The problem I had with waterbed is the fact I use to drink alot when they popular. Trying to sleep on one while you are drunk is not a great idea

Old 04-04-2009, 04:07 PM

267 posts, read 1,175,767 times
We used to have one. Then we moved into a high rise, and they wouldn't let us use it on the 10th floor. Tossed it. I never liked it that much even when we had it, so nbd.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 PM

38 posts, read 283,151 times
Default In love with my waterbed

I still have a full-floating king size that I sleep in all by myself. It's wonderful! So comfy for my deteriorating back, that I hope I never have to do without it. Sleeping on a regular bed when I travel is just about the most painful experience I can think of. Getting out of it isn't such a problem if you roll out face-down with a leg out first...sitting up on the edge of the bed would be very difficult. I don't heat mine anymore; the coolness is just right in the summer, and in the winter I put a foam pad on top to insulate it (South Texas winters aren't much of a problem). I wouldn't mind changing the frame style, but they're getting very expensive, so it's probably a D.I.Y. wood shop project.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:12 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times
people got sea sick a lot. the most dreamy bed i've ever slept on was a pillowtop with the water balloons inside. that sleep was the most celestial ever. no sloshing around but the most amazing soft comfort and support and so cooling on the body. just gently supported and slightly swayed like a baby. wow

Old 04-20-2009, 12:53 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
I've never been in a waterbed, but all of the apartment leases that I've ever signed have some sort of clause about NO Waterbeds.

Can you imagine how much damage that would do if it sprung a leak?? Especially on a high-up floor...eesh.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Funny, but true. I used to have a SOMMA mattress that was like a waterbed INSIDE a regular bed, it was pretty damn cozy. But I was young. With my 40 yr old back, I need my nice ortho mattress!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
people got sea sick a lot. the most dreamy bed i've ever slept on was a pillowtop with the water balloons inside. that sleep was the most celestial ever. no sloshing around but the most amazing soft comfort and support and so cooling on the body. just gently supported and slightly swayed like a baby. wow
That's the one I had, I loved that one.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,925 times
Default I miss my waterbed!

I'm laughing my butt off about the 'lost' items in the waterbeds!
I got my first and only waterbed in '93, and kept it until '05. I had a California King full motion mattress with the captain’s drawers underneath, and a headboard with a mirror in the middle and cupboards on the sides. I could always find a comfortable position on it, and I kept a small bean bag and extra pillows on it so I could prop myself (or a just leg or arm) up. It was always warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I kept a lot of stuff on the top of the headboard, and I could stow those things I didn't want anyone else to see in the cupboards. The ONLY reason I got rid of it was because I moved and my bed was as big as my new bedroom! (I should never have moved into a place that small to begin with!)
I haven't had a decent nights sleep in my new bed(s) since. I have 3 discs in my back that disintegrated in the early 90's, and I cannot sleep on my back at all. That and a lot of other ailments keep me in bed most of time, and I even work from bed in my pajamas. (I LOVE MY JOB! ) So a comfortable mattress is a high priority for me, and waterbeds are the best I've found.
A regular mattress just can't compare to a waterbed.
(As for doing ‘The Wild Thing’, it could be a pain because you had to figure in the motions so that you weren’t fighting the bed-but if you got you’re timing right it was actually a help! And it wasn’t waves crashing; it was more like ‘smack’ and slosh...
The only time I ever had a problem was when my ferret chewed a corner of the bed. I have had anywhere from 4 to 12 cats, and even my senior citizens who have to pull themselves up with their claws never put a leak in it. They left hundreds of marks on the rails, but hey-they're worth it. I only had to wrangle with the frame when moving, and it only took me about 20 minutes to put it together or take it apart.
I've had 4 mattress sets since I got rid of my waterbed, and they all sucked!. I've tried different firmnesses, even the pillowtops and airbeds. (I can't afford the foam or sleep number air beds) My waterbed conformed to my body without any pressure points, and the regular mattresses don't conform at all. The airbed was decent, but I couldn't regulate the temperature on it... I wake up everyday with my back aching and muscles in spasms, and that's an awful way to start the day...
So anyway, I'm currently looking for a new full sized, full motion bed with the captain's drawers, but I'm not having much luck. I can't pay outrageous shipping prices to order online, so I'm stuck with what's available in Las Vegas, and the pickings are very slim. All the local ads from individuals are for the CA king beds, and I still don't have room for a bed that big (although it is bigger than the box I had before...).
For the person that wanted to know about the comfort for people with back problems, I'd say go for the waterbed. They have them with or without baffles, and you can generally adjust the firmness by the amount of water in the bed.
But that's just my opinion, there's no way to tell without trying them out. They should let you lay on the bed in the showroom, but you'll have to stay there for about 15 minutes to get a half decent idea...

Happy Trails,
Molly

Last edited by MollyMcFixit; 05-20-2009 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Font was showing in print
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products