U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:59 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,460,337 times

Advertisements

Where did the Waterbed go? There was a time when just about everyone had a waterbed...then they just disappeared. Does anyone know why they became unpopular? Did increased water prices turn the American consumer away from the Waterbed or what? Do stores still sell the things? Have any of you ever owned a Waterbed or knew anyone who did? If so, can you tell the good, bad, or ugly about them.

I thought they were pretty good beds, especially for...doing the Wild Thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:07 PM

5,775 posts, read 12,437,073 times
I have only been on a waterbed once and it was all about the wild thing you sickie you! ! I don't believe the price of water led to their decline, though. More likely it was the maintenance factors and sheer inconveniences associated with them that did them in. In many climates they needed to be heated or else they were unbearably cold. The bladder had to be emptied (haha!) in order to move the bed. At least you didn't have to rearrange the furniture very often. People had to be ever-so-cautious not to sit on one with a screwdriver or utility knife in their back pocket. I guess cats and dogs claimed a few of these too. Leaks may have been their biggest downfall. When they leaked - they leaked! And things got destroyed; Like carpeting and anything on the main floor of the house if the bedroom was upstairs. Many homes in which they were installed were not designed to handle the weight of a SUV in the middle of the bedroom floor which created structural issues. They looked cool with lava lamps though...and yes - great for the wild thing!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:11 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,073,192 times
had one...hated it. Have the Select Comfort air bed now and all is well in jammerland http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n231/jammer_this/smilies/signmelikey.gif (broken link)

Old 08-18-2007, 09:11 PM

25,691 posts, read 24,531,561 times
Didnt that 'fad' fade out back in like, the eary 80's? I had one waaaay back in the 70's but it was the most uncomfortable bed, arrrgh.
Gimme king size pillow top. As long as all my stuffed animals are happy, Im happy.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:16 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,858,793 times
I had a waterbed for a few years of our marriage.
It brings back bitter memories because I had a beautiful bedroom set with a high poster bed and then we decided to get a waterbed. Well, we did get a fame to match the finish of our set and the high poster bed went up in the attic. Then friends of ours bought a house and asked if they could buy our bed. Well, stupid us sold it to them. I have been married 25 years, still have the beautiflu set, but NO BED!! Just mattress on a frame. I miss that bed so much.
As for the waterbed....there are 'baffles' inside the bed so that you are just not sleeping on water. Well, the baffles are not supposed to move but ours floated all around. Yes, it was nice and warm in the winter. I was pregnant while owning that bed and it was a nightmare getting out of with a big belly. We really got very tired of it after a few years. It is a big pain in the neck to change the sheets. It weighs about a gazillion pounds. We never did have a leak thank goodness.
I miss my poster bed!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 PM

21,795 posts, read 30,583,437 times
We have a waterbed, it's ok, my husband says it helps his back, sometimes I wish we had a real bed.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 PM

25,691 posts, read 24,531,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I had a waterbed for a few years of our marriage.
It brings back bitter memories because I had a beautiful bedroom set with a high poster bed and then we decided to get a waterbed. Well, we did get a fame to match the finish of our set and the high poster bed went up in the attic. Then friends of ours bought a house and asked if they could buy our bed. Well, stupid us sold it to them. I have been married 25 years, still have the beautiflu set, but NO BED!! Just mattress on a frame. I miss that bed so much.
As for the waterbed....there are 'baffles' inside the bed so that you are just not sleeping on water. Well, the baffles are not supposed to move but ours floated all around. Yes, it was nice and warm in the winter. I was pregnant while owning that bed and it was a nightmare getting out of with a big belly. We really got very tired of it after a few years. It is a big pain in the neck to change the sheets. It weighs about a gazillion pounds. We never did have a leak thank goodness.
I miss my poster bed!!!!!!

Ive seen beds that used to be waterbed and people have put mattresses instead. Not bad, really, pretty creative, with the right bedding to go with.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,218,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We have a waterbed, it's ok, my husband says it helps his back, sometimes I wish we had a real bed.
Our story is the opposite, we had a waterbed for probably about 10 or 11 years then had to switch to a regular bed because of the husband's back. I miss that bed, I loved getting into a warm bed

Old 08-18-2007, 10:38 PM

21,795 posts, read 30,583,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
Our story is the opposite, we had a waterbed for probably about 10 or 11 years then had to switch to a regular bed because of the husband's back. I miss that bed, I loved getting into a warm bed
Yea, I do like that you can make it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. And the mattress's have really improved. I LOVE PA is right changing the sheets is HARD.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,954,387 times
I had a water bed as well. Actually two. We first got a queen as we could not afford a king. After building our house, we put the queen in the spare bedroom and got a king... Ours was like a regular mattress with regular sheets. The water bladder fit into the shell of the mattress that zipped up.

I did so love that bed, but in 2000 got pillow top. Why? I had surgery and could not get in and out of the bed. We had had it since 1984.

Was so used to the warm heat coming from the bed that we froze in our new bed, so, had to order a heated mattress pad. I now love my mattress set, but there is nothing like snuggling down in the water bed when it is cold outside, unless the power is off, then we froze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products