U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,663,888 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new mattress........Charles Bridge King by Stearns and Foster. It is a pillow top and was over $2,200. My husband started to complain a couple of weeks ago saying that he felt the mattress was starting to dip. We had put up with the problem with our old mattress for several years. Now with only having this one for a little over a month, we can see a slight concave on both sides. We are average size.....not too overweight. Is this normal with a pillow top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 PM

28,507 posts, read 21,629,733 times
Yes most of today's products are poorly made and pricey. We went through 6 mattresses in 5 years until I talked to a local matress manufacturer and he said the main thing to look for is the coil count. Anything under 850 coils on a queen size is weak. We got one with 950 coils and it sure made a difference. And he said the more expensive mattresses are no better than the cheaper ones, it's the firmness of the coil count that matters. We actually Googled this situation and found what he was saying was true.
And when we had those slumping ones, it was a joke to get the manufacturer honor the warranty. They always had an excuse, especially the excuse that it's not sunk in far enough for a warranty exchange.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM

11,753 posts, read 27,321,510 times
We switched from store bought mattresses to block foam with a topper mattress pad. Everyone is different, so if you want to continue paying a premium, go ahead. A 7" thick block of medium density foam makes a nice mattress for us that we can easily flip or move. The previous (king) mattress we had was nearly impossible to flip properly. We paid a LOT less, and it has lasted a LOT longer. Sorry I didn't think of it years ago. The mattress pad or topper is key to making the foam feel normal. A lot of folks don't like sleeping directly on foam.

If your mattress is breaking down after a month, you may have some sort of consumer law on your side. Check around.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 PM

4,786 posts, read 6,297,931 times
Did you call the store or Sterns and Forster? That shouldn't be happening after one month. Also..remember to turn and rotate your mattress for a even wear

Old 11-06-2011, 05:48 PM

1,272 posts, read 3,619,809 times
Yeah, def call the store as soon as you can. It is too new for problems.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 15,986 times
I have been through 2 sertas, and 1 sealy, in less than a year. I have the same problem with every one of them, they all sag within the first month... I already had the store replace the two sertas, and I am afraid to call again.. My new sealy was sagging with a hill in the middle after two weeks. I really don't know what I should do. Maybe all king size mattresses do the same. What happend to flip mattresses?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM

2,861 posts, read 4,013,962 times
Did you buy a new mattress AND box springs/foundation? A new mattress on an old foundation will still usually sag, since that is where the problems usually start.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM

21,591 posts, read 23,714,857 times
Firm mattresses hold usually better than soft and in most cases is better for the body.
In Consumer Report tests, a higher coil count or firmer mattress didn't necessairly reduce sagging.
Info about ratings: Mattress Reviews | Best Mattress Brands at ConsumerSearch
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,985,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Yes most of today's products are poorly made and pricey. We went through 6 mattresses in 5 years until I talked to a local matress manufacturer and he said the main thing to look for is the coil count. Anything under 850 coils on a queen size is weak. We got one with 950 coils and it sure made a difference. And he said the more expensive mattresses are no better than the cheaper ones, it's the firmness of the coil count that matters. We actually Googled this situation and found what he was saying was true.
And when we had those slumping ones, it was a joke to get the manufacturer honor the warranty. They always had an excuse, especially the excuse that it's not sunk in far enough for a warranty exchange.
Coil count is really not the most important thing, as you can have 2000 coils, but if they are made from coat hanger wire.....the most important thing is the gauge of the wire, the lower the better.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,985,044 times
OP, a body impression of 2" is allowable for a pillowtop by S&F standards.
I sold them for years, and heard this constantly from the reps.
Call your store and have them schedule a service appt for you, S&F is a good product with a good warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products