Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:41 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times

Advertisements

I'm always You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 01:57 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,843 times
Fast food stores have been doing that for practically forever especially during queueing hours. Non-issue. You don't have to give them your real name if you don't want to.

I never once gave Rat Shack my real information. I usually gave them the address of the defunct movie theatre I used to hang out at (demolished), some random-ass name I came up with on the fly and the number of a test line on VANCWA01DS0. If they want to data mine somebody, they can do it to Johannes Q. Kleizenheimmerschmidt who lives at a car park off Mill Plain and answers with a miliwatt tone.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
I would give a fake name. Too many places these days want all kinds of information about their customers. I don't remember fast food places asking for names ten or twenty years ago.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:43 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Why would any adult consider their first name a security issue? That's where this started, giving a first name at a fast food restaurant in order to keep service straight. All of other issues about giving full name, address, phone number etc. (either at all, or where it might be overheard in public)... sure. I agree for many reasons with security being only one of them.

But... can anyone devise a credible scenario where a woman giving her first name to a cashier at Wendy's results in a personal security problem?

That seems to be a "stranger danger" issue for children, at most, and not for adults.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
I use the alias name Sal Monella frequently.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:41 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Fast food stores have been doing that for practically forever especially during queueing hours. Non-issue. You don't have to give them your real name if you don't want to.

I never once gave Rat Shack my real information. I usually gave them the address of the defunct movie theatre I used to hang out at (demolished), some random-ass name I came up with on the fly and the number of a test line on VANCWA01DS0. If they want to data mine somebody, they can do it to Johannes Q. Kleizenheimmerschmidt who lives at a car park off Mill Plain and answers with a miliwatt tone.
I was just going to mention Radio Shack too. They had to fill out a form and wanted name, address and phone number just to buy a pack of batteries!

Starbucks has been doing this for a long time. I don’t think a first name is a big deal. It doesn’t seem any worse than having a restaurant announce “John Smith, your table is ready”.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I was just going to mention Radio Shack too. They had to fill out a form and wanted name, address and phone number just to buy a pack of batteries!
They were among the first to try and jackhammer personal/tracking info out of customers and became legendary for it. It didn't take long before a simple "No" produced no further argument.

The process has become universal through making it far more subtle and presenting it as a boon to the customer. In 1980, they were just being... what Radio Shack always was, a crude and half-arsed company run by self-absorbed Texas idiots.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:50 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I am enjoying reading this (have not read ALL the posts yet) - it never really offended me.
I know some people who either have hard to pronounce or spell names, and frequently just give a random name. It's almost amusing. That is what I would do and probably will start to do. This is even for waiting (not quite a reservation) at restaurants. I am fond of Lulu and Mary Smith for starters.
Come to think of it, how about Salmonella party of 3.
Well the posts are from 2011 so....

Old 12-29-2018, 08:38 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,254,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
OK. This is a bit much. I posted before about being asked for my name to try on at The Gap, with my name being scrawled publicly on the fitting room door.

Today, I went inside to order at Arby's, usually use the drive-thru. When I was done giving my order, the clerk asked for my name. I was surprised, hesitated, and just gave a made up name. There were people around me listening.

Not only was I asked for my name, but my name appeared in what had to be a 48 point font on the register screen on the side visible to the cutomer(s). What the heck? Is there NO privacy anywhere? My name also appeared on the receipt. No, I'm not in the Witness Protection program or anything, but MUST the retailers get so personal???????
It helps them get your order right. Arby’s needs all the help it can get in that department, as do most fast food places. Just throw a name at them, but remember it when they call it!

Old 01-24-2019, 12:16 PM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is not a paranoia thing, it is a safety thing; especially, for women. Why the need to make a personal attack against someone who is situationally aware?
In this context, it's paranoia. As was explained, it's about getting the order to the right person.

From a marketing/cs perspective, it's more personal than "you're number 881 have a nice day" and results in higher customer satisfaction.

If you have genuine concerns, use a fake name. I typically use "Felix," but I do it because I have a common name, and it doesn't matter what name I use - it's equivalent to assigning an arbitrary number to my order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products