U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,269,990 times
Default Now Being Asked For Name at Fast Food Place

OK. This is a bit much. I posted before about being asked for my name to try on at The Gap, with my name being scrawled publicly on the fitting room door.

Today, I went inside to order at Arby's, usually use the drive-thru. When I was done giving my order, the clerk asked for my name. I was surprised, hesitated, and just gave a made up name. There were people around me listening.

Not only was I asked for my name, but my name appeared in what had to be a 48 point font on the register screen on the side visible to the cutomer(s). What the heck? Is there NO privacy anywhere? My name also appeared on the receipt. No, I'm not in the Witness Protection program or anything, but MUST the retailers get so personal???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 PM

5,811 posts, read 4,421,861 times
It's probably to avoid giving the wrong order to the wrong person. Just keep giving them your alias.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 PM

13,409 posts, read 9,003,724 times
Paranoid much?

Old 11-04-2011, 05:08 PM

26,655 posts, read 18,645,560 times
Not only Arby's but several others ask for your first name too. It's to identify getting the order to the right person. I always give an alias, they don't care.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:12 PM

5,502 posts, read 3,816,690 times
Agree! Been asked for name, telephone no., zip code, address etc.

I make up something and enjoy doing so too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
OK. This is a bit much. I posted before about being asked for my name to try on at The Gap, with my name being scrawled publicly on the fitting room door.

Today, I went inside to order at Arby's, usually use the drive-thru. When I was done giving my order, the clerk asked for my name. I was surprised, hesitated, and just gave a made up name. There were people around me listening.

Not only was I asked for my name, but my name appeared in what had to be a 48 point font on the register screen on the side visible to the cutomer(s). What the heck? Is there NO privacy anywhere? My name also appeared on the receipt. No, I'm not in the Witness Protection program or anything, but MUST the retailers get so personal???????

Old 11-04-2011, 05:12 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,697,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Not only Arby's but several others ask for your first name too. It's to identify getting the order to the right person. I always give an alias, they don't care.
Exactly. Not only do they not care, they do not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Paranoid much?
It is not a paranoia thing, it is a safety thing; especially, for women. Why the need to make a personal attack against someone who is situationally aware?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Exactly. Not only do they not care, they do not know.

It is not a paranoia thing, it is a safety thing; especially, for women. Why the need to make a personal attack against someone who is situationally aware?
You're right about that. The last thing I want is to be "known" by a stranger. In this day of immediate access to just about anything personal...

"Why the need to make a personal attack against someone who is situationally aware?" Yeah, my husband has drilled into me the need to be continually aware of my surroundings, situations, and the people around me .

Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,697,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
You're right about that. The last thing I want is to be "known" by a stranger. In this day of immediate access to just about anything personal...

"Why the need to make a personal attack against someone who is situationally aware?" Yeah, my husband has drilled into me the need to be continually aware of my surroundings, situations, and the people around me .
Good for him and good for you. I wish more people would be careful and guard their personal information. I worry about the millenials who seem to have no concept of personal privacy having lived only in the digital age with Facebook and the like.

I also do not give out my phone number to cashiers when asked for a return or to ring something up. There is no need for them to have it and there is no need to announce it in public where anyone can hear it and use it to trace me back to my home address.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 PM

11,109 posts, read 24,060,493 times
You just need to keep a straight face. Mister Bates, party of one.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 PM

8,241 posts, read 9,870,811 times
Ben Dover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products