Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM

7,583 posts, read 6,051,038 times

Advertisements

And judging from the lines reportedly already formed today at Target, KMart and who cares where else, The consumers are voting with their $$. I would think that with the economy as bad as it still is, there would be fewer $ to spend, more like pennies, but when you can get cheap chinese made junk, it does everyone a favor. It provides someone with a TV for $88, provides profit to the store andthe chinese state run factory, and next year, when that same TV no longer works, they can come back and wait in line anouther day to get another one. Not only demand, but by selling this off brand garbage, they are keeping a supply for those who have nothing better to do than to stand in line all day.

Lots of BAA!ing going on......
This game I am watching is turning out to be pretty good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,268,062 times
I know.

People don't realize too that alot of the electronics stsuff that goes on sale on Black Thursday-Friday are second rate junk. Look at the model #'s of the stuff. It's usually 1 or 2 digits/letters off of the ones they carry year round (or completely "new" models that are specifically made with garbage in mind). That's because they "base" the 2-day model on a good TV, then start scrimping on features or (most often) quality of the parts.

Baaaa!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:22 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Locally there are young people who havebeen camping out since yesterday at some stores .Saw the inteviewed and seems like they wre having fun amoung themeslves. Never heard of any of the crazyiness so often published at other locations at local stores. If peope want them closed then perhaps they need to seek laws such as the old blue laws.Other than that 20% work on Thanksgiving. I don't go but that is my choice.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Has anyone been assigned 16 hour shifts for black friday ( or heard of it)?
I can't imagine. NObody at any Walmart is scheduled more than 8 hours on ANY day of the year. I just got home from working all day and it was nuts early in the day. By 11:00, or noon, it had slowed down a LOT but people were still coming in to shop when I left at 4:00. People kept saying "Sorry you have to work today" but I guess it doesn't enter their minds that if THEY didn't shop on holidays maybe we wouldn't have to work. Ah well. I work whatever I'm scheduled. Some people actually have the whole day off. I did, last year.

We get time and a half for today PLUS a HUGE Thanksgiving Day dinner in the employee lounge. I was surprised how few employees worked the day shift though. We did have all five express registers open, all the self checks and three or four regular registers. So that's about 11 cashiers. A few CSMs and two customer service people. No lines anywhere anytime. Lots of setting up for tonight though so there were employees all over the store. The rest will start filtering in around 6 PM and work till 2 AM and some later. I go back at 5 AM tomorrow just in time for some big sale.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 PM

563 posts, read 1,268,062 times
I've done the 16 hr shift through a Thanksgiving in retail (3 yrs in a row), though I will admit I was salary at that point in a store that was mismanaged to hell and the company's policy regarding it's salaried managers were not followed in that store.

Out of all the retail establishments feeling the need to be open today, I feel KMart/Sears made the best of the situation. I read a story online about how Sears came out saying they were making all of thier seasonal workers man the store on Black Thursday to allow their permanent employees the full day off. I think that, if they have to be open on Thanksgiving, this is the ideal way to do it.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well, it appears that the stores are opening at 8PM. Employees and shoppers will be able to have their traditional Thanksgiving feast and still have plenty of time to spend with their families before heading out for the retail festivities (for the lack of a better term).
The employees can't show up at the same time as the customers. They also have to prepare and commute to the job site.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
The employees can't show up at the same time as the customers. They also have to prepare and commute to the job site.
I got that. Even if they have to show up at 5PM (3 hours before stores open), they have plenty of time to have their Thanksgiving meal.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:26 AM

802 posts, read 1,677,964 times
Just got back from my shift (8pm to 4am). It was nuts and for some reason, I'm not even tired.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Just got back from my shift (8pm to 4am). It was nuts and for some reason, I'm not even tired.
I'm getting ready to leave for mine! I'm working 5 AM to 1 PM. Sounds like you got your 'second wind'. lol I had a heck of a time getting to sleep last night, having to get up so early, but I managed to get five hours. I'll be ready for sleep tonight! Don't go in till 10:30 tomorrow and it's a short four hour day. Yay!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM

24,374 posts, read 25,884,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
I know.

People don't realize too that alot of the electronics stsuff that goes on sale on Black Thursday-Friday are second rate junk. Look at the model #'s of the stuff. It's usually 1 or 2 digits/letters off of the ones they carry year round (or completely "new" models that are specifically made with garbage in mind). That's because they "base" the 2-day model on a good TV, then start scrimping on features or (most often) quality of the parts.

Baaaa!
Don't know about that. I have scanned bar codes at big box stores and compared them scanned bar codes at mom and pop, and smaller retailers and the numbers are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products