U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:06 AM

788 posts, read 3,793,015 times

Advertisements

I did it! I signed up with Ebay and placed 3 items up for auction. It wasn't difficult, but pretty time consuming. I'll keep you posted on how it all works out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 01:36 PM

420 posts, read 1,162,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I did it! I signed up with Ebay and placed 3 items up for auction. It wasn't difficult, but pretty time consuming. I'll keep you posted on how it all works out...
Good for you! You got a rep point, too! Please do let us know. I am afraid to do it myself but if you have a good experience---well, just maybe I will try it.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:40 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,782,762 times
I actually love selling on EBAY, kind of like therapy for me, as CD.com is also.... I actually love picking up items for little to nothing in consignment shops, knowing they will sell for much more on EBAY. I usually start everything at $1.99 and then enjoy watching the auction evolve. I am strictly childrens clothing though...... Jeannie

Old 09-15-2007, 07:11 PM

So far, I have sold 3 items on ebay, and I am happy with the process and the results. Once you're all signed up, it doesn't take much effort or time.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:31 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,857,444 times
My 15 yr old daughter figured it out on her own and sold something. I would like to get into selling more stuff,especially when you see whats on there and what people are paying for it!! Hey, don't ask how but I stumbled on a big money making item that apparently is in great demand....used grungy women's shoes. There was a pair of $2.50 Old Navy flip flops selling for over $40. because they were well worn.....with about 20 pictures....very weird!!!!!
I do spend way too much time on e-bay. It has gotten to the point that when I want something, I look on e-bay first. My daughter snowboards and has a lot of 'Burton' clothes. They change their line every year, so the only way to add to what I have already bought for her in the last 2 yrs is to hunt for it on E-Bay. My daughter also likes to look for name brand sweat shirts at much cheaper prices than in the store. I also love looking at antique jewelry, although a lot is reproductions. Just bought a comforter set on clearance at a local store and couldn't find the curtains to match...E-Bay came to the rescue! Also bought costume earings to match every one of my summer shirts sitting right here in front of my computer!
It's almost as addicitve as CD!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:46 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,526,757 times
Ive bought and sold on Ebay itself, but never at an Ebay store.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Ive bought and sold on Ebay itself, but never at an Ebay store.
I decided against going to the ebay store after reading people's responses here, and I am glad I did. The stores take approx. 35% of the profit. Once you do it a couple of times on your own, it isn't difficult or that time consuming.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 AM

2,833 posts, read 9,857,444 times
Our local library also does this as a service, keeping a percentage of the sales to go otwards the debt acquired to build their brand new building. So, it's a donation that also eliminates the hassle of doing it on your own.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 PM

329 posts, read 1,341,622 times
My experience with selling on E-Bay has been mixed. It was much easier than I first anticipated. So, please don't use one of those stores and cut into your profits. E-Bay itself takes enough from the sellers by way of fees. Listing is easy, upload a picture, write a simple description and wait for auction. Shipping to me was the biggest drag. Packaging (especially fragile stuff) is time consuming and all the trips to the post office, (after all the buyers expect their goods quickly) a nuisance. I realized that to sell a bunch of little stuff is not worth it. But when I had some big dollar items it was well worth it. I had some vintage items that I got top $$ for, as well. Also, clothing with tags is good, (that would be NWT in e-bay lingo, lol). Anyway, I hope this helps anyone considering it. I think just for the experience, try it. I think for stay at home moms you could really do well if you wanted to. With the holidays coming you can easily pick up a few $$$ at the very least.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,687 times
Default What these nay sayers are not telling you

If you do have a valuable item that is unique, odd or offbeat, it might pay to have an eBay consignment store sell it for you.

There are several costs involved in setting up an account with eBay. I've actually been on eBay. If your item is not highly valued or different, it becomes buried under a pile of similar auctions so that nobody knows the difference between you and your competition. No guidance is given to you
until you have a problem. The eBay help attendants do not know how to handle complicated or out of the ordinary problems and are supervised by people who tell them to tell you to keep it simple and not to give out information to you readily. Then when your business has failed, eBay goes after your credit because of charges they had no business charging in the first place.

I'm not saying that eBay is a scam necessarily. That is a semantic word. It seems that anything becomes a scam when you let it master you rather than you mastering it.

If in the scheme of things an eBay consignment store is the component that makes your relationship with eBay viable and takes the trouble out of it for you, then it may actually be a good idea as opposed to the nonsense that all these other people are telling you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products