U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 PM

788 posts, read 3,039,465 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there used one of these "stores"? For a fee, they handle eveything involved with selling your items on Ebay--presentation, write up, pics, packaging, mailing, etc. I don't have the time or interest to do it myself, so I am thinking of doing this. Anyone have any experience with this kind of service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 12:05 PM

3,403 posts, read 9,279,879 times
It takes no effort to sell stuff on Ebay. . . these stores make little to no money because the only profit gained is when they actually "sell" something for you. If you would just have thrown it away, better to throw it away, than pay someone else to get rid of it for you IMO. If you have time to post on CD, you have time to start an add on Ebay. I think the only benefits to having other people do this for you, is if you possibly have a phobia against getting to know your local Fed Ex Kinko's staff that you'd best be shipping stuff through

Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 PM

16,480 posts, read 11,831,147 times
This is my opinion. Unless you have items that would sell for a fair amount of money I wouldn't bother, and even then you'd make more money selling them yourself. It costs just to sell on Ebay, whether you sell or not so I imagine you would make little money on cheaper things. I sell on Ebay and it isn't that it is hard, but it is time consuming. You need to have a digital camera, be able to transfer photos and make them loadable to their site. You have to investigate others selling similar items and see if it is even worth selling or at the least what you should ask. You need to do a write-up on the item, with measurments, condition, lots of stuff. It is very time consuming and that doesn't even take into consideration answering email questions from potential buyers and then packaging up and shipping the items. If you think your items are worth selling try to do it yourself if you can. If these are cheaper houshold type things, either have a yard sale, give them away, throw them away or donate them to Goodwill etc.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
This is my opinion. Unless you have items that would sell for a fair amount of money I wouldn't bother, and even then you'd make more money selling them yourself. It costs just to sell on Ebay, whether you sell or not so I imagine you would make little money on cheaper things. I sell on Ebay and it isn't that it is hard, but it is time consuming. You need to have a digital camera, be able to transfer photos and make them loadable to their site. You have to investigate others selling similar items and see if it is even worth selling or at the least what you should ask. You need to do a write-up on the item, with measurments, condition, lots of stuff. It is very time consuming and that doesn't even take into consideration answering email questions from potential buyers and then packaging up and shipping the items. If you think your items are worth selling try to do it yourself if you can. If these are cheaper houshold type things, either have a yard sale, give them away, throw them away or donate them to Goodwill etc.
Hi brokencrayola. Thanks for your response. I was thinking of selling a collectors "Marilyn Merlot" wine bottle. I have seen them on ebay in the $200.00 range. Would it be worth it to have the sell your stuff on ebay store do it all for me, and then I collect less, or do you think I should still just do it myself?

Old 08-28-2007, 06:07 PM

2,640 posts, read 315,764 times
I sell on eBay for myself and used to sell for other people as well. I no longer sell for others as I prefer doing it at my leisure and not mess with people.

It's a lot of fun and not hard once you get the hang of it. Depending on how well you set up your auction pages with descriptions, photos, disclaimers, etc., it can be timely. Then there's always questions from potential buyers and getting it ready for shipping when it sells. It does take dedication and effort.

If you don't have that much to sell, I think you should do it yourself. The time can be found to do that. Why pay someone when it's easy enough to do? Yes, it's easy, but can be time consuming.

I've had some really good sales over the years such as a $.25 scarf I bought at a thrift store that sold for $102.50, a pair of WWII paratrooper boots for $3.50 that sold for over $400.00, etc. Not all sales are that great, but I've had many that were.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 PM

I would try to sell it yourself. An Ebay Store will not only charge you the Ebay fee, maybe even a fee for their work plus take a percentage of the selling price, and there is no guarantee it will even sell.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 24,408,950 times
No experience, but IMO, not worthwhile. For most stuff you get very little on ebay, and to share what little you get with someone else makes this even less attractive. The time you spend traveling to and dealing with a 'store' is equal to or greater than the time to do it yourself. If it's truly valuable, why share a percentage with someone.

Only way I'd use a 'store' was if I wanted to hide, or had no credit card or bank account to get ebay & paypal accounts.

If the stuff is low value, my experience with ebay is that it doesn't pay to even bother, just donate it to Goodwill or Salvation Army and take a tax break for the value of it. If it isn't worth donating, just try to give it away on your local FreeCycle yahoo list. See The Freecycle Network for the list that works in your area. FreeCycle is designed to keep things out of landfills by offering them up to your community via use of free yahoo email lists.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:55 AM

Thanks for all of the great responses! I am an Ebay virgin, so it seems a bit intimidating to me. Also, I didn't realize they take such a big cut of the profits. I am somewhat computer literate though, so I am sure I can figure it out. And, as someone else mentioned, if I make time to be on city-data, then I have time to create an Ebay account. I think I will give it a shot. Any advice?

Old 08-29-2007, 06:11 PM

12,393 posts, read 14,946,513 times
I used to buy a lot of things from Ebay. In fact the past 2 xmas;s I did all my shopping there. I also found some stores where I could find quadraplegic aids and supplies for my grandson..I have not even been on ebay for about 5 months because of the ridiculous shipping charges and "handling fees" everyone suddenly thought were appropriate

Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 PM

Ebay can be a wonderful place to shop! Just make sure the seller has good feedback and know what the price the item you are bidding on would normally cost. You can actually pay more than in a store for an item by the time you pay for shipping. Be clear what the shipping cost will be. I have seen many auctions with seriously jacked up shipping costs to offset the low cost of the item itself. We live in a very rural area and only have a Wal_mart in our area and that is an hour away. All the kids at school have the same darn clothes from Wal-Mart. I buy brand new designer clothes for my kids. They don't look like clones of the other kids and have nice clothes for less than what I would pay at Wal-Mart. Can't beat that!

If you sign up for Ebay, also sign up for PayPal and get a confirmed address. Most transactions on Ebay take place through PayPal. It protects both the buyer as well as the seller if something goes wrong. It is also a very quick way to pay and get paid for an item.

Also, I use Auctiva. It is free! It is easier to make up your auctions there. They have templates to make them look good as well and it is easier to upload photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products