U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:32 AM

30,958 posts, read 17,201,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I guess I could move it to the political section. Wal-mart sells food?
The Wal-Marts around here sell food items, but we don't have the full-service grocery departments, at least that I'm aware of. I'm not sure if the ones up in Northern California do, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:49 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,952 times
Quote:
The Wal-Marts around here sell food items, but we don't have the full-service grocery departments, at least that I'm aware of. I'm not sure if the ones up in Northern California do, either.
Standard WalMarts sell limited food items.

Super WalMarts sell a full line of grocery items. It's like having a complete grocery store attached to a standard WalMart.

Wal-Mart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Wal-Mart Supercenter

Wal-Mart Supercenters are a chain of hypermarkets that range in size from 98,000 square feet (9,000 m²) to 261,000 square feet (24,000 m²) with an average size of approximately 197,000 square feet (17,000 m²).[17] They carry everything a Wal-Mart Discount Store does, as well as a full-line supermarket (including meat and poultry, baked goods, delicatessen, frozen foods, dairy products, garden produce and fresh seafood). Many Wal-Mart Supercenters also feature a garden center, a pet shop, a pharmacy, a Tire & Lube Express, optical center, one-hour photo processing lab, portrait studio, and numerous alcove shops such as a cellular phone store, hair and nail salons, a video rental store, a family fun center, a branch of a local bank, and possibly a fast food outlet. Some locations also sell gasoline, either through Murphy Oil Corporation, whose Wal-Mart stations are branded as "Murphy USA", Sunoco, Inc. as "Optima", or Tesoro Corporation, who uses the "Mirastar" banner on theirs.

The first Supercenter opened in 1988 in Washington, Missouri; a similar Wal-Mart concept, Hypermart USA, opened in Garland, Texas a year earlier, but all of those stores were later closed or converted into Supercenters. As of May 31, 2007, there were 2,326 Wal-Mart Supercenters in the United States.
While my husband was out in San Jose for 4 months, we found the only Supercenter was in Gilroy, CA and there are 17 in the area.

Out of the 8 in my area, 6 are Supercenters. I'm in NC. Liz

Old 09-04-2007, 07:31 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,993,025 times
dennismpat,

watch me NOT move the Wal-mart scam thread. LOL.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,625,552 times
For those that have been overcharged at the register...this is an issue for the department of weights and measures. They will investigate and will fine the store tons of money everytime they inspect and find products incorrectly priced. When I lived in Calfornia this was a very big deal. The company my husband worked for at the time was being prosecuted by the Da for possible fraud due to misrung items. It is not just Walmart but other companies as well.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:35 AM

475 posts, read 1,185,289 times
I DO NOT use the self checkouts anywhere, esp at Walmart.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:36 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Don't know... maybe our stores are the rare 1%. We've rarely had any problems with either of the SuperWalmarts we have (2 in the town I live in). If we ever notice anything that's overpriced, they correct it right there. If we go home and find something on the receipt, we bring it back and they refund it. Never a problem. I'm sorry all of you are going through the experiences you've had, but I've never had a problem and will continue to go there as long as their prices are competitive.

I do have a problem with morons that are using the self-check out. These are apparently the same people that can't operate a remote control, and makes me question how they even mastered the intricacies of driving. I mean it's almost physically and mentally painful to watch them go through the manual dexterity requirements of scanning an item, then dropping it into a bag. It's like trying to give a feral dog a nail clipping! Then the employee responsible for watching them has to come over and basically run it for them anyway. It's a miracle that these people can even use a toaster, probably!

Me... unless there's no one in a self checkout line and I have 10 or less items... I'm using a checker.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,640,142 times
You do have to watch the display like a hawk when checking out. Esp. at Walmart since their customer service lines are so horrendous.

The checkers can change prices, but you have to catch it BEFORE you pay. which is difficult if you cannot pay attention every second.

I myself try not to buy walmart brand products anymore. they are all made by people in third world countries making pennies per hour.

Watch the documentary "wal-mart: the high cost of low prices"
They are a pretty dirty company. Especially disturbing in that doc. were the parts where Walmart prevents the employees from unionizing and also their encouraging their employees to go on public assistance programs because they pay them so badly. (and the people working for walmart in china making pennies per hour)
Bastards! And they are putting everyone out of business!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 AM

1,888 posts, read 7,215,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I usually try to avoid the automated check-outs at Walmart for three reasons. For one I want to support labor and I realize that Walmart is try to eliminate more and more people. Secondly, they offer no benefit for scanning all my items, bagging, and the payment process. I like to shop early in the morning and it seems Walmart is providing less and less cashiers until this week there were none. The automated check-outs were the only option. The third reason is these automated units sometimes count items I didn’t buy. Today among my items were lemons and the scanner also charge me for onions of which I did not buy. I have also found items with two bar codes on them. The scanner reads both labels. I have also been charged for items I did not buy. When I bring this matter to their attention they tell me I am responsible because I scanned the items, I now limit myself to about ten items and I always check my register tape before I leave the store. If you use these automated check-outs I suggest you do the same.
Don
Or how about checking what pops up on the screen as you scan it? It'll save you some time instead of walking away and not knowing what you just paid for only having to return to the store after realizing you just short changed yourself.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,627,221 times
There used to be self checkout lanes at the Walmart in my old town. Then a few months ago they were gone overnight! We were told that there were too many dishonest people ripping them off & not scanning everything. I really missed it because I don't like standing in line. When we moved to our new town the new Supercenter here has self scanners and I was so happy! There are also self scanners at Lowe's.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:01 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,493,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
There are MANY times they have something marked for say .10cents lower on the shelf but will ring up higher at check-out.
This isn't a "scam". It's a simple matter of not having updated the shelf tag at the same time the price was updated in the database. Most states have laws against mis-marking prices, and the fines can be quite severe. I assure you, this isn't done on purpose. The store stands to lose a lot more than it gains - especially if they factor in lost sales (which they do) from customers who don't come back because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Most people ... People that I know ... I don't shop there ... I refuse to shop there.
No firsthand experience... yet you can proclaim that it's a "scam".

Quote:
Every item I bought, all three of them, I was charged twice for. That was $28.00. I was so angry.
I'm not excusing Wal*Mart if this happened as described, as it was definitely a major screw up on their part, but if I were you, I'd be angry with myself for not noticing that I was charged twice as much as I should have been at the checkout. Do you not pay any attention at all? We're not talking about a few cents here - you're just as much to blame for not catching the overcharge as they are for overcharging, IMHO. Next time, pay attention to how much you should be spending and how much you are spending and you won't have to get so worked up, as it'll be taken care of right there.

Quote:
Maybe we should even copy and paste our receipts on here.

Quote:
I am going to pay close attention to all receipts to see if Walmarts is just being singled out.
You should ALWAYS do this. Why wouldn't you?! You can't assume accuracy just because it's a big (or small) store. Companies are run by humans, and the computers managing their point of sale systems have data that was input by humans. Humans make mistakes, and it's up to YOU to spot them when they affect you in this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I think it's a case of everyone hates WalMart...
I don't! I Love Wal*Mart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Iris_3 View Post
like it or not, suppliers can't afford to not do business with wal-mart.
I make a product and I'm doing just fine without having it in a Wal*Mart.

Quote:
Then on another receipt they almost charged me twice for the same phone, but it was caught in time by the cashier.
Obviously, that cashier wasn't doing her job when she thwarted the evil corporation from intentionally double-charging you for an item. She needs to be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Walmart purchases Mainstay and Home trends, they were the same towels,same manufacturer label, but they charged higher price for one brand. This is a sin!!!!
No, this is marketing, and apparently it's pretty effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I paid with my debit card and was reconciling my bank statement about a week ago. My statement showed my Wal-Mart purchase was $35.10. However, I recorded it in my checkbook as $36.10, because that's what the receipt showed. Thankfully, I still had the receipt, so I took it out and added up all the items on my calculator. Lo and behold, it added up to $35.10, so I was overcharged by $1.00 by Wal-Mart!
Uh, no you weren't. You just said that your bank statement showed $35.10. Then you said that you added everything up and it totalled... $35.10. Explain to me how you were overcharged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
(and the people working for walmart in china making pennies per hour)
Pssttt - Wal*Mart doesn't manufacture anything... but don't tell anyone - it's a secret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
And they are putting everyone out of business!
No they're not. Failure to compete in a free market is what drives their competitors out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products