Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:50 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

Advertisements

The Wal-Marts around here sell food items, but we don't have the full-service grocery departments, at least that I'm aware of. I'm not sure if the ones up in Northern California do, either.

Our Walmarts on Long Island do not have this either. Maybe they only have them in the mid-west or down south. I have never even seen one of these. I have heard that there are Super Targets , also. That I would like.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
The Wal-Marts around here sell food items, but we don't have the full-service grocery departments, at least that I'm aware of. I'm not sure if the ones up in Northern California do, either.

Our Walmarts on Long Island do not have this either. Maybe they only have them in the mid-west or down south. I have never even seen one of these. I have heard that there are Super Targets , also. That I would like.
They only have them in certain states - I don't recall the reason. IIRC, there's legal or other administrative reasons (not market driven). We have them here in Nevada, though. I didn't frequent Wal*Mart when I lived in California, but the one store I did go to a few times was just a regular Wal*Mart.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:40 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Bravo Swagger.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Wal-mart is not the only one that has these problems ;in fact I find local gocery stores have this problem more often than chain stores. I always watch and check my recipt before leaving the store.Don';t ven get me strated on waiters and restaurant cashiers.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
I use the self checkout scanners in Walmarts all the time. I travel a lot so I have used them in Virginia, North Carolina, Alabama, Colorado, Tennesse, Texas, Utah, Nevada, California, Pennsylvania, Alaska and Maryland. I have been to more than one or two Walmarts, so this is not a limited experience speaking.

I have never had an item ring two line entries at one time. I have never had a price scanning error that could not be fixed at the register. I have gotten free items, but not recently. I seldom see overcharges of $0.10.....ususally I only see sale items not ringing up or clearance items ringing original price. Sometimes I find items not in the computer and thus no price. These are always fixed quickly.

I have no problem buying walmart items because everyone is also selling the same items from that chinese factory. I do not want to have the demise of a factory in China on my conscience and the fact that that little child did not get his $0.35 and could not buy food that week. It does not bother me that he does not earn $10.75 an hour because he does not pay $4.85 for a gallon of milk (assuming they carry it at his local store at all)

I like the scanners because I can scan more quickly and accurately than the poorly trained checkers can, even with the automated "Please remove the last item from the bag" messages when I move a bit too fast.

I am not sure why some people here have so many problems ringing up their items or dealing with cashiers when scanning problems happen. I suspect that it may be the same problem my wife had the first few years we were married. Once she left her should chip at home, things worked much better for her. Her trouble was that she did not even realize what a lousy attitude she carried into the store with her. She only started looking at her own part of the interplay when my daughter asked her why she was mad at the grocery store lady before she even got to the register. Her shopping trips are much more pleasant for everyone now, including her.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
I don't have problems at the self checkout either, and if the price scanned is not what is on the shelf all you have to do is tell the checker and they will correct it. They also price match so that I don't have to waste my $4 a gallon gas running all over town to get what I need at a good price.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:00 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
They have automatic checkouts at the Walmarts in N NJ (maybe not all but some) and I've seen them in Home Depot as well.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 PM

133 posts, read 498,241 times
they only time an item has rang up twice for me was when I held it over the scanner for too long - my fault, not theirs. I've been to several Super Walmart's and I've never had a problem with anything. More problems arise (in my experiences) in the smaller stores because not everything may exist in a database. If the gas station clerk has to memorize the prices of everything, they are bound to make a mistake. I always watch my receipts from any store, but I've never had a problem that wasn't self-induced at Walmart.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:02 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Excellent post Swagger.
Sometimes, when I see these types of threads, I seriously think I should go into business selling tinfoil hats.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Any time that an item is not priced the same at checkout that it is on the shelf, it needs to be reported to the state. They have people who go to these stores and do checks and if too many items are priced wrong, they will close the store down. It has been done. You should not feel obligated to tell the store first either, because it is their job to keep these prices right.

I have seen my husband tell the manager, no this item is ___ because it says so on the shelf. If the item number on the shelf is the same as the item number you got, they have to by law sell the item by the shelf advertised price. They may not be able to change the price in the computer, but they can change the price on the shelf--after they give you the item at the price the shelf says. I think a lot of stores are playing this little price game. Don't let them get away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products