U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM

233 posts, read 538,749 times

Advertisements

So I bought an overhead microwave from Sears which they delivered 2 days ago. With the referral of a friend, I asked his friend who is supposed to be a contractor to hook up the overhead microwave. Long story short, he drilled a small hole at the top of the microwave and I now want to return the microwave and get an exchange. I don't have a warranty on the microwave, what can I tell Sears to get a new microwave?

A friend told me to tell Sears that I received the microwave like that. But I don't know if that will work.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,479,393 times
Seriously... your friends screws up your MW and you want Sears to replace it?

Get the person who broke it to replace it... and have someone qualified install your future appliance.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
So I bought an overhead microwave from Sears which they delivered 2 days ago. With the referral of a friend, I asked his friend who is supposed to be a contractor to hook up the overhead microwave. Long story short, he drilled a small hole at the top of the microwave and I now want to return the microwave and get an exchange. I don't have a warranty on the microwave, what can I tell Sears to get a new microwave?

A friend told me to tell Sears that I received the microwave like that. But I don't know if that will work.

Please help.
Just my .02 and a few points:

The person who is "supposed" to be a contractor..did you at least check his qualifications, credentials and better yet, his track record?

If he is qualified, why would he not at least read and follow the installation instructions? Did he do any additional drilling and/or damage to the overhead area?

You should at least have a limited warranty that came with the unit..Are you referring to the additional warranty they try to sell you when you check out?

From the way it looks, you are stuck with the microwave unless you can get this so-called "contractor" to pay for a replacement. DO NOT accept a new one from him with the stipulation that he attempt to install it again. (i.e..no strings attached) On another note..is the unit still functional, or did he damage any wiring, etc?

And this "friend" who told you to lie about receiving the unit like that..well, to be honest, If it were me, I would be telling this person goodbye. A real friend would never, ever tell you to use deception to return a product in order to obtain a refund or exchange. No, it won't work..it's outright fraud, period.

As Pitt Chick stated, get someone who is qualified with credentials to do the work. Would you just take anyone's word that they are a doctor and allow them to operate on you? The same should go for your home as well.

Granted..paying a professional will cost more, but using people who are not trained or qualified to do something will cost you a LOT more in terms of money and headaches.

Last edited by Gil3; 12-15-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 01:15 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,183,697 times
Sears knows if an appliance was shipped FS (factory sealed), SO (store opened but never used as a display or anything where damage would have occured), or RR (returend or restocked where damage may have occured). If you attempt to claim a FS was received damage, they will know.

The person who damaged the product is responsible. had you contracted with Sears to install it and they damaged it, they would have replaced it at their cost. had you contracted with Larry the Licensed Contractor and Larry damaged it, he would have had to replace it on his dime. If you used Helen handyman and Helen damaged it, she foots the bill for a replacement. And, if you use Clueless Cousin of a Friend to install it and Clueless damaged it Clueless replaces it at their cost.

To even consider attemting to get Sears to replace something that was damaged outside their control is a dirty underhanded act by a slimmy fraudulent person. Boo to you!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:49 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,479,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

To even consider attemting to get Sears to replace something that was damaged outside their control is a dirty underhanded act by a slimmy fraudulent person. Boo to you!

Yup!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:40 PM

40,672 posts, read 15,530,933 times
I agree with the others. There's no grey area here. It is simply WRONG to return an item that was damaged AFTER you received it in perfect condition. Technically, it would be a criminal act (fraud).
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM

40,006 posts, read 57,873,960 times
Go after the "supposed to be a contractor". HE damaged your microwave, not SEARS.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 AM

15,278 posts, read 20,217,391 times
You asked this same question in the Home Interior Design and Decorating forum:

Help with Sear appliance return
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products