U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 4,779,166 times

Advertisements

Is it true that if you buy something from Amazon and ask for 3-5 day shipping, then they use USPS - but if it's 1-2 days, it's UPS?

I'm going to order some CDs or DVDs from Amazon and I was hoping it will just go into my regular mailbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,996,695 times
They also use FedEx.
There's no way to tell for sure which method they will use. Their goal is to get it to you within a certain time frame. So depending on your location from the fulfillment center, it may be one or the other.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM

I don't like dealing with UPS or FedEx.
When you order something you select 3-5 days, or 1 day, or 2 day. That's it.
I suppose I should try 3-5 days and see what happens.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,767,014 times
Often, they use a combination. Fedex and UPS make daily drop offs to your local Post Office, causing an additional delay - packages dropped off by Fedex and UPS are held for a day before being distributed.

And the USPS doesn't have it's own planes - they use those owned by Fedex and UPS, btw, so even if you THINK you're avoiding them, you're not.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 AM

24,503 posts, read 36,005,864 times
I use 2-Day shipping through Amazon. It's almost always UPS. Occasionally FedEx.

Amazon rarely ever misses their estimated delivery date.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,996,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I use 2-Day shipping through Amazon. It's almost always UPS. Occasionally FedEx.

Amazon rarely ever misses their estimated delivery date.
This has been my experience as well. And I order from Amazon fairly often.

OP, If you can find your items on Amazon, where a merchant seller is offering it (and it doesn't say 'fulfilled by amazon') there is a good chance that it will come through the USPS, because it is physically shipped by a regular person (aka, a 3rd Party Merchant seller) and the most inexpensive way to ship CD's and DVD's is USPS Media Mail.

But if your order is shipped from an Amazon warehouse, it will most likely come UPS.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:04 PM

4,841 posts, read 6,738,972 times
I have to get all my amazon orders shipped to my office because I never know what form of shipping they will use. I am never home to sign for UPS or FedEX and there is no safe place to leave the packages. I wish they would tell you when you place an order which form it will be- then I could ship the USPS to my home and the others to my office.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:49 PM

Has anyone here selected Standard Shipping when they buy something on Amazon?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,127,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is it true that if you buy something from Amazon and ask for 3-5 day shipping, then they use USPS - but if it's 1-2 days, it's UPS?
In my experience, this is correct.

Only once (I buy at least once a month on Amazon) I had to go to UPS to get my package because they refused to put it on my mailbox or give it to our office manager (I live in an apt. complex now). I HAD to sign. Amazon tried to solve the issue and even called me to let me know but UPS people were really stubborn, we couldn't agree on a specific date and time, and I needed my package ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Has anyone here selected Standard Shipping when they buy something on Amazon?
Yep, and my packages usually take from a couple of days to less than a week to come home (except when they come from CA for some reason ).

Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 AM

8,521 posts, read 14,180,301 times
I always try to get $25 or more in products and on most occassions it's free shipping via USPS.

I must use USPS because of my work schedule, I will not be around to get UPS/FedEx. At least I can pick the package up on the weekend if the mail lady does not leave it. With UPS, they only have weekday pickup in my area and it's closed after 5pm. No good for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products