U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2012, 12:05 PM

460 posts, read 1,640,506 times
Default Package was stolen off my porch -- does Post Office reimburse?

An uninsured package worth $30 was stolen off my front porch yesterday. Does anyone know what the post office policy is on reimbursement? Tracking showed it was delivered yesterday and my regular mail person just told me they definitely left it there yesterday but it's gone
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 12:23 PM

19,618 posts, read 13,709,132 times
I've been reimbursed in this scenario. Just call them and show them the mailing receipt (usually the sender would do the calling)... and they often reimburse the shipping expenses. If it was insured, you'd get the $30 too!

Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 PM

1,034 posts, read 568,945 times
The post office is completely useless. We didn't get mail one day this week and when I called to complain was told I would get a callback in 2 business days. Today is day 3 and no phone call.

Also they fail to pick up our outgoing mail regularly. AND...a package a friend mailed to me TWO weeks ago from Ohio STILL hasn't arrived. These people have NO accountability whatsoever. I'm surprised no one has gone POSTAL on them yet.

Of course being that I'm so pissed with them at the moment...I'm probably not being very objective.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:46 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,675,335 times
The OP will need to report the mail package stolen:
How To Report Stolen Mail | Made Manual

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/c...complaint.aspx

Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 AM

8,848 posts, read 8,943,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
The post office is completely useless. We didn't get mail one day this week and when I called to complain was told I would get a callback in 2 business days. Today is day 3 and no phone call.
This happened to me as well. I agree the post office is completely useless. The post office lost the package. It had a tracking number and everything and they lost it.

Luckily I purchased the product through Paypal and filed a claim with them and was reimbursed the amount by them but the post office did nothing.

I've had horrible experiences with the U.S. Postal Service. I use Fed Ex or UPS now.

My advice is to buy things with a credit card (even if it means you pay more) and if you have a choice, use an American Express card. AMEX is awesome about issues like this. They reimburse no questions asked. I've had AMEX cover me on so many occasions like this.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM

1,034 posts, read 568,945 times
They have also broken several Netflix DVDs which I had been dying to watch and now have to wait for replacements. I also have to worry that Netflix secretly thinks that I broke them. I hope they realize how messed up the post office is.

I finally got a callback yesterday. After 5 days. The woman on the phone actually said that sometimes it will happen that you won't get mail one day, due to illnesses, floods etc. Whatever happened to that adage of the mail delivering through hail, snow, sleet etc ?

She didn't like it very much when I pointed out that having just come through Nov & Dec they've had all kinds of extra holidays which customers have had to wait through and now we have to put up with additional days which aren't even holidays.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:12 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,264,583 times
The US Post Office will reimbush you for the lost of mail providing the sender paid for that service. All to often the senders don;t realize the limits of liability based on the service they purchased and the average person doesn;t know, so everyone thinks the US Post Office is messed up when they dont do something. If I went into a resturant and paid for a cold sandwich, should I expect the resturant to refund my money because it wasn;t hot? If I bought shoes but left them on the top of the car and drove away, should the store refund my money because I don;t have the shoes?

If you bought a service that calls for dropping the package at your door and thats what was done, they deliverd on the service. If someone stole the package, maybe you need to ask the police to deliver on their service you paid for in taxes. I laugh because i hear so many people whine when something doesn;t go right on the delivery but they whine even louder when the US Postal service imposes tougher deliver rules like making you come to the PO if they cant hand deliver, or requirng you to install a locked container for packages.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,396,108 times
No they will not, you stated in was uninsured so you are pretty much out of luck.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:19 PM

5,225 posts, read 2,231,286 times
Why is usps doing this? No delivery service should be leaving items on porches!
Here is my experience with 3 services in my area:
** UPS leaves items on porches with not even a knock on the door. If it goes to the wrong porch (even a neighbor's who is away on vacation), it is flagged as "delivered". This has happened to me 3 times. They are very difficult to contact and will tell you that their driver delivered it - end of story. If the home is vacant, your package sits there for eternity.
** Fedex can't find my house. I am not hidden. They make a single phone call to the residence, and if I miss it they flag it as "attempted delivery, customer not available". They could easily check the local post office to locate me, but do not.
** USPS has been the most reliable of all. The driver delivers large packages to the door personally, although I don't know what they do if I'm not there.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-27-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM

5,550 posts, read 8,312,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Why is usps doing this? No delivery service should be leaving items on porches!
Here is my experience with 3 services in my area:
** UPS leaves items on porches with not even a knock on the door. If it goes to the wrong porch (even a neighbor's who is away on vacation), it is flagged as "delivered". This has happened to me 3 times. They are very difficult to contact and will tell you that their driver delivered it - end of story. If the home is vacant, your package sits there for eternity.
** Fedex can't find my house. I am not hidden. They make a single phone call to the residence, and if I miss it they flag it as "attempted delivery, customer not available". They could easily check the local post office to locate me, but do not.
** USPS has been the most reliable of all. The driver delivers large packages to the door personally, although I don't know what they do if I'm not there.
I try my damn hardest not to have anything shipped via USPS. If I know something I'm ordering will be shipped via USPS and can't change it, I redirect it to my P.O. box. I have a P.O. box b/c I heard horror stories about the mail service in Chicago and, after a box of checks and some Netflix DVDs never showed up in my mailbox, I made it a point to switch the majority of my mail to my p.o. box. I find my mail isn't lost/damaged as often if it never leave the main post office.

for UPS, I signed up for their special tracking program. I get up to date texts regarding a time estimate of when my package my arrive and I have the option of holding the package at a facility so I can pick it up at no extra costs (have used this a lot for small packages, like a couple of iPods I've gifted).

I've never had to deal w/ Fed-Ex other than when one of my laptops was delivered. I had to travel way out of my way to pick it up because they claim I wasn't home when they came by. I was home and waiting by the window and watched the fed-ex truck slowly roll down the street past my apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products