U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM

996 posts, read 1,411,373 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a list of credit cards that offer free cash if you purchase a certain amount using the card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:43 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,699,619 times
LOL!!!!

I'd imagine you'd have to utilize that card an awful lot to get the cash .... I can't answer the question, as I have no debt, and I HATE credit cards. Unless you pay them in full each month, credit cards sell debt.

Get a subscription to, 'Money Magazine'. You can learn A LOT. I have once Visa- CitiBank at 4% interest. I don't carry a balance, I barely use it and I have a very high credit score.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 PM

There is no reason to hate credit cards if you are financially responsible. I use them for the benefits and incur absolutely no costs.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:17 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,699,619 times
I don't need them- if I can't pay cash, I don't need it ... and that works beautifully for me.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I don't need them- if I can't pay cash, I don't need it ... and that works beautifully for me.
The problem is that you are missing out on various deals, like cash back bonuses.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,220,094 times
Not sure what you mean by "free cash". Are you talking about sign-up bonuses that reward you after your first $x amount of purchases (often $100-$300)? Or are you talking about standard rewards card (e.g. 5% cash back in some category, 1% overall)?

Either way, I've found the best resource for this stuff is Fatwallet's finance forums. This thread in particular is helpful for rewards cards:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/711457/

Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Ah, I meant the sign-up bonuses. Thanks for the link! It is awesome.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:48 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,704,990 times
You should also consider the card itself which many people overlook. Do they provide good customer service? Do they cover you when you get ripped off or do they give you a hard time? Do they actually deliver what they promise or are their catches. Be weary of signing up with someone just because of their cash back or signing bonus or other rewards. You want a reputable credit card not just great terms

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-31-2012 at 01:57 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,704,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
With all due respect, it's quite foolish not to use a credit card if you pay your balance each month. Credit card companies make money on delinquent users which amounts to the vast majority of their subscribers. You are passing up cash, free airline tickets and other rewards. To say you don't need them sounds more like you are not comfortable using them and don't have enough experience using them. Most people that I know of who oppose credit cards are older people who have no experience receiving cash or rewards from credit cards because back in the day, there was no incentive to using them if you paid off your balance each month and they were a trap. Furthermore, in the past, a lot of places didn't take credit cards so you still had to keep cash with you. Things are different now and if you are responsible, credit cards can improve your life. Aside from providing rewards, they act like an insurance company and protect you against fraud, failed service and even insurance in the case of car rental. The protection alone is worth it, I can't tell you how many times my credit card company protected me. Recently Sears didn't refund money they owed me, I called my credit card company and the money was there the next morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products