U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 15,975,346 times

Advertisements

Christmas shopping? Okay, well the manager from work and I already have the owner's gift. Sheesh, to think I started in July this year is quite frightening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 08:36 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,425,197 times
I try to keep my Christmas shopping days limited, usually 3-4 times with emphasis on the day after Thanksgiving. I always overspend and it drives me nuts, it's amazing how some little things like stereos, Xbox's, PS2's, jewelry etc adds up. I bought my mother a Tiffany charm bracelet for Christmas the year I graduated and every year I add a new charm. My pop is pretty easy to buy for, he loves golfing (as do I) so I always try to get him something that'll either improve or "seemingly" improve his game.

Plus my girlfriend, co-workers, neices and nephews, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles, extended family, friends, and others, it really can shoot into the thousands fairly easy.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,399,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I try to keep my Christmas shopping days limited, usually 3-4 times with emphasis on the day after Thanksgiving. I always overspend and it drives me nuts, it's amazing how some little things like stereos, Xbox's, PS2's, jewelry etc adds up. I bought my mother a Tiffany charm bracelet for Christmas the year I graduated and every year I add a new charm. My pop is pretty easy to buy for, he loves golfing (as do I) so I always try to get him something that'll either improve or "seemingly" improve his game.

Plus my girlfriend, co-workers, neices and nephews, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles, extended family, friends, and others, it really can shoot into the thousands fairly easy.
How can I get on your list? You give awesome gifts! This is why you spend so much.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,425,197 times
Quote:
How can I get on your list? You give awesome gifts! This is why you spend so much.
Haha, well I don't know about awesome gifts...I give gifts that people actually like (no fruitcake here). It isn't like a buy EVERYONE jewelry or some other expensive item but I do spoil my neices and nephews rotten. I love to see their expressions when they open the presents, it's well worth the price. And I think I'm pretty much in-line with other Christmas shoppers, most people spend a few thousand of Christmas gifts and I like to follow the masses.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:28 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,945,350 times
Quote:
Haha, well I don't know about awesome gifts...I give gifts that people actually like (no fruitcake here). It isn't like a buy EVERYONE jewelry or some other expensive item but I do spoil my neices and nephews rotten. I love to see their expressions when they open the presents, it's well worth the price. And I think I'm pretty much in-line with other Christmas shoppers, most people spend a few thousand of Christmas gifts and I like to follow the masses.

Yep, I love to give, I like seeing peoples faces, I never understood that when I was a child I heard that expression it's better to give than receive but now that I'm an adult I understand it.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 PM

502 posts, read 2,161,277 times
I've always wanted to start early or do the shopping after Christmas and take advantage of all the sales but it never happens. I have my kid's gifts already though so I guess I get points on that one!

One of these days I will be efficient and be done with the shopping before 12/24!

Old 09-16-2006, 03:49 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,445,761 times
Quote:
And I think I'm pretty much in-line with other Christmas shoppers, most people spend a few thousand of Christmas gifts and I like to follow the masses.
Gulp. I feel pretty stingy. I spend $300 for Christmas gifts tops each year. Of course, I don't have children, and I just buy gifts for the immediate family: mom, dad, two brothers, grandma, and sister-in-law.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:01 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,424,461 times
Excuse me but I'm offended...It's HOLIDAY shopping!!!
Sorry guys, couldn't resist!

Old 09-18-2006, 07:03 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,633,569 times
I own & moderate a large dog-related yahoogroup and for the last couple of years we've done a "Secret Santa" gift exchange. Since we have quite a few non-US members, it gets set up early so people can mail overseas parcels surface rate. Air mailing parcels can be horrendously expensive.

Also, most of my family lives overseas so I tend to shop for their gifts in October because I am cheap and would rather not spend $300 on postage costs!
I can say "holiday" gifts because I shop for both Christmas and Hannukah.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:28 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,201,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Gulp. I feel pretty stingy. I spend $300 for Christmas gifts tops each year. Of course, I don't have children, and I just buy gifts for the immediate family: mom, dad, two brothers, grandma, and sister-in-law.
Good heavens! Don't feel bad. I generally don't spend more than $500, and I buy for thirteen people. I actually fight very hard not to spend too much. For one thing, I can't afford to spend alot just out of hand, and secondly, I will not load up my credit card, (yes, I have only one ). I don't feel like taking out a second mortgage, just to pay off Christmas debts! Just why is it, that folks feel like they have to go overboard? We just need to be with our loved ones, enjoy spending time with them, show them that we love them, by giving them good memories. It will mean much more to them, than an expensive gift. Maybe that's why I like Thanksgiving better. So far, that hasn't been overcommercialized, the way Christmas has. All these corporations have taken Christmas over, and we, as consumers, have bought into it! Been to Sam's, Wal-Mart, Target, etc., lately? We have Christmas rammed down our throat so much, for so long, that by the time the real Christmas season rolls around, (which I consider to be in December), I have to work at it, not to become a rather Scrooge-like character! Well, eough of my soapbox speech. Just had to get that off of my chest. Maybe I should have put this on the pet peeves thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products