U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 AM

38,690 posts, read 90,202,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
The root of the problem has nothing to do with the groceries, the check, or the amounts or the clerk.
It just seems that in today's society, everyone is looking for someone else to blame or put the burden on. . .
Such as one's own failure to get their $20 before leaving the register is all the cashier's fault?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 590 times
Default Uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
I get it Paula, I was being sarcastic. I'm just saying the older I get, the less I expect. When I go to the store and give the cashier $22.63 (one twenty, two ones and .63) for a $10.63 purchase, he or she looks confused, tells me I gave them too much money, when all I want is a ten back, I want to pull all the precious little hair out of my head.
That would be $12 in change not $10

Old 09-08-2014, 03:44 PM

11,626 posts, read 20,787,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfgolfnc View Post
That would be $12 in change not $10
I hope you're not a cashier - the company will go broke.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:07 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,021,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I hope you're not a cashier - the company will go broke.
Why would the company go broke???

$22.63-$10.63= $12.00

Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM

6,707 posts, read 18,979,696 times
There was a time in the past using a NCR register all you had to do was enter the total given and the register would come back with a $10 bill in change using the posters $20...2 singles and the 0.63 change.

As a former Grocery clerk etc in my early days I/We would be able to understand the customers thinking while today most cashiers are dense......sorry but that is applicable to a non grocery operation.

Todays chain stores and the Retail Clerks Union would have things right....trust me after being in the trade for 23 yrs.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:23 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,127,415 times
Remind me never to seen Op to store.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:00 PM

6,707 posts, read 18,979,696 times
There was a time in the past using a NCR register all you had to do was enter the total given and the register would come back with a $10 bill in change using the posters $20...2 singles and the 0.63 change.(the 2- $1 bills was returned)

As a former Grocery clerk etc in my early days I/We would be able to understand the customers thinking while today most cashiers are dense......sorry but that is applicable to a non grocery operation.

Todays chain stores and the Retail Clerks Union would have things right....trust me after being in the trade for 23 yrs.

Sorry....(Old age and the thinking does not keep in sync with the typing stiff fingers)

Old 09-08-2014, 05:29 PM

553 posts, read 489,712 times
Just a suggestion...but on future you might want to ask about this before you write the check. Nowadays many stores either prohibit this or limit the amount you can write over. This limits the amount of money they have to keep in the drawers, making them less appealing targets for robbers.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:51 PM

6,820 posts, read 5,425,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I lost my ATM and waiting for my bank to issue me a new one. So, I'm writing checks. I go to my local grocery store and purchased several items and wrote the check over $20 for cash back. I didn't realize it under after I came home that I didn't receive my $20. I look at the receipt, and it only showed the amount of my purchase. So, I go back to the store, they see my check, still in the register, and had me change the amount of my original check and then I wrote a check for $20. They were very nice, but said I should tell them in the future that I want cash back.

Shouldn't they look at the check and see what the amount I wrote was??
You should make it a habit not to leave the register area until you have everything put back in your wallet or purse.

Make sure you have the correct change back, put your credit or atm card back in your wallet/purse etc.

Is this how you lost your card? I did this once and learned my lesson. I used to rush to leave and just stick my card in my pocket. At least it was turned in and turned off.

My other half loses his ATM card constantly. But he just goes to the bank and they issue him a new one on the spot - wells fargo.

By constantly - about three times a year. He never learns - lol.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:02 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,756,951 times
OP, you lost your debit card. You didn't tell the cashier that you were writing the check for a higher amount. You didn't tell the cashier that you were still owed the $20 and walked away. But you accuse the cashier of being "irresponsible" for what seems like an honest mistake, and probably got him into trouble with his employer.

So, who's really irresponsible here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products