U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,326,050 times

Advertisements

I guess that this is the best forum to ask this question.
So i need to order from Amazon which i do often but for now i only have a p.o. box.
In the past when i've had both i've sometimes wanted a product shipped to a p.o. box so i'll place my order only to find out that whoever is shipping doesn't provide that option.
Is there any way that i can find out before i place the order whether or not they ship to a p.o. box?
And often there is more than one source to order the product from so obviously i'd choose the one that ships the way that i want if i know first.
Thanks in advance.
(i used to like Amazon ... years ago ... now it's a pain in the a** with lousy customer service. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 PM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
Why not enter the P'O? Box and see if its rejected.If you have a problem with Amazon why order from them?Never has a probelm ;myself.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why not enter the P'O? Box and see if its rejected.If you have a problem with Amazon why order from them?Never has a probelm ;myself.
I may be mistaken but i thought that by the time that i learn that they cannot ship to a p.o. box it's too late to cancel the order.
But that doesn't sound right does it? ... i assume that they don't charge my credit card until the item is shipped?
Why order from Amazon?
Sometimes it is my only option.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:31 AM

11,053 posts, read 9,218,066 times
Because Fedex and UPS will not deliver to a PO box.

Call a friend who has a physical address and have it shipped there.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post

I realize that.
But some Amazon "stores" (whatever they're called) do ship usps.
The question was how can i know if a particular product can be shipped via usps before i finalize the order.
Amazon used to do that ... they'd give you a heads up before finalizing.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,337,326 times
I order from Amazon alot and it's really going to stink when I move to Europe for the next year or so...

Old 03-10-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
The question was how can i know if a particular product can be shipped via usps before i finalize the order.
You can't. Many of them have no real store. You create an order, they transmit the order and whomever has it ships it in whatever manner it good for them. To give you an example, I ordered a bundle of three items from the same vendor on Amazon.com. One item arrived UPS, One item arrived Fedex and one was shipped via DHL but arrived via USPS.All three items came from different locations across the US.

Quote:
Amazon used to do that ... they'd give you a heads up before finalizing.
Not anymore. We're at a point the ship from address is a lie. I had one item that showed as tracking from a partner facility in California. When it arrived it had an import stamp on the box. So I typed in that number and found out it was actually shipped out of Canada, but the label stated California on it.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Well, after i posted i took a chance and ordered the product that i needed from Amazon and it's shipping to my p.o. box.
So i got lucky!
You'd think it would be quite easy for each supplier to provide the appropriate info to Amazon so that the consumer knows whether or not a product can be shipped to a p.o. box before the order if finalized.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM

15,215 posts, read 17,920,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post

I did temp delivery work for UPS and one thing they stress is that UPS stuff can't be placed into the mailbox because it is federal property, I'd think that extends to PO Boxes as well.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I'd think that extends to PO Boxes as well.
The problem is at the Post Office level. They will not store packages that they dont get paid for final delivery of. But this is changing. UPS & Fedex are doing a cost share with the PO's. If you start tracking some of the numbers now, you'll see the numbers show up on their sites and on the USPS site. Thus UPS/Fedex ships it across the country and delivers it to zip code PO on the package and then the PO does the final delivery. Amazon is unable to list the delivery method for the reason I listed in #7. The vendors are not consistant in their shipping methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products