U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:22 AM

841 posts, read 1,690,057 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to this area, I discovered Aldi which is a discount store for food. My husband was skeptical but we started to save a lot of money so we continue to alternate between Aldi and Walmart Superstore for food. Occasionally we go to a supermarket.

We don't have the budget now to shop at supermarkets.

I used to think the deals were really great in Aldi but now I find their meat to be horrible. The chicken is funky. Even Walmart's meat has gone down in quality.

It's rough when you have to shop discount stores. I often buy their frozen, processed meats which I DO NOT WANT TO DO but I can make the $ stretch more.

Has anyone else found the meat to be getting worse at these discount stores?

I remember the days of chicken tasting good (I usually just buy chicken and pork and the odd hamburger meat).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 AM

24,347 posts, read 33,593,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
When I first moved to this area, I discovered Aldi which is a discount store for food. My husband was skeptical but we started to save a lot of money so we continue to alternate between Aldi and Walmart Superstore for food. Occasionally we go to a supermarket.

We don't have the budget now to shop at supermarkets.

I used to think the deals were really great in Aldi but now I find their meat to be horrible. The chicken is funky. Even Walmart's meat has gone down in quality.

It's rough when you have to shop discount stores. I often buy their frozen, processed meats which I DO NOT WANT TO DO but I can make the $ stretch more.

Has anyone else found the meat to be getting worse at these discount stores?

I remember the days of chicken tasting good (I usually just buy chicken and pork and the odd hamburger meat).
What's asinine is how meat is getting more and more expensive and the quality is getting worse and worse to the point where it's becoming a highly-adulterated, nearly poisonous health hazard.

My advice, and I'm sure you won't like it, is to significantly reduce the amount of meat in your diet. Legumes (beans) are a much cheaper and healthier source of protein than meat, and you won't have to worry about "funky" smells from meat at discount stores.

Even if I did eat meat, I would not buy it from Aldi or Wal-Mart. Ever. Not even on a dare. This is because people tear those stores up by putting items in their carts, then changing their minds and putting merchandise in random spots. This includes perishable items like meat, milk, frozen goods, etc. It can sit out there a good long while before an employee comes by picking items off shelves that don't belong there. Once they fill up a cart, they usually leave it at the front of the store for someone to organize; they're organized by section or aisle, then the items are re-stocked when someone has time. According to store policy, perishable items are not left unchilled for extended periods of time.

In practice, they can sit at room temperature for hours. Regularly. For this reason alone, I wouldn't recommend buying meat from any discount superstore, including Wal-Mart, Aldi, Super Target, Sam's, Costco, etc. All of them have this problem.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 AM

8,267 posts, read 18,723,616 times
Gosh, Costco's meat is wonderful, really.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-02-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Gosh, Costco's meat is wonderful, really.
I've personally witnessed packages of meat in odd sections of Costco at room temperature with blood running out of them and down the shelves.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM

My husband is a vegetarian and my son doesn't like much more than chicken and pork when it comes to meat, and I can pretty much take it or leave it, but I do like poultry and the occasional hamburger.

I would LOVE to be able to just give up meat 100% but I dislike beans and I don't like many vegetables. My husband hates fake protein sources like those crumbles or tofu. If it tastes like meat he is not for it. My son is just a very picky teen who will like something this week and hate it next. Cooking is a pain in the butt in my house some days.

I do cook about 80% vegetarian now. I make a lot of pasta, or potato dishes, or chili without meat or eggs. It's just easier to make something that we all eat or they eat and I grab whatever.

I agree you have to be careful where you get your food from.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM

18,573 posts, read 55,502,062 times
Aldi hamburger is probably the worst product in their stores. I bought it twice (just to be sure) and refuse to buy it again. Even excessive garlic and tomato sauce couldn't make it palatable. Around here, whole chicken is usually available for about a dollar a pound in at least two or three stores at any time. I can make a chicken last for a number of meals. Shopping for meats can be a whole new adventure. Beans have been steadily rising in price until they are no longer a bargain.

The saving for us has been ample freezer space. There are months we live out of it.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM

10,953 posts, read 8,841,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
My husband is a vegetarian and my son doesn't like much more than chicken and pork when it comes to meat, and I can pretty much take it or leave it, but I do like poultry and the occasional hamburger.

I would LOVE to be able to just give up meat 100% but I dislike beans and I don't like many vegetables. My husband hates fake protein sources like those crumbles or tofu. If it tastes like meat he is not for it. My son is just a very picky teen who will like something this week and hate it next. Cooking is a pain in the butt in my house some days.

I do cook about 80% vegetarian now. I make a lot of pasta, or potato dishes, or chili without meat or eggs. It's just easier to make something that we all eat or they eat and I grab whatever.

I agree you have to be careful where you get your food from.
We don't have Aldi's around here so I can't speak for their meats one way or another. But I CAN tell you what I do to be able to afford meat and that is I buy out of the "reduced for quick sale" bin ONLY.

Find a different grocery store in your area (not Aldi's) and go to their meat department and look for a separate section (not all stores actually have it in a different section - you might just have to look for the sticker on the packages indicating that they are reduced mixed in with the rest of the meat). Pick out one or two items and take them home and see if you like their meat better than Aldi's.

There is nothing wrong with "reduced for quick sale" meat; take it home and use it within a day or two or put directly into the freezer for a later time.

I find that it's usually what they've had on sale that week that mostly ends up marked down. They cut and wrap too much for what is actually sold. And, since it's already on sale, when they mark it down anywhere for 30-50%, then you get an even better deal.

If you don't like the first store's meat that you try, next time try a different store - just look for the marked down meat.

You could also check out your local meat markets. I buy my extra lean ground beef from a locally owned meat market - $3.09 a pound if I buy a minimum of five pounds - and it's ground right there (no pink slime).

The meat market doesn't offer "reduced....." meat, though, and their regular cuts are too expensive (except for their "country sausage" and I can usually get chicken breasts - 5# packages - cheaper there), so I get all my roasts, pork chops, etc. only at the two stores I shop at locally - Safeway and a locally owned Thriftway (which has really, really nice meat). The other night, I cooked up three nice chicken fried steaks that ended up costing less than a dollar each because they were reduced.

I have a freezer full of "reduced....." meat.

Last edited by Cinebar; 04-02-2012 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 02:24 PM

19,149 posts, read 19,988,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've personally witnessed packages of meat in odd sections of Costco at room temperature with blood running out of them and down the shelves.
I'd be willing to bet that you could find this happening in any supermarket.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I'd be willing to bet that you could find this happening in any supermarket.
I've seen it only occasionally, meaning once or twice in the last several years. The time I saw it at Whole Foods, I got what was in my cart for free because the manager was so embarrassed.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM

You guys are right. Harry, yes about the beans, but dried are still a good price. Canned aren't good (too much sodium) but convenient.

I noticed one thing going up is seltzer/soda water/fizzy water/club soda ==depends where you live what they call it.

It used to be 3 for a dollar now it's a dollar a bottle at Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products