Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM

18 posts, read 47,167 times

Advertisements

Hi after wearing my engagement ring 12 years...a side diamond fell out of setting. I chalked it to bad luck and bought a new one for 600 and then paid a reputable local jewelry store with many positive reviews another 250 to reset the stone and I decided to solder it all together with my wedding ring same time. I was happy with the work and the ring looked good as new.

Last week, I looked down, and the same stone is gone again! I looked on my repair receipt and there is no mention of a warranty at all. Am I out of luck? What seems reasonable to you? If I pay for jewelry repair, isn't the expectation that my ring would stay intact a decent period of time? What would you expect the jeweler to do for you? I'm heading to the store to talk to them today just wanted to see what others thought. This happened 50 days after the repair work was completed.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
As somebody who worked in jewelry repair for years, I can offer my opinion. If a prong is broken, you would most likely be held responsible for the replacement. If the prongs are all intact, we would have supplied the new stone. I think what is most likely to happen is that you would be offered a replacement stone at jeweler cost regardless of the scenario.

Do you have an insurance rider for your jewelry?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Thanks alot for your opinion. I do have insurance, but the deductible is 500 and the stone is about 600. I would not file a claim for that little. The stone was a small one--not in a prong, it was in a band. The gold on edge looked worn away a bit. If they had warned me that my setting was not strong or needed work, I would have gotten it done. They didn't say anything! I feel like it would be fair for me to buy the stone for them to reset it for free.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Did you ask them to evaluate the condition of the band? If you came in and asked for a replacement stone and not mentioned wanting their opinion as to the quality of the band itself, they may have done what you asked because at that time, there wasn;t anything so out of whack to warrent a warning. My mom's ring had a tendency to pop a stone but it wasn;t due to any defect in the ring, it was a defect in the design and how she wore it and what she did all combined. So from time to time, the way her hand would come into contact with a normal everyday item, caused the stone to be pushed out of its setting and could pop out if not corrcted. This wasn;t somethingt he jewler could see happeneing so they had no idea that it required some special way to anchor the stone in the ring.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Thanks again for the perspective...I had the ring 12 years with no issues on the design or stones falling out. Just seemed odd that it would happen again so soon. I'll see what they say! Appreciate the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products