U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:15 PM

67 posts, read 192,840 times

Advertisements

I noticed that several of these are paid websites, such as consumer reports, what free websites do you guys use when trying to get opinions on products, such as household items, computers, cars? or even apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 12:44 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,029 times
For computers and almost anything related to technology, I use PC Mag. They have reviews and buying guides.

There is also CNET Reviews

But a very good guide based on opinions of the average user: Epinions

But remember, take all of them with a grain of salt. Best review is what your own experience is or your own friends and family can tell you. Liz

Old 09-15-2007, 03:07 PM

428 posts, read 2,272,859 times
epinions. Just be careful, I bought an ice cream maker that has a good review and had to take it back to the store. I need to go over there and refute.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 AM

4,679 posts, read 10,950,591 times
Have used the following - from my bookmarks:
Reviews from Epinions
Consumer World: Everything Consumer
Read Honest Consumer Reviews Compare Prices on thousands of products and services at www.reviewcentre.com
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

Consumer Complaints and Product Reviews @ pissedconsumer.com
Geek.com News: Reviews for Macs, Gaming, Mobile, Chip Technology & More
Product Reviews - Welcome to CNET Reviews - CNET.com
Product Reviews and Reports - Consumer Search.com - Reviewing the Reviewers

New Car Prices, Used Car Pricing, Car Reviews by Edmunds Car Buying Guide
Kelley Blue Book - Enter Your ZIP Code
Cars.com: Consumer Reviews: New & Used Cars, Trucks, SUVs

Consumer Reviews, Product Ratings & Comparison Shopping. Real User Reviews, Compare Reviews (broken link)
Squidoo Homepage

Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 AM

1,252 posts, read 2,379,471 times
epinions is interesting but some folks there are excited about a product and give a glowing review without it passing the test of time. I bought a dvd player that was recommended that went bad after a few months but a tv that is working out great.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
epinions is interesting but some folks there are excited about a product and give a glowing review without it passing the test of time. I bought a dvd player that was recommended that went bad after a few months but a tv that is working out great.
True - but would not single out just epinions on that; have seen it in just about every review source. That is why I usually review multiple review sites before purchasing, esp. if its a major item. And usually look quite carefully at the negatives - can learn much from that at times... Of course, w/ all that said, lemons occur, even in the highest rated products [I'm a quality manager, and a Six Sigma Green Belt, so will warn that most companies are only at a 'sigma' level of 3 or 4, at best; meaning that they may have 6,000 to over 300,000 defects per million products Goal of companies that are performing Six Sigma is to have less than 3.4 defects per million].

Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,029 times
Quote:
True - but would not single out just epinions on that; have seen it in just about every review source. That is why I usually review multiple review sites before purchasing, esp. if its a major item. And usually look quite carefully at the negatives - can learn much from that at times... Of course, w/ all that said, lemons occur, even in the highest rated products [I'm a quality manager, and a Six Sigma Green Belt, so will warn that most companies are only at a 'sigma' level of 3 or 4, at best; meaning that they may have 6,000 to over 300,000 defects per million products Goal of companies that are performing Six Sigma is to have less than 3.4 defects per million].
Shadow, that's why I said what I did...to "take all of them with a grain of salt".

How long have you been a Six Sigma Green Belt? I think that's great. Are you working on your Black Belt?

Liz

Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Shadow, that's why I said what I did...to "take all of them with a grain of salt".

How long have you been a Six Sigma Green Belt? I think that's great. Are you working on your Black Belt?

Liz
/semi-hijack: Thanks! Have had the actual belt for bit over 1 year; have worked/studied Sickme Suckma for ~5 years. Actually, the training have had falls somewhere in between green and black; but yes, will be taking the Black Belt training hopefully w/in next year when its offered. Have you worked with this quite some too? Hijack end/

Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 AM

1,252 posts, read 2,379,471 times
gee, taking all the grains of salt sure makes a fella thirsty.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
gee, taking all the grains of salt sure makes a fella thirsty.
Well here then, let me have my beermaid wrench bring us all something to quench that, 'eh?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products